XC Tyres

Race king.

Tyre:Continental Race King Protection
Strength: Fast rolling , Grippy , Light
Weakness: FAAAST wearing, KNobs being ripped off.
Weight:580 in 2.0
Bottom line: Did not last long. However this is to be expected with all light soft compound xc race tires. The biggest issue was the knobs being ripped off.These are light fast and have good grip ( considering).

Tyre:Continental Race King Wire Bead
Strength: Cheap (Payed 21 from crc) , Fast rolling , Corners Pretty well (in dry)
Weakness: Side walls ruined after 100km. Had to throw them out due to cuts.
Weight: 530g (2.0) or 480g (2.2)
Bottom line:Cheap alternative to the more expensive versoins. I may have been unlucky with the sidewall who knows?

Tyre:Continental Race King Supersonic
Weakness: None so far. Have outlasted both other race kings. ( However it was run up front )
Weight:liiight......530ish?
Bottom line: Still going strong after a few races, a 24hr and training. Good tyre they are verry light i have not had any problems with wash outs and the like. :)

I was considering Buying the UST Version However now considering the Racing Ralphs in UST after looking at the data sheet.

slow train

Cannon Fodder
Tyre: Racing Ralph (as a front)
Strength: Fast rolling , Hooks up well in loose corners, better than the Larsen
Weakness: none so far...very very impressed
Bottom line:Fantastic

Tyre: Larsen TT (as a rear)
Strength: Fast rolling , Climbs well, great wearing (800km and still going)
Weakness: not to good on the loose stuff as a front
Bottom line: Great rear if run in reverse

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Tyre: Racing Ralph (as a front)
Strength: Fast rolling , Hooks up well in loose corners, better than the Larsen
Weakness: none so far...very very impressed
Bottom line:Fantastic
Were you running the 2.1 or 2.25?

I have been using 2.1's on my HT for about 700km and they have been fantastic so far although the rear is looking a bit tatty now.

I am thinking of putting a 2.25 up front to see how it performs.

slow train

Cannon Fodder
Were you running the 2.1 or 2.25?

I have been using 2.1's on my HT for about 700km and they have been fantastic so far although the rear is looking a bit tatty now.

I am thinking of putting a 2.25 up front to see how it performs.
RR is a 2.1 - just back from a blast round out local track - 8.5km that includes sand chutes, off camber grass and sand, clay berms and the likes...usually club racing averages around 22-26min a lap...best combo I found so for for this type of thing...heaps of grip from the Larsen up the short sharp climps and the RR holds on well round the off camber loose stuff at speed...if only my fitness was as easy to come by :eek:

RCOH

Eats Squid
I just got 2 Maxxis CrossMark 2.1 wire bead tyres, reviewed below, for $15 each at Cell bikes on parramatta Rd, Stanmore, NSW. Excellent.

Tyre: Maxxis Crossmark 2.10"
Strengths: Low rolling resistance, Corners well
Weakness: Isn't so great on gravel, tends to flick stones up at the bike
Weight:570g
Bottom Line: Great tyre so far, only time will tell how well it lasts as a front tyre. But no complaints as yet

drasnian

Likes Dirt
Tyre:Continental Race King Protection
Weakness: FAAAST wearing, KNobs being ripped off.
Weight:580 in 2.0
Bottom line: Did not last long. However this is to be expected with all light soft compound xc race tires. The biggest issue was the knobs being ripped off.These are light fast and have good grip ( considering).

Tyre:Continental Race King Wire Bead
Strength: Cheap (Payed 21 from crc) , Fast rolling , Corners Pretty well (in dry)
Weakness: Side walls ruined after 100km. Had to throw them out due to cuts.
Weight: 530g (2.0) or 480g (2.2)
Bottom line:Cheap alternative to the more expensive versoins. I may have been unlucky with the sidewall who knows?

Tyre:Continental Race King Supersonic
Weakness: None so far. Have outlasted both other race kings. ( However it was run up front )
Weight:liiight......530ish?
Bottom line: Still going strong after a few races, a 24hr and training. Good tyre they are verry light i have not had any problems with wash outs and the like. :)

According to Conti website, the Race King Supersonic 2.2" weighs 480g. The UCI version of the same weighs 460g. The 2.0" is (obviously) lighter still.

I put a 2.2" supersonic on the rear for the Ourimbah Fat Tyre Festival (and moved my 2.1" Racing Ralph to the front). Compared to the RR, the supersonic gives much better traction on the rear. I must say the Conti tracked better on the front also. It just fits inside the rear triangle of my Large '07 Anthem frame, although the wear marks on the frame suggest the wheel/tyre moved around a little on the trail. It fits between the forks no problem for front duties. Might have to resort to a 2.0" for the rear in future -- if only the Race King came in a 2.1"!

