WTF have I done? A First Race Journey

Minlak

custom titis
Well I decided to break my race Hymen and get the virginity issue out of the way. I have entered my first official race. I chose the Flight Centre Epic (http://www.cycleepic.com/) and I chose the grand old distance of 87kms. I did keep it real however and entered as a solo clydesdale.
The longest I have ever ridden before was 52km's and that was 10 months ago on a road bike. The most elevation I have ever done was 452m and that was 11mths ago.
Going to keep this going as a bit of training success / failure Journal and so you will all have a place to offer condolences to my wife when I die.

Positives:-
*Something to train for.
*Great Achievement.
*New Jersey
* Get Fitter.
*Lose Weight.

Negatives:-
*Never ridden the distance.
*Winter training.
*Too Fat.
*Horrible at losing weight.

I have the bike able to do it. I have the ability to train. Do I have the will to succeed?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Good luck you will be........yeah.

87 clicks for your first, I did 35 first time, had cramping for 3 days after (mind you, I'd done zero training and had a pizza for pre race breakfast). It'll either be okay or a massive fail. You do get a jersey though :third:

teK--

Eats Squid
Bravo mate 87Kms is a fucking epic effort for a first race. You will hurt and you will not sit or stand or be able to lie down on your back for a few days, ha ha ha.

At that distance any gram you can save off your attire or bag or bike will help... Make sure you cover yourself and feet with anti chaffe pretty much.

But seriously good luck remember to hydrate heaps (even before your race starts) and eat regularly before you're hungry that will go a long way to minimising your pain.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Get your bike setup, nutrition product and gear sorted now!

Train using that and you cut down on surprises come race day

If you can build up to "comfortably" riding 2/3 of the distance/elevation, you can make it on the day

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
Mate... good luck and I hope you do well.

Now the negative.... There's 87km and then there's the Flight Centre Epic 87km. Man, that's a bitch of a 87km ride. I do regular mtb rides of around 100-130 km and I'm still entering the 50km at the Epic.

If you want to (and I'd advise it) get out there for some rides beforehand. I'm on the Sunny Coast, so give me a holler as you're passing through and I'll come join you. Get training bigfella.

Cheers

Minlak

custom titis
Mate... good luck and I hope you do well.

Now the negative.... There's 87km and then there's the Flight Centre Epic 87km. Man, that's a bitch of a 87km ride. I do regular mtb rides of around 100-130 km and I'm still entering the 50km at the Epic.

If you want to (and I'd advise it) get out there for some rides beforehand. I'm on the Sunny Coast, so give me a holler as you're passing through and I'll come join you. Get training bigfella.

Cheers
The advantage on the Epic is the everyone passes through the 50Km mark or so I am told so there is the option to retire at 50 but you know what I want to epic:)

Thanks for the support all this is going to be tough to get in shape for but I need to do it.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
I agree with the comments about training up to 2/3rds of the distance and height gain of the event being a good target. That is generally what I tend to do leading up to events.

I would also just try and get a few solid hours in the saddle, even if this is just some road rides. At least try and get used to say a 3hr ride.

How often are you likely to be able to get out on your bike. I tend to ride on average 6 days a week, and while on average 4 of them are just 30k road rides they have made a massive difference to my overall fitness

danncam

Likes Dirt
My 2c worth, two cheats to help out, Add in getting on the stationary trainer for a half hour of sprint intervals a couple of nights after work a week, you will not believe the quick difference it will make to your endurance.

the other is the 5:2 fast diet is the best male friendly way of shedding a few kilos. I used it to lose about 7 or so kgs, and now do a fairly in-exact and loose 5:2 to stay at the weight I want.

Good luck

My 2c worth, two cheats to help out, Add in getting on the stationary trainer for a half hour of sprint intervals a couple of nights after work a week, you will not believe the quick difference it will make to your endurance.

the other is the 5:2 fast diet is the best male friendly way of shedding a few kilos. I used it to lose about 7 or so kgs, and now do a fairly in-exact and loose 5:2 to stay at the weight I want.

Good luck
Is 5:2 diet a good idea for a dude that needs to train ?

No way I could train on zilch food for a day.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well I decided to break my race Hymen and get the virginity issue out of the way. I have entered my first official race. I chose the Flight Centre Epic (http://www.cycleepic.com/) and I chose the grand old distance of 87kms. I did keep it real however and entered as a solo clydesdale.
The longest I have ever ridden before was 52km's and that was 10 months ago on a road bike. The most elevation I have ever done was 452m and that was 11mths ago.
Going to keep this going as a bit of training success / failure Journal and so you will all have a place to offer condolences to my wife when I die.

Positives:-
*Something to train for.
*Great Achievement.
*New Jersey
* Get Fitter.
*Lose Weight.

Negatives:-
*Never ridden the distance.
*Winter training.
*Too Fat.
*Horrible at losing weight.

I have the bike able to do it. I have the ability to train. Do I have the will to succeed?
There used to be a guy on here that rode lots of big kms in some pretty steep mountains...

Don't focus on the weight loss i know a few hefty fellows that ride big distances. Adjust your diet to good food and routine and get regular training. The wind trainer as already mentioned is a good one for the times riding isn't going to happen, but it isn't he same being on the dirt. So make sure you get both. Build up to he distance.

Worst case scenario is you go down in flames...

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Adjust your diet to good food and routine and get regular training.
+1

I found switching to vanilla, instead of chocolate icecream and moving the bar fridge/freezer away from the armchair to the next room almost doubled my endurance abilities.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Get your bike setup, nutrition product and gear sorted now!

Train using that and you cut down on surprises come race day

If you can build up to "comfortably" riding 2/3 of the distance/elevation, you can make it on the day
+1 to all this, especially the last bit. It's fairly well known that when you're in a proper event, you get a decent psychological boost from just being there, which allows you to push yourself further than you can on an ordinary ride, and getting to the 2/3 mark of your target in training gets you close enough for the mind to take care of the rest. Also try not to get caught up too much thinking about the distance or how long you're out there, just enjoy the ride.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What is your play list going to be? Will you pre-ride the course a few times and try to line up certain songs with specific sections of the trail? Or just let Steve jobs decide shat you listen to?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
+1

I found switching to vanilla, instead of chocolate icecream and moving the bar fridge/freezer away from the armchair to the next room almost doubled my endurance abilities.
Buy it in bigger tubs and always dispense the ice cream while it is rock hard as well, you'll get a better work out.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I managed to do 50km in the Otway Odyssey without letting anybody see me cry (I found running into the bush to be the best way of hiding my shame) so as long as you don't lead a lifestyle as unhealthy as mine you should be fine.

Due to work I didn't have much time on the bike beforehand but I did get in a good few weeks in the gym concentrating on leg and core exercises which definitely helped. Ultimately it was cramp that made my ride such an ordeal so I'd recommend packing as much electrolytes as you can.

And make sure they have a good beer van / bar at the end of it too.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did the Epic back in 2010. Was the old format starting at Toowoomba and finishing at hidden vale. Was 104km back then but point to point took some of the temptation of bailing out of the picture.
That said, they had a heatwave and it was 36 degrees that day. The water at the feed stations was in a big plastic water tank and sat at about 40 degrees all day. Don't even start me on the wall that was Laidley Gap. Took all of 8 hours but dragged myself over the line.
87km will be like a crit race compared to that :)
Slow and steady...