WTF have I done? A First Race Journey

John U

MTB Precision
Back in the day when I did my first marathon, the first dirt works 100 at St. Albans, I followed the recommended training from the only other100k race at the time, the flight centre epic. The recommended was a really good amount. Set me up for a good finish. If the training is still available you should give it a look. I didn't follow any special diets or anything else. Just a bit of time on the bike.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
It should be fun…

I’ve only done three races, so I know diddly squat. One we did was a five hour solo and it was really good fun. I preferred the solo ride over teams by far… just keep on keeping on… no cooling down and then having to get back into it… just keep chugging away.

My crappy advice is… train steadily, don’t race with your mates, just keep riding, not fast, just steady as she goes, do hills but don’t smash them… but whatever you do, don’t stop. Do longer training rides but at a more measured pace. I would definitely use an electrolyte powder in your water… we used lemon flavoured Endura. Use it during your training rides so your body gets used to it and load up a little on it a few days before the race, but don’t overdo it. Prepare your water with powder before the race. If you have to use their water, I’d have something to add to it to replace your electrolytes. In our solo, I didn’t cramp once in over 80kms and almost six hours on the bike and I’m pretty sure the Endura helped.

Don’t race fast out of the blocks, let faster riders go… no need to tangle with them. Don’t let the red mist take over… remember you are racing yourself, not them.

I’m not sure about your event, but be ready for a pretty trashed trail if you’re at the back… particularly if it is laps. What was once a nice damp bit will be a bog hole by the time you get there.

Anyway, have fun. There is certainly a real sense of achievement at the end of a solo race… particularly when you crack that beer… actually beer number two is even better.

wavike

Likes Dirt
Dif between the 50 and 87 epic. 50k - 3.5hrs +/- riding time. No special training or food needed. 87k 6hr+ need to sort training, chafe, cramps, food. Don't change anything on the bike or kit for a couple of weeks before, but all in good condition.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The last 37km on the epic is just that. I've never done the 87 (5* 50) but have ridden the back 37 and it is a hard slog with fresh legs, let alone after 50km already. Trails are open year round (weather aside) so go out and see what you are in for.
Train. There is no substitute for time on that bike, set up around you.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Okey dokey.

Training rides - once a month do one long one - preferably with others following a route that's out and back - 5 to 6 hr riding time ( loops are too easy to bail, and others depending on you also help to make sure it gets done)

2 1/2 to 3hrs into a ride, is usually when muscle soreness, pain comes in. Surprisingly this gets better as the ride goes on not worse - you just get used to it, and it isn't a game breaker - but I have seen some people unable to push through it.

Training load - you cannot just jump in to big kms big hours - you'll get some sort of injury. I get knee pain, so have to increase my kms by only about 10 or 20% per week max - this means you can't put it off and suddenly train for the last 5 weeks before - start this week.

Shorter 50km version - sorry this is for quitters, you aren't, don't even fucking think about it - you've entered into the 87 - you only stop in the race if your bike is royally fucked, or if you wake up looking at the sky with fellow riders looking down at you.

Minlak

custom titis
Wow.... The response has been amazing and I have been taking it all in and I thank you all for the advice and encouragement. I am one of the fittest fat men around and have a strong knowledge of "training"* and diet I do however lack race day nutrition knowledge. I also know that you can never stop learning and no amount of "Book Learning" replaces actually doing it. My biggest hurdle has always been putting the diet first and am an expert negotiator when it comes to trading off in my mind for that snack or fried food or beer.

Plan so far:-
1st Month
All training done with Xtend* in the water bottle
Monday / Wednesday / Friday (4am) :- 32mins Interval Training on the cross trainer (eliptical).
Monday / Wednesday / Friday (4:32am) :- 15 Mins Low to Moderate Just moving
Monday / Wednesday / Friday (5am) :- 30mins to 45mins Compound weights (bench press / arm curls / fly / lat pull down / dead lift)*
Tuesday / Thursday (4am) :- 90 mins Eliptical trainer around 60% of Max HR
Saturday / Sunday :- Riding 3hr sessions*

*Training:- There is a massive difference between exercise and training the intensity will remain constant so as to constantly improve.
*Squat:- Cant do it I get a sore back and sore knee (Body weight lunges and Squats get done)
*Riding:- The trails here are 45 mins away with work its not practical to ride trails weekdays.

Nutrition:- No Alcohol / No Desserts / No Snacking. Clean eating. All Gym exercise will be done on an empty stomach with fasting from 7pm the night before. I have done this before for extended periods of time quite successfully so know how I will react to this. Riding on the weekends will be done with nutrition.

*Xtend:- I will be replacing the Xtend with something like Hi5 or similar in the 3rd month of training as it is what I intend to ride with on the day. Currently I prefer Xtend / Water and energy / electrolyte chews whilst riding.

Ace in the hole:- I am married to a Physio :)

I very much appreciate any and all advice and don't discount anyone's opinions or experience. Thank you all.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Heh minlak, some plan you got there.

What do you think about specificity in your training plan?

