XC & Free ride trail Log Updated: 24/1/07

Frosty2086

Likes Bikes
24/1/07
Have recently had some more time to get down and do some building, currently working on a seasaw/drop combination for a slightly more difficult route in the skills park. Have built the small (1-2ft) drop, and half done the burm leading into the seasaw, thanks to my canadian mate who came out digging yesterday. Turns out even non-riding canadian have trail building in their blood, he is a burm building machine! Also have completed the on ramp to the sea saw, which is looking soooo stiff, very happy with how it came out. The sea saw is next, and will be doing some work on that today hopefully, it will be made with a huge log the is sawn in half, about 2ft wide and around 9ft long...i will put a detailed construction post in here once im done incase anyone is intrested. To finish the rest of this section we are thinking of puting in another nice burn and a dirt rollercoaster....anyways here is the pics of yesterdays work!!

Arran.JPG
A canadian doing what they do best....

Burm man.JPG
More candian burm action!

Drop.JPG
Small drop coming off existing trail..

Ramp Support.JPG
The intial ramp supports, and holes, each about 1ft deep (soil packs really well so going deeper on this occasion was a bit of over kill)

Ramp side on.JPG
The finished product, the seasaw will come of this ramp...

Ramp with me.JPG
And me, the proud builder of my first NS ramp....

3/1/07
Ok, so i thought i had edited this and put the location etc in, but it turns out i didnt which is annoying because now i have to do it again!
So the trail is located in Mandeni Park, its on the web at http://www.mandenigolf.com.au/ which inculded directions, and fees etc. As it stands on your own bike its $2 a day, or $10 for the year!! Any questions just send us a pm and id be happy to help, or go for a ride!! When i get onto work up in the more downhill area i will keep you posted, but have been busy at work etc. over christmas new year!! Anyways happy riding!!

18/12/06
Alright,

recently i have been involved in the construction of some new trails around my area. These trails are on private land but when completed will be open to the genral public for a minimal fee per day (to cover insurance very tentatively around $2...and $10 for the year). So what i though i would do is put up a selection of photos of some of the work we have being doing. The XC loop is now just about complete and i am going to (hopefully) start work on the freeride trail in the new year. So I thought if i could run a log of work it would be awesome to get feedback on stunts, what you like/dislike and just expand my resources to draw from, as this would be my first ever free ride trail. Anyways, here is some higlights from the cross country loop which will be opened very very soon....

XC Loop Higlights

trails 002.jpg
Flowy single track along the creek line.
trails 001.jpg
Near the creek line entry, bridge over fence.
trails 003.jpg
More of the creek line section
trails 004.jpg
Ladder bridge over creek
trails 019.jpg
Another fence crossing
trails 020.jpg
Downhill single track section near quarry
trails 034.jpg
Entry to a log ride
trails 026.jpg
Ladder bridge over log
trails 030.jpg
Another log ride
trails 035.jpg
mmm..single track
trails 005.jpg
Trail master 3000...
trails 021.jpg
Burms....
trails 033.jpg
Log ride down ramp
trails 025.jpg
More single track

Ok, So in response to the questions as to where is it, i will let you know the exact location, and how to get their, and post up a trail map probably on thursday. The owners dont want the location exposed until the whole thing is fully ready to ride, with signage etc. But it is on the south coast of New South Wales, and with a bit of looking at my past posts you may be able to narrow that down further ;) ! The trail i would say is moderately difficult depending on the section, its aimed at all skill levels hence why the log rides etc are their to challenge some people. Its around an 8km loop and has great infrastructure for races. eg. toilets camping areas, hostel, cabins all contained in the property, and has some more technical sections. Their are also plans in to expand the loop to include a really sweet technical section a couple of km's long for races etc....So watch this space for exact locations!!

Freeride/Downhill
Alright so this part of the trail system is going to be aimed at a more gravity feed style of riding. However the largest vertical drop i have access to at the moment is around 60m. This drops over around 600m, and then travels out a creek line to the finish of the trail. However we are currently trying to gain access to the continuation of the hill i am working on which will give us around 100-200 metres of vertical, over a couple of km.

