!x10 small chainring or large granny cog

Richard Devey

Likes Bikes
hi,
I have this setup for 6 months and I'm struggling still to climb some parts of my local
32T Olyptcal NW up front and 11-36 rear. My question is shall I go to a 30T chainring or get a 40T giant cog for rear??

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
hi,
I have this setup for 6 months and I'm struggling still to climb some parts of my local
32T Olyptcal NW up front and 11-36 rear. My question is shall I go to a 30T chainring or get a 40T giant cog for rear??
Suck it and see? Switching to a 30t chainring is a cheaper and easier conversion than going to a 40t granny, and if you find in the future that you're managing the climbs at your local more easily it's not a big deal to switch back to the 32t. If you still find the climbs are hard, you've got the option of going to a 40t granny with either the 32 or 30t ring.

Or just go straight to the end game, and spend the money on a 1x11 setup with 42t granny and whatever ring suits you.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
What tyre size?

I have a 30t on a 26" bike, it's just okay. I use the 30x11 gear a lot, but don't often wish I had another, on my current trails anyway.

The climbing won't be that big a difference, I can barely notice going from my bike with 32-34 to the other with 30-36. I just pedal harder with out actually thinking about it.

I'd put a bigger cassette on, of those two choices, if it was me.
How often do yo use your 32x11 now?

Last edited:

Richard Devey

Likes Bikes
That's not me
Yep that sounds good to me, I thought after 6 months of riding I would make it up the hills easier each time guess not lol

andrew9

Likes Dirt
I use my 32/11 about 30% of riding
Sounds like you'll miss the 32t then, so maybe the bigger cassette would be better.
Maybe go for a 42t so you have more options in the future, like a 34 or 36 chainwheel. If you already use the 32 that much, you might want more top end later too?

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
could it be you thats the problem ? technique ? (no disrespect intended)

Do you need a better run in at the climb ?? use more body english to get over lumps/bumps and rocks ? ... nothing more satisfying then ticking something off your list ... but 6months of slog seems pretty discouraging.

Pics of the climb ... show us the line ... where are you stalling ? could you lose 10kgs like me :) ... nah go the upgrades :drum:

good luck

grayzeee

Likes Bikes
I have same bike
30t chainring and standard cassette.
works well for my local trails where there is plenty of climbing

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Do you even word bro? :tsk: that's ambivalent, how about looking up the definition of words before you use them.....get one of these

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i dont think going to 30t will make much diff, an oval ring will be more comfortable on tough climbs. the 40t is an expensive option:

id be interested to know the gradient / trk's also..how technical is it, is the shock locked out?

my 2c, i live near mt macedon & climb upto 10% grad easily, even on straight 18% sections i get by, with 34-34 pr 34-32, went to buller on Mon, got savaged by stonefly, its average of 11% with steep turns/rocks to hop killed my legs within about 500m, not taking perfectly smooth lines & the punchy-ness of the trk meant i was exhausted quickly.i just wanted to walk--my strava rank was 264/1800odd but i was f$%^'d for the next 1/2 hr

going to bright this week, have moved the front ring to 32t OVAL -they are much more comfortable climbing for me -they actually feel more round than a round ring

Last edited:

goobags

Likes Dirt
I have a 40t expander I can sell you. I started with a 32 up front and the expander and didn't like it. Took the expander off and went to a 30t up front and it is spot on.

stirk

Burner
I was merely adumbrating.

What's to hate on a giant cog, when set up correctly it just works, my set up shifts up and down the 42T better than any other gear, the shift is immediate, smooth and silent.

Richard, if you go to a smaller ring you lose high range, when pedalling for the 30% ride time in the high gear are you spining fast? If yes I suggest you keep 32 and increase your low range instead with a giant cog range extender.

If you simply down size the chainring sure, you lower the gearing but will lower your highest gear and will spin out quicker.