I'm thinking I would want a trainer or spin bike to replicate what I want to do rather than so much upper body work and strength work for an endurance ride.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Don't focus on the food...it will make sure all that good shit you're missing out on is constantly on your mind. Fill he fridge with good stuff and snack on it til your hearts content. Also throw in the occasional no no. Cause you need some fun.

You like brown right yeah?

hathill

Likes Dirt
This is gold.

Shorter 50km version - sorry this is for quitters, you aren't, don't even fucking think about it - you've entered into the 87 - you only stop in the race if your bike is royally fucked, or if you wake up looking at the sky with fellow riders looking down at you.

Minlak

custom titis
Heh minlak, some plan you got there.

What do you think about specificity in your training plan?

I'm thinking I would want a trainer or spin bike to replicate what I want to do rather than so much upper body work and strength work for an endurance ride.
All lifts are compound lifts with higher reps and lower weight done with little rest between sets. I will do bench press then move straight to flys and then a modified arm curl and straight back to the bench press in a rotation sequence. The second day is a similar routine with different exercises but all compound lifting no specific parts. Little if no bulk will come from the weights.

Month 2 I plan on using the spin bike in the mornings and getting an hour ride in the evening on the road bike. I probably wont get a trainer as I want to get a new drive train for the race and also have to fit out myself with camping gear as I currently have none.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I had to look up what an elliptical trainer was. ... Ha!

Need more time on the bike I'd suggest. More rest days also. If I were you I'd be looking for a cheap BIKE trainer and doing two 1 hour interval sessions including warm up/ cool down time per week. Then two actual rides per week. One a minimum 3 hours.

I did the original epic route several times and only did the new route the first year they changed. Whilst 'adding single track' sounds great in theory, it hurts as it is right at the end after some good climbs and it will hurt you.

If you get a chance to pre-ride the OHV trail sections then that'd be a great idea.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Don't focus on the food...it will make sure all that good shit you're missing out on is constantly on your mind. Fill he fridge with good stuff and snack on it til your hearts content. Also throw in the occasional no no. Cause you need some fun.

You like brown rice yeah?

Minlak

custom titis

You like brown rice yeah?
No body likes brown rice... there are two types of people those that hate brown rice and those that lie about hating brown rice. Quinoa is where its at soak it in coconut milk with added golden syrup :)

And to answer your tunes question.... I dont usually use music when riding just my own thoughts.

I did the Epic back in 2010. Was the old format starting at Toowoomba and finishing at hidden vale. Was 104km back then but point to point took some of the temptation of bailing out of the picture.
That said, they had a heatwave and it was 36 degrees that day. The water at the feed stations was in a big plastic water tank and sat at about 40 degrees all day. Don't even start me on the wall that was Laidley Gap. Took all of 8 hours but dragged myself over the line.
87km will be like a crit race compared to that :)
Slow and steady...

Hahaha! Yep, these are my recollections from the old Hiddenvale/FC Epic event too. Raced/covered the first 3 events & the climbs over the GD & through Laidley Gap did a great job of putting you in the box. Aside from the hurt my other memories that remain from that event/course were that of a crack-pot Kiwi doing the full epic on a big wheel scooter & another fellow who'd lost his arm absolutely smoking riders on the climbs- the dude was an inspiration. Of course there are also the memories of the last 20kms of the course being littered with riders on the trail-side cramped out. Was an awesome but pretty tough event- the cold beer at Spicers afterward certainly never tasted better. New course looks much more civilised.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
^^ I did that hot year, was 42 deg at one of the SES stations at the top of a climb - I think the guys was enjoying telling everyone !

Although shorter and more 'fun' track in theory. I found the new course more exhausting than the old one ....

danncam

Likes Dirt
Is 5:2 diet a good idea for a dude that needs to train ?

No way I could train on zilch food for a day.
the 2 in the 5:2 is really a low kilojoule day. I have an espresso, a skinny latte, water, black tea and a few almonds until dinner, and don't get hungry. I have a smallish dinner and no alcohol or sweets on the fast day. A little bit of exercise on teh fast day is actually very benefiical, a hlaf our of sprints on the trainer is fine.

It seems to me that blokes often like the 5:2 way of controlling intake (kilojoules, alcohol) rather than focusing all the time on control

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Just did my first 90km - nearly died. Some cheap simple wins:

- Stuff the cardio - if you can climb a hill you'll be fine. It's all in the leg endurance as cardio recovers.
- Get lots of stretching in after training. In the race, if you feel a ping, stop and stretch it. Don't be like me and cramp half way up a steep climb.
- I disagree with you limiting food. Take as much food and shit you can get into your body. This goes for training rides and the actual day as well. Get your body used to high energy foods on low fuel. Don't be like me and get stuck 150km from feed zone, facing a climb and bonked (and cramped). If you're not cutting weight, then you should probably do more miles. Beer cutting is ok, but coke is your friend.
- Core. I think you left it out, for me if my back gives up so do I. If you're got sore back problems, guess what's going to hurt first? Try some deadlifts, back ups, sit ups and whatever other core you can manage.

Good luck. And remember when you hit the pain threshold, no training will prep you, it's up to the brain at that stage.

^^^^Ok, couple of things

1. Your maths sucks, either that or your sense of direction

2. Giving up beer is not ok

3. Food goes in, shit comes out, that's what eating is all about