Trail Map.JPG
This is the trail map thus far, the creek line which it runs into will eventually be the route to take riders back to the finish of all the trails, and the up hill ride or shuttle back to the top. Each number sorresponds to a stunt of some description, with the photos being of each stunt location.

Gap 2.jpg
Location #2
This is going to be a step down/gap from the top log to the lower log. Not sure wheter a NS wood ram or dirt ram would be better, probably will go for wooden ramp.

Loc 3.jpg
Location #3
Rock outcrop which will have some small drops (1-2ft) and maybe a rock garden in it.

Location #4
No pics, but is large open area, thinking either a larger double, or a step up to table to with drop at end...im sure theirs a porper name for those stunts, but i dont know it.

Log 5.jpg
Location #5
Large log ride from one log to the next will be ramp onto second log and will be either flatened of, or planked so you can gets lots of speed for the next stunt.

gap 6.jpg
Gap jump over creek, will be around 10+ ft i imagine with dirt kicker, which is already half shaped, hard to see in pic, by nature.

Log ride Into NS.jpg
This log will feed into a small NS section to get over a bunch of jumbled logs, etc.

Ladder Bridge location.jpg
Location #8
Start of the lower large NS section to get over the myriad of creeks and logs and prevent the total degredation of this area.

More NS area.jpg
Looking from location #8 to #9 Down main creek line.

Log ride 9.jpg
Location #9
Large log ride over creek, its around 30+ ft and has a reasonable drop either side of around 7+ft.

View from log 9, down trail.jpg
Location #9
View down trail, towards creek intersection, trail with zigzag along and over creek, with bits and pieces, like drops and seasawa thrown in where neccersary.

View from log 9 up trail.jpg
Location #9
View up trail, where you will come from, trail will wind down creek line.

The rest of the trail is un mapped an un-photgraphed, but it will make its way through a very shady, almost tropical crrek line, using features along the way for around anothe 500m to 1km....

Ok then, thats just about wraps up the log for the last couple of weeks, hoefully construction will start in the new year of the downhill/freeride area, with fingers crossed we can gain access to the rest of the hill behind the property to give us a larger trail. All feedback is very very much appreciated, i know i havent really done any building yet, but ideas etc are always welcome. PM if you want to help out/go for a ride......

cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
Where abouts is this happening.

Looks good though. Do you have anymore info on the trails?? Length of loop, difficulty etc.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think it looks great.

In regards to a Freeride trail, Personally I like them nice and flowy with big yet silky smooth booters and some fluid drops. Keeping it as natural as possible of course :)

Also, in the motorbike photo, is that a takeoff in the background or just a mound??

Minical2233

Banned
You have the best place to build, so many options and different opsticals to use, those log rides are awsome, have some sweet NS sections and made single track runs, should be a sick place to ride and have fun, good luck with buildin it and hope it turns out sick !! :D :D

Cheers :) :D

Frosty2086

Likes Bikes
Just thought i would put in a post to say the location is added, after a stuff up with editing!! Anyways bring a bike and comne ride!! Cheers

giantalias

Likes Bikes
Went and rode the trails last week and their great. The skills park has something for any ability and is great fun. The resort where the trails are is the best compliment to the great trails and if you ever get sick of riding there is always the awesome golf courses.

user name

Likes Dirt
if that spot had more potential, it would be called Misty and would work the streets in a couple of years...:eek:

125hardtail

Likes Bikes
Nice. I'llbe down to check that out for sure. Is there road access for shuttles?

edit: just re read and it was already mentioned

slaw

Likes Bikes
Rode the XC track on Monday with a short play in the skills area. Great fun. The track doesn't look like it has had a lot of use yet, so not so well defined in a few sections, but I didn't get lost.

goatman

Likes Dirt
Hey Frosty, i am headind down for a week next January - staying at the resort - and am wondering what is the status of the freeride park at the moment?

If it is ready, has anyone ridden it that could give me an idea of what to expect and what sort of gear I need to take - ie big travel bike, armour, etc.

This is a great concept by the way - a place you can take your family with heaps of stuff for the kids and some riding for dad!!

Del Rio resort sounds interesting as well - I reckon this sort of thing is a real positive for the sport.

Ron

Likes Dirt
I live down in the area and the skills park has been build. It isn't that great, but it can be some fun for beginers. Do-able witha hardtail.