xc racing at awaba this weekend

nayto

Likes Bikes
hi all, just after some info on the xc racing at awaba this weekend. Iv never done a specific xc race and was wondering if anyone who has could give me some info on them like distance (i have no idea how far the races usually go for 20-30km??) how the classes are defined, rough times etc. thanks

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
hi all, just after some info on the xc racing at awaba this weekend. Iv never done a specific xc race and was wondering if anyone who has could give me some info on them like distance (i have no idea how far the races usually go for 20-30km??) how the classes are defined, rough times etc. thanks
Usually there is A,B,C,D grades and the kiddies.

D grade is about 12-16k's and takes approx an hour. Then it increases by about 6 k's per class after that.

I would be surprised if we race at Awaba next weekend. With the weather forecast looking pretty unfavorable, it may well be called off.

check the results from the last round to get and idea of overall race times........ http://www.hmba.asn.au/files/Results/2009/XC RACE 1 Results.pdf

bear in mind the track will be different so lap times will vary but overall race time should be about the same.

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just turn up, pick a grade that has a distance you want to ride, and ride. Don't treat it as a race and just enjoy it.

Apparently the weather should be clearing mid week, so I would say it will still be on, plus I reckon even if it's wet the trail builders would like to know how it handles a wet race, it would be handy to know for the future as you don't cancel state or national rounds or an enduro for rain. I would say Awaba will be holding a few in the years to come so will be good to see.

nayto

Likes Bikes
thanks heaps for the reply:) that explains a lot to me. I can only hope that the round will still be on then.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
The Awaba trails hold up to rain pretty well. The road in is different.

I think if it is wet, we will just host the race on Mt Faulk road so no one has to leave the bitumen.

I'll keep everyone updated, but it is supposed to clear wednesday, and be 30 degrees by sunday so we should be fine.

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
The Awaba trails hold up to rain pretty well. The road in is different.

I think if it is wet, we will just host the race on Mt Faulk road so no one has to leave the bitumen.

I'll keep everyone updated, but it is supposed to clear wednesday, and be 30 degrees by sunday so we should be fine.
That was what I was thinking too. 60 cars in the rain would turn it into a bit of a goat track.. At least it would sort out the pack before they hit the single trail!