XC saddle - racing the focus

ukalipt

Likes Dirt
i am looking for some advice on a new saddle
the saddle is going on a XC hard tail racing bike.
racing will mainly focys local club rounds which are
about 1.5hrs + a couple of 100km races throughout the year.

priorities in the respective order

1. weight - would really love it to be on the under side of 200g
i am trying to focus on getting the entire bike under 10 by the end
of the year
2. durability - it is a MTB
3. comfort - padded knicks can help there if really necessary
4. colour - sounds fickle but i would rather white, but black will do
5. cost - up to $130ish max

some suggestions would be great. i have read acouple of times the
SLR XP's have rail breaking issues

Raw Toast Man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a WTB Devo on my XTC 2 which I race for around 2 years and found it really nice. Didnt get a sore bum, some people dont like them, but I liked it...

Ive got a Fizik Gobi on my new bike and dont mind that either.

ukalipt

Likes Dirt
yeah the tioga was on a short list but i don't know...
i think you would look like a bit of a tosser... don't you think?

Last edited:

milux

Likes Dirt
This is my next saddle, it fits your requirements as well. $95 + 25$postage from CRC.
The speal.
The TI-Fly C relies on the same base as the TI-Fly, but uses additional padding for superior comfort. With only a slight weight gain from the TI-Fly, this saddle is a winner for long days in the saddle. Even with the minimalist approach taken in creating this saddle, the shape and engineered flex lends itself to be surprisingly comfortable. (260mm x 127mm)

Features:
• Light Weight EVA foam.
• Titanium rails.
• Comfort cleavage.
• Weight: 185g

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't go the Tioga for MTB, on a seatpost like a Thomson with the two bolts poking out, you'll bottom it out and end up being stabbed in the perineum - not nice. The Tioga is comfy for road (I have owned two) but it bottoms out which is why I no longer use them.

Specialized rival saddles are great for all day comfort and low weight. Not under 200g but close enough.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt

specialized phenom?
195g
super comfy
price will probably hurt - $200 locally, though i got mine from the states for <150 delivered...

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Sette Nyx

The Blurb
Uncomfortable lightweight saddles are a thing of the past with the introduction of the Sette Nyx Saddle. A rear relief groove and comfort center section insures an easy pressure free ride. CrN/Ti rails are used to save weight and reduce cost. Black leather cover with silver embossed accents. 190g

CrN/Ti Rails - Designed from a custom combination of alloys and titanium to produce a similar weight to titanium but with and added cost savings.

Comfort Section - Near the center of the shell a fine tuned cutout has been placed to allow expansion of the Super Light foam to help reduce pressure.

The Details
• Material: Leather
• Rails: CrN/Ti
• Weight: 190g
• Width: 134mm
• Lengh: 265mm Color:
• Black

I have the older RACE Ti ... which is pretty much the same except the wings are slightly more downward sloping (not sure if that was developed over the 8-12months I have been riding on it.

I've ridden on mine in just boardies ... initially was a little painful ... but now either my butt has shaped to it or it has shaped to my butt (maybe this is where the downward sloping wings has developed from :cool:)

Now the Pièce de résistance ... I paid like $US40 for it posted. ... thats prolly $280 now given the Australiasian Peso we have but *pffft.

note = more like $A58 +/-

ebay or pricepoint.com

Attachments

Last edited:

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
SLR's on all 3 of my bikes.
135g claimed weight but closer to 150g.
No issues with broken rails and I weigh 85kg.
The Tioga Spider supposedly needs replacing every year and I have read reports that the webbing splits and breaks under even the lightest riders.

You will need to try them as everyone's bum is different.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
SLR's on all 3 of my bikes.
135g claimed weight but closer to 150g.
No issues with broken rails and I weigh 85kg.
The Tioga Spider supposedly needs replacing every year and I have read reports that the webbing splits and breaks under even the lightest riders.

You will need to try them as everyone's bum is different.
SLR on my roadie makes my bum-bum go to sleep after about an hour :( but yeah, i'm 100kg. otherwise, it's quite comfy...

workmx

Banned
Plus one on the WTB Devo Ti

I have WTB Devo Ti saddles on all my bikes.
Pluses:
- 203g
- Lots of padding
- WTB's love Channel
- cheap (I got mine for $50 each)
Minuses:
- they take a couple of rides to break in
- no crash protection

Last edited:

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm using an SLR XP and have no problems with it whatsoever. In fact, I love it.

Never heard about the rails breaking either. :confused:

bikerboy85

Likes Dirt
ive got a tundra on my anthem x ltd, its alright, the only thing that worries me is it has carbon rails! dont know what they where thinking

lincolnsydney

Likes Dirt
I'm running the Gobi, but run Selle SMP on all of the roadies... the Gobi is quite a nice saddle... was running a Flite before that, but found them too 'round' in the middle.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 to WTB Devo - have 2 of them, one on the XTC and one on the Rocky (Devo Carbon). Weight on the carbon is 180-ish.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
Selle Italia SLR XC Gel Flow - comes factory spec on a few MTBs. Light, and much more comfortable than it looks. Dunno how cheap you'll find it currently, tho.. they could be had for $130, but that was a year ago.