VIC WTB: 27.5 Wheelset

Ghostee

Likes Dirt
Ha, thanks guys.
No harm intended I'm sure. All gravy.

I have just sold a wedge of stuff so I came on here to say that I think I will take them.

However the $100 set has appealed to me as it goes.
They 15mm and 12/142mm? Bolt or centre and are they heavy as all shit?

Reverend, do you indeed have some pictures?
I'd like to make an informed decision.

Thanks guys. The forum is strong.
Sorry man, I have already paid the reverend for his wheels...
But mine, yes, 15f and 12/142r, 6 bolt.
Weight wise, I don't think they are too bad, don't know exact weight but i havent had any issues or anuthing, im only swapping cos I want to run tubeless and they are not compatible.

Downside is the postage to get to you, I paid 57.80, as per auspost website, to reverend for shipping so assume it'd be the same to send a set of wheels down to you too...

moorey

call me Mia
Sorry man, I have already paid the reverend for his wheels...
But mine, yes, 15f and 12/142r, 6 bolt.
Weight wise, I don't think they are too bad, don't know exact weight but i havent had any issues or anuthing, im only swapping cos I want to run tubeless and they are not compatible.

Downside is the postage to get to you, I paid 57.80, as per auspost website, to reverend for shipping so assume it'd be the same to send a set of wheels down to you too...
I still say you should make your own thread. Damn snipers taxing from other people's threads...:rant:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I love the smell of fresh cut grass...

No need for anyone to miss out. I can heat stretch a set of 26" rims out to 27.5" if you like? They are dh rims at 26, so should be plenty strong for am at 27.5.

Wicksie

Likes Dirt
Ha, that's quite a skill. Cheers.

Bit of a drop to go from some sweet Stans to Giant OTP, so I might hang out to see if I can get something a bit better. I can stretch to $300.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Ha, that's quite a skill. Cheers.

Bit of a drop to go from some sweet Stans to Giant OTP, so I might hang out to see if I can get something a bit better. I can stretch to $300.

So, why didn't you buy the Reverend's wheels? You'll be waiting a while to get a deal as good as that on 27.5 Stans.

Last edited:

Boom King

I've posted a pair of wheels for under $30. Need to be creative with packaging.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep. Don't Box them. $25 is par for the course.
Really? Not trying to sound like a prick, but if I don't box them are you recommending just wrapping them up in some suitable packaging / paper?

Wouldn't have thought that was the best option but I'm prepared to revisit it. :^)

Boom King

As long as they are an odd shape, they won't be able to use the cubed weight and will have to go by actual weight.

I've used plenty of bubble wrap with strategically placed cardboard and had no issues.

moorey

call me Mia
Really? Not trying to sound like a prick, but if I don't box them are you recommending just wrapping them up in some suitable packaging / paper?

Wouldn't have thought that was the best option but I'm prepared to revisit it. :^)
Well padded and secure round packing. Far safer than a box.

Wicksie

Likes Dirt
I don't have much knowledge on mtb wheels so I'm down to a couple of options.
They don't need to be too solid as I'll only be doing easier runs on this bike.

My budget is $300 so I'm looking at these
Sun Ringle / Inferno
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...-25-mtb-wheelset-inc-tyres-2015/rp-prod142204

Second hand Deore XT $300 posted

Second hand WTB ST i29 with a ding but still holds the tyre. $230 posted

$260 posted new Mavics
In assuming I can space out a 10sp shimano on this 11sp hub.
Also I'm not seeing that these are disk brake hubs?
https://www.merlincycles.com/mavic-crossride-mtb-wheelset-2016-275-142x12mm-91674.html

Ghostees Giant set for $150

Any advice guys?

I'd probably run Stans no tube because is like to run thin ish tyres.

Edit: sorry this is turning in to Q&A but some aren't giving the OLD on the front. I'm running fox float fit 32's which I have assumed are 100mm but could be wrong!

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Unless you are in a super rush, give it a bit longer. SRAM 11/12sp cassettes need a driver hub, but a standard cassette body will take shimano 8,9,10,11sp cassette, and up to 10sp SRAM.
The mavix are disc only.
2nd hand XT...depends on condition. If bearings are flogged, they're for the bin.
The inferno are nothing special, but not bad...and posted, fitted with tyre....not a bad option.
Ghostees wheels? Not even once. Part because ghostees, mainly coz shit giant.

Wicksie

Likes Dirt
Ha, classic. Cheers Moorey.
The more I look the more I'm spewing about those stans.

I'm on a deadline with those WTBs because he's going away but I think I'll pass.
I was just thinking I need to get in on the CRC sale

So maybe hang out here for a bit to see what's around?
Those Mavics are tempting though.

moorey

call me Mia
Ha, classic. Cheers Moorey.
The more I look the more I'm spewing about those stans.

I'm on a deadline with those WTBs because he's going away but I think I'll pass.
I was just thinking I need to get in on the CRC sale

So maybe hang out here for a bit to see what's around?
Those Mavics are tempting though.
I've had the crossride before. Heavy for what they are, but if you're not going to thrash them, and not after a race wheel, they aren't bad. You'd get 75% of your money back on the if you look after them and something nicer pops up later....or just ride them...plenty do, without issues. At least they're new, and posted from Ireland will be quicker than posted within Aus anyway. I'm waiting on a chainring posted from NT over 2 weeks ago.

Wicksie

Likes Dirt
Yeah light is always a bonus but beggars can't be choosers.

Could be a good interim wheel until I get a job. :)

I'll hang fire for a bit in the hopes that another awesome wheelset appears on here.

Good times. Cheers!