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
personally after having used most of what is out there I am sold on the schwalbe line of tyres.

in particular the nobby nic, racing ralph and waiting to get my hands on the rocket ron.

for most riding the nobby nic front with racing ralph rear is the combo I like, just waiting to put the rocket ron on front. Feedback from mates on this combo is most positive.

go for the 2.25 ust in each tyre and don't be scared to reduce your pressures. off road they will scream fast, you will only feel a bit of the boggy feeling if you head skyward on bitumen.

good luck.

love these tyres, most confidence inspiring :D

mars mtb.

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Might have to resort to a 2.0" for the rear in future -- if only the Race King came in a 2.1"!
I wouldn't advise that - have used the 2.0 RK (F&R) and they are much poorer than the 2.2 size. I did a lot of reading after that little experiment and seems that is the common consensus. I then put a 2.2 RK on the front (and after getting it the right way round) and it gives much better traction and control than the 2.0 RK.

Maybe OK for the rear but I did not like them in that size at all.

drasnian

Likes Dirt
I wouldn't advise that - have used the 2.0 RK (F&R) and they are much poorer than the 2.2 size. I did a lot of reading after that little experiment and seems that is the common consensus. I then put a 2.2 RK on the front (and after getting it the right way round) and it gives much better traction and control than the 2.0 RK.

Maybe OK for the rear but I did not like them in that size at all.

Darn it! Oh well...thanks for that. That's probably saved me some disappointment.

I might put the 2.2" RK on my brand new 2nd hand Olympic rear and see if it clears the furniture a little better than it does on my current 317 rear. If not, maybe i'll have to cop the 60-odd gram weight penalty and give a 2.25 RR a go (I take it the 2.25 RR is almost as skinny as its 2.1 little brother?)

axertes

Likes Dirt
I have nothing to contribute here, but have the mods considered stickying this thread? I'm sure I'm not the only one who keeps coming back to it as a kind of reference.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Guys,

Has anyone been using the Maxxis Aspen? As a front tyre?

I'm up for new tyres, like the look of the racing ralph but not the price tag, so am looking for something else. The Aspen looks pretty good, but there's limited feedback around it.

Cheers,

Coaster

aspen

Yea i have a mate who is running the Aspen on the rear of a blur LT... 3 rides in and he hates it say's it is way to skitish... which might be fun on the rear but don't like your chances of enjoying it on the front

dandegroot

Cannon Fodder
2.1 Aspen

I am using the 2.1 Aspen exception on the front at the moment, and i like it. It is great for hardpack (side knobs dont fold like the crossmark) and shallow loose stuff.

The volume is much wider and taller than a "2.1" racing ralph, although the profile is rounder so it doesnt have the same authority in loose stuff. Measures 52mm wide at 40psi on an XC717 rim, vs 49.5mm for RR. Very fast rolling in the exception casing, feels faster than a 2.1 RR, maybe due to larger rolling diameter.

It's essentially a race tire, and is deffinitely not skittish at 30psi. Probably look elsewhere for a true do-all trail tire (maybe try the 2.25?). Havent had any wet weather to try it in, although looks like it will clear mud ok with the open design. I may not every buy a different summer tire again...

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am using the 2.1 Aspen exception on the front at the moment, and i like it. It is great for hardpack (side knobs dont fold like the crossmark) and shallow loose stuff.

The volume is much wider and taller than a "2.1" racing ralph, although the profile is rounder so it doesnt have the same authority in loose stuff. Measures 52mm wide at 40psi on an XC717 rim, vs 49.5mm for RR. Very fast rolling in the exception casing, feels faster than a 2.1 RR, maybe due to larger rolling diameter.

It's essentially a race tire, and is deffinitely not skittish at 30psi. Probably look elsewhere for a true do-all trail tire (maybe try the 2.25?). Havent had any wet weather to try it in, although looks like it will clear mud ok with the open design. I may not every buy a different summer tire again...
Great post. Hummm, to Aspen or Monorail, that is the question. The monrail seems to have a bit more in the centre than the Aspen, so might give it a crack. On the other hand I might just stand in the LBS and toss a coin as I wouldn't mind trying the Aspen. Ah the choices!

drew.d

Likes Bikes
Monorails v Aspen

I've got a monorail on the back, and it runs very nicely on all sorts of terrain. I even ran it backwards at the Angry Doctor, and it was very grippy. Would like to try an Aspen at some point in the future when budget allows.

Just about to try a Larsen on the front, which feels a bit small in 2.0 but we'll see...

tyred

Squid
Just about to try a Larsen on the front, which feels a bit small in 2.0 but we'll see...
Interesting how you go with this - anyone else use larsens on the front? I've recently switched to larsen front and back, seems ok so far (after a few days). I think I'll go Ignitor on front and Larsen on rear - or a maxxis dy-no-mite on the front - do they still make the dy-no-mite?