XC Bikes

meatlovers

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Guys,
I'm looking to get into a bit of XC riding, and need some help on an XC bike.

Now, before you flame me, I looked up to 7 pages back for a "What bike thread" and didn't find one, and the search function isn't working.

I am looking for a Hardtail XC bike. Fire away.

Thanks, Josh.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am looking for a Hardtail XC bike. Fire away.Thanks, Josh.
Well. You've got o' hard tails out there. There are your steel hardtails, carbon fiber hardtails, even aluminium hardtails. Expensive hardtails, cheap hardtails, and medium priced hardtails. Some are for XC racing, some are for XC trails. Some are light, some are heavy. Some have gears and there are some with no gears, some have suspension, some with quite a lot some with little and some with no suspension at all. Some hardtails you will se a lot of others are rare. They come in many different colours.

Yep, a lot of hardtails.

What are you after?

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As Carlin said, there is a lot of choice. The most important two factors are going to be what you want to do with the bike, and how much money you have to spend. Then look at and pre-decided preferences you may have (gears, suspension, brakes...), and with that information we can give you some meaningful advice.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I've always found the Giant range to be the best place to start looking. I've purchased a couple og Giants over the years and the prices are great, the spec lists aren't too shabby and they are a good entry level bike.
Have a look at their Australian website.;)

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep check out the Giant range for starters. Something like the Giant Alias if your budget stretches to $1000, you should be able to pick up the '07 model for $800 easily since the '08s are out. The Talon or trusty XTC would be an even better option.

Norco Nitro would be a good one if they still make it.

Specialized Rockhopper

Depends a lot on your budget and other preferences (sram / shimano).

meatlovers

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry about the stuff I missed.
I'm looking for a bike with gears, suspension, hardtail and preferably hydro brakes.

I know someone who has a Giant XTC (not sure if 1 or 2) and it has a pretty good spec list.
I am going to have a look at the '08 range of Giant's more XC oriented bikes, does anyone know when they are going to be released?
And I am willing to spend more than $1000 on a bike. I have already looked at the rec range, and not interested in any of those.

Well. You've got o' hard tails out there. There are your steel hardtails, carbon fiber hardtails, even aluminium hardtails. Expensive hardtails, cheap hardtails, and medium priced hardtails. Some are for XC racing, some are for XC trails. Some are light, some are heavy. Some have gears and there are some with no gears, some have suspension, some with quite a lot some with little and some with no suspension at all. Some hardtails you will se a lot of others are rare. They come in many different colours.

Yep, a lot of hardtails.

What are you after?
And Carlin, I have no idea what kind of frame I'm looking for. But I hope to do racing on it.

Last edited:

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
i would go for an aluminium frame to get started on(carbons expensive and not as strong and steal is a bit too heavy unless you put really light and therefore expensive parts on them). my first sugestion would be mabey a giant xtc2, a scott scale 40 (i think its similar) or a trek(not sure on th model name).

istepinyards

Likes Bikes
i would go for an aluminium frame to get started on(carbons expensive and not as strong and steal is a bit too heavy unless you put really light and therefore expensive parts on them). my first sugestion would be mabey a giant xtc2, a scott scale 40 (i think its similar) or a trek(not sure on th model name).
What he said, all good bikes but be careful once bitten your dollars will never be in your wallet for long.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have an '07 XTC2 and rate it highly. Although if I had my time again and a few extra $$ I would have bought the XTC1.
The difference between the two is x2 has SRAM x7/x9 running gear, with the x1 having the XT running gear. Think the X1 has better spec'd wheels as well (317's vs 117's).
Probably will change my shifters and rear derailleaur fairly soon over to XT.
But overall the package is AWESOME and great value for the $1500 I spent.

Ant

2008 Giant Talon for me, bought last week from my local bike shop for not much over $1000. Quite a bargain I thought, although the brakes on mine are giving me some grief at the moment.

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Now now, you shouldn't generalise. Not *all* steel frames are heavy. Although you're right, a light steel frame isn't cheap. The more inexpensive ones aren't as heavy as you might think though.

Old Fart

Squid
I have an '07 XTC2 and rate it highly. Although if I had my time again and a few extra $$ I would have bought the XTC1.
The difference between the two is x2 has SRAM x7/x9 running gear, with the x1 having the XT running gear. Think the X1 has better spec'd wheels as well (317's vs 117's).
Probably will change my shifters and rear derailleaur fairly soon over to XT.
But overall the package is AWESOME and great value for the $1500 I spent.

Ant
Hey Ant - do you still post on the AKFF

cheers
Seddo

bazza

look at me
jamis durango 2.0's aren't a bad value for money bike. they are currently at $999 at anaconda stores or im sure at any other shop that deals Jamis bikes

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/07_bikes/durango2.html

areas that i would ensure it has are

octalink or shimano outboard cranks (can't handle the rest at that price range would rather have octalink which i personally have never had a problem with)
deore shifters and running gear, xt and lx rear mechs are great but i would rather have nicer wheels and forks
hydro brakes (preferably dual piston and NOT hayes soles)
decent brand name forks (the slates on the durango do the trick)
brand name rims with eyelets as well

either way you look at the bikes around this price ranges you will be constantly trading off parts, one bike better running gear, the other better forks. decide what you prefer and what bike actually fits you and feels best underneath you. the biggest costs to upgrade are forks and wheels, and they are less disposable. running gear you can always upgrade down the track after you have smashed it up/worn it out. have fun choosing.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
**hijack alert**

Yes, certainly do seddo. what name were you posting under?

EDIT: gotcha polar. great minds think alike.

Ant

Last edited:

meatlovers

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have had a look at the Scott Scale 40, and I am interested in it.
RRP is roughly $2000? And does anyone know any shops around the Sydney area that sell them?

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks like a great bike.

Are the specs really any better than the (for example) Giant XTC range? Yes, has XT rear mech, but the rest is LX. Don't get me wrong, I'd ride it and love it, but there might be better value out there. XTC2 approx $500 saving.

As to Scott resellers, check www.scott24hr.com.au and they may have some links to resellers.

Ant

DaGonz

Eats Squid
I have had a look at the Scott Scale 40, and I am interested in it.
RRP is roughly $2000? And does anyone know any shops around the Sydney area that sell them?
yeah Burwood. Whether they have any in stock I'm not so sure but would gladly get one i'm sure. I personally would have to get a seriously cheap deal to buy another scott... but the alloy hard tails look like they might be ok.

At that price point, the Jamis's also look nice and I wouldn't look past avanti who might do one of their slightly less than top shelf alloy race frames at that point, but havn't checked

Cheers
Gonz

DaGonz

Eats Squid
at the 2 grand the dakota comp aint bad either.

i love mine and haven't had a single issue yet. rides fantastically.
Spec sheet on the web says Carbon rear stays and R7's right? you might get better part specs but that would be a nice frame to start on I would think. TT is maybe a bit short for my liking but that's just me ;)

not that I'm trying to sell you against the scott! which is light and has a nice spec sheet from memory (fox 100rl's?? maybe?)

might come down to bang for buck, who has one on the floor and wants to get rid of it

*shrug*

HTH

Cheers
Gonz