XC racing - what gear?

tubes are old school. why bother? the 90's are over.
bring on stans. or even a heavy tubeless tyre. (they are so reliable)
why take spares? anything to go faster, carrying things sucks. thats what commuting is for.
why carry a whole lot of stuff your not going to need? its a circuit race your never far from the start/finish. its not a 100km race (point to Point)
if you some how get a flat then the race is over anyway.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
tubes are old school. why bother? the 90's are over.

I Know I'm going to race out and spend heaps on new ust rims and tyres just to save carrying a tube and a CO2, 2 mins is not a great deal of time over a 2 hr race and saves you a dnf
Actually it's about $50 and usually use your pre-existing tyres/wheels. Return on investment over $10/tube and time spent fixing flats....

Cheers
Gonz - I can feel a mastercard ad coming on.

fletchog

Likes Dirt
Da Gonz, how well do the kits work on v brake style rims?

Is it as simple as new rim tapes and some latex in the tyres?

When I can afford a new bike I will go tubeless as it makes heaps of sense

casper99

Likes Dirt
the kits are $150 for the whole deal and they can be put on any rim, iv only ever had one prob and that was with some shitty michilin tyre having a giant rip (after i ran over a sharp rock at speed) in it and go going every where. there also simple to put on. (even with sunrims)

vansman

Squid
I dunno, two DNFs cause of a burping ghetto setup (that only burped during races mind you!) has sent me back to tubes till I'm up for a new wheelset and a legit setup

Winno

Likes Dirt
Just going through all this myself as I've started racing this year.
I normally carry a minimal Camelbak with 1-2L fluid, spare tube, CO2 and multi tool.

I haven't flatted or had a mechanical in many years of mtb'ing so thought I'd go ghetto tubeless (just in case) and ditch the cartridges and tube.
No burps yet when out on training rides.
I also get very hot on rides and I'm sure that even my small CB isn't helping when I'm wearing it. On really short rides, not having a pack on feels much "freer".

So, I and grabbed a bottle and cage for a try this weekend.
Will still carry my small multitool and shotz but that's what back pockets are for.

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
It all depends on the type of race you are racing.
how muchj water you carry is also very indiviual.

I do the 24 hr team events. If I'm out for about an hr. I don't take any water. any more than (1 hr 15 estimate) I have to take water.
If you are racing in 40 deg heat. I would take water with me. regardless of how long I expect to be

i don't like taking the camelback either & avoid taking it If I can. I do occasionally when riding at night.

I take 3 CO2 canisters It takes almost 2 canisters to inflate my 26" 2.25 tyre 1 incase I stuff it up or if I get 2 punctures.
2 tubes
chain breaker
spare link
allen key/ multitool

as far as food & nutrition goes.....its such a personal thing. Big dinner the night before. Light breakfast on the day.

If riding in a 24 hr team event I try to eat according to when my laps are most likeley. eg 2-3 hrs before for something solid.

If your riding a 50-100 km race.....during a hot day. I take the backpack for fluid. I haven't done that many, or for instance the Willow where you do 3 laps for a 75km you can leave your drink bottle near the car park & just stop.

I usually service my bike 2 weeks before any race. so if I haven't tightened something enough the theory is that it comes apart before the race.

I don't take any spare parts apart from a chain link. There is no point. if you do suffer a mechanical there is so many variable you can't cover them all.

In all my races Ive only had 1 mechanical at the recent Huskey 50. Derailed got mangled with a stick. Game over DNF. That sort of thing can happen top anyone.

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
3 co2, 2 tubes but no water ?? Must be a cool climate with nasty rocks ...
you don't agree? It is perhaps exessive. But when it comes to punktures I'd rather be safe than sorry. I must admit when racing, Ive only ever suffered 1 burp on Mt Stromlo, where I only had 2 canisters with me.
The delmour I had, do I put a tube in? or just get home, as i wasn't sure if it was a puncture or not at the time. I empteid 1 canister but somehow mucked it up. I put the 2nd one in as well & got home. Lucky for me it was towards the end of the lap.

Its not a case of taking water or extra tubes. Each lap/race is taken on its merrits. Scott 24 or The Mont are in October or March. Weather conditions for those months in Canberra are not too hot, generally. Like I said. Laps are around 1 hr each give or take a little. I prefer not taking water on as it fucks up my breathing rythem. Its just a pain loosing the rythem while drinking & riding. I can do 1 hr without water in normal circumstance. Although I keep very hydrated thoughout the rest of the race while resting.
If conditions are hot I do take water. It really just depends on the day & how long I expect to be out. It's also an individual thing. First few years I did take water. I just don't need it if the lap/race is about 1 hr in duration. Any more than that. I do need water.
and its not a case of I will take water if its 1 hr 5min. Its a judgment call usually, for example: OK time for 2 laps. which will take more like 2 hrs. Its just an estimate. Everyobes body is different. Only you can make that judment for yourself.

Nor am I suggesting that anyone should be able to do without water for 1 hr if they are racing.

Last edited:

Klips

Likes Dirt
My 2c:
- If you're on a hardtail or can mount two cages, 2x half full bottles. My last club race (also B grade, but in Canberra so not super competitive) my bottle rattled out on the first rock garden and I spent the next 20 something kms really, really thirsty because I didn't have anything available. Half full bottles help because a) you have a spare and b) less mass in each to rattle them out
- lightweight tube and co2 taped under the seat, preferably in a matched colour to your frame or wheels so you look 'pro' (because that's super important, right?)
- bare essentials tool that covers all/almost all of the bolts on your bike. If you need a chain breaker you're probably so fucked that a chain tool won't save your race
- (here's the roadie in me) a gel for the start line and a gel for each half hour of racing. If each lap is about half an hour, perfect - just jam one in during transition each lap. Pick up a box from the online retailer of your choice for about $1.50 a gel and you've added $6 to your $20 (or more) of race entry to prevent running out of energy

In terms of the day before, it's a long one then the AIS carb load program seriously cannot be beat: http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/factsheets/competition_and_training/carbohydrate_loading
I have used this a number of times including road and MTB races and it has never failed me. Yes it's a hell of a lot of food, but the additional cost isn't much if you already have breakfast cereal, pasta and bread.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I'm awaiting delivery of a Backcountry Research Awesome Strap....
Google it!
But don't read the ridiculous MTBR thread...

I'll post up a review when I've given it a go but plan to use it to hold my tube, lever and multitool in conjunction with a seat tube mount for 2x CO2 canisters with inflation head.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Even better Klips, tape the tear off tab of your gel to your bottle so you only grab one item at transition.

Also solves the problem of what to do with that small piece of foil.

If you practice you can reach down and grab it, whilst tearing it open without breaking your cadence.

Klips

Likes Dirt
I like that idea! Unlike the strap, which looks like $13 for something that could be done with a thick rubber band or two...

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I'm awaiting delivery of a Backcountry Research Awesome Strap....
Google it!
But don't read the ridiculous MTBR thread...

I'll post up a review when I've given it a go but plan to use it to hold my tube, lever and multitool in conjunction with a seat tube mount for 2x CO2 canisters with inflation head.
Aww man, it's ages since I read some of that thread, it must be hitting over a pages by now.

Who would have thought all those left over toe straps from the eighties would find themselves re-assigned through breakthrough research - surely they are related to the Ponds Institute in some way