XC Tyres

2010 104km Epic

Been lurking for a while... now I need some feedback/help its time to post!

So i've been in training for the 104km Epic in August and have been riding an overhauled GT Avalanche 1.0 with Nevegals 2.1's front and back. I am considering switching to a lighter tyre due to distance and have been looking at the Crossmark/Larrsen (sp?) combo and am just wondering how they would hold up over 100kms?

Only ever having ridden the Nevegals, which I kinda learnt are not too suited to Australian conditions I'm not sure what to expect of a different tyre but having flicked through here plus some calls to friends and shops the Crossmark seems to get a pretty good wrap.

What I'm not sure about is which way to put them one - crossmark front larrsen back or vice versa?

Any assistance/guidance is greatly appreciated!

Gone Riding

Likes Dirt
Endless Options...

So i've been in training for the 104km Epic in August and have been riding an overhauled GT Avalanche 1.0 with Nevegals 2.1's front and back. I am considering switching to a lighter tyre due to distance and have been looking at the Crossmark/Larrsen (sp?) combo and am just wondering how they would hold up over 100kms?

Only ever having ridden the Nevegals, which I kinda learnt are not too suited to Australian conditions I'm not sure what to expect of a different tyre but having flicked through here plus some calls to friends and shops the Crossmark seems to get a pretty good wrap.

What I'm not sure about is which way to put them one - crossmark front larrsen back or vice versa?

Hey Sunsoar, the options are endless for tyre choice but assuming you've made the choice for Crossmark and Larsen, personally I would always run a Crossmark on rear only, which leaves the Larsen for the front. Before I really got into tyres I ran Larsen TT's front and rear for almost 2 years and found they were a pretty good all round tyre and reasonably fast - only downfall was in mud!

If you have the option, run them tubeless with Stan's - I've been running tubless for 18 months now and not 1 flat!

throwback

Likes Bikes
Hey Sunsoar, the options are endless for tyre choice but assuming you've made the choice for Crossmark and Larsen, personally I would always run a Crossmark on rear only, which leaves the Larsen for the front. Before I really got into tyres I ran Larsen TT's front and rear for almost 2 years and found they were a pretty good all round tyre and reasonably fast - only downfall was in mud!

If you have the option, run them tubeless with Stan's - I've been running tubless for 18 months now and not 1 flat!
I would definitely agree with that. I like a Crossmark on the rear but go for something a bit chunkier on the front, specially in winter with a chance of mud. Haven't used the Larsen but can recommend either Nobby Nic or Ignitor on the front. Stans tubeless is great and you can get away with normal tyres as long as it's not rocky. If it's rocky go for proper tubeless tyres the sidewalls are tougher. Again, not sure about Larson but the others are all available in normal or tubeless versions.

kv1973

Likes Dirt

You have essentially, in my opinion, chosen two tyres which I would run on the rear. The crossmark is a great allround tyre for front or rear. The larsen is really only used on the rear because of a lack of side knobs. Its great in the dry hard stuff but not on lose dirt. Crossmark on the rear is a good choice. Front I would pick something else like Ignitors, Nobby Nic, Racing Ralph, Rocket Rons and Mountain Kings just to name a few. Again the choice is virtually endless.

Neon

Likes Dirt
any thoughts on the 8 block up front for a stromlo type terrain?
or would it be better at the back?

chippamania

Likes Dirt
You have essentially, in my opinion, chosen two tyres which I would run on the rear. The crossmark is a great allround tyre for front or rear. The larsen is really only used on the rear because of a lack of side knobs. Its great in the dry hard stuff but not on lose dirt. Crossmark on the rear is a good choice. Front I would pick something else like Ignitors, Nobby Nic, Racing Ralph, Rocket Rons and Mountain Kings just to name a few. Again the choice is virtually endless.
I'm a fan of Maxxis in general. I've run Larsen (rear) and Crossmark (front) for races like the Epic - where I've been happy to sacrifice some knobs for some reduced rolling resistance. But for the majority of the time I run Ignitor (front) and Crossmark (rear). This is for the smattering of Brissie tracks (Gap Ck / Bunya / Daisy). I've been looking at new choices, but its hard to find anything that matches the Maxxis combos for all-round riding and value for $$$.

Newton

Likes Dirt
But for the majority of the time I run Ignitor (front) and Crossmark (rear). This is for the smattering of Brissie tracks (Gap Ck / Bunya / Daisy). I've been looking at new choices, but its hard to find anything that matches the Maxxis combos for all-round riding and value for $$$.
+1 for the Ignitor front and either crossmark rear or larsen rear. In wet conditions I run ignitor front & rear. Agree Maxxis are great value - I get them rather cheaply here ... http://www.velogear.com.au/index.php?p=catalog&mode=catalog&parent=77&CatalogSetSortBy=price&CatalogSetView=Thumb3

deafwish

Likes Bikes
I recently bought a 2011 Reign 2 and find the 2.35" Kenda Nevegal (foldable DTC) an absolute epic mission to even ride on flat ground.
Is there a reasonably priced agressive XC tyre that has a much lower rolling resistance?
Could I get away with a Larsen TT/ Crossmark combo - or am I asking for trouble on this sort of bike?

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You could try Maxxis Ardents. I'm running the 2.25 Ardent on the front with a Kenda SB8 on the back and it's a nice combination. The SB8 grips better than I expected as long as it's not wet, at all.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You could try Maxxis Ardents. I'm running the 2.25 Ardent on the front with a Kenda SB8 on the back and it's a nice combination. The SB8 grips better than I expected as long as it's not wet, at all.
They looked like they rolled ok when i was chasing you at Nowra.

Even on a singlespeed. ;)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a Rendez on the front and Crossmark on the rear of the singlespeed. Recently changed from the 2.2" Mountain Kings that I never liked.

deafwish

Likes Bikes
Just returned from a bit of an impulse buy...:eek:
Went & bought a Maxxis High Roller 2.35 for the front & a Crossmark 2.25 for the rear.
They were advertised new, here in the classifieds section!
I know the High Roller isn't the most efficient tyre but am I right in assuming that the rear is the most crucial factor for rolling resistance/ efficiency?
They were cheap so if they're grossly unsuitable - not a big loss.

Daz.

AndySTi

Likes Dirt

I'm not really answering your question, but I've been on Nevegal for a while and if you do move to the crossmark/larsen combo, it will be much lighter as you have stated and also rolling resistance will be greatly improved. The Nevegal rolls too slow for something like XC and has a great tendency to wash out (if you have the DTC compound). The Nevegal is more of an AM tyre. I wouldn't go as far to say the tyre is not suited for Australian conditions, a Nevegal in Stick-E compound goes pretty damn hard with a tread pattern modification.

FLOYD1

Likes Dirt
muddy conditions

I run maxxis ignitors and they seem to work for me but at times the front seems to push a little and i get understear out of the corners. But for muddy/sandy condition the only tire I go with is a WTB velociraptor. huge nobbys and awsome grip. bad rolling resistance on road but MTB bike are for the mountain

Cheers

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
Just returned from a bit of an impulse buy...:eek:
Went & bought a Maxxis High Roller 2.35 for the front & a Crossmark 2.25 for the rear.
They were advertised new, here in the classifieds section!
I know the High Roller isn't the most efficient tyre but am I right in assuming that the rear is the most crucial factor for rolling resistance/ efficiency?
They were cheap so if they're grossly unsuitable - not a big loss.
Daz my AM bike has a Crossmark 2.25 on the rear and a High Roller 2.5 on the front. I thought the High Roller 2.5 would be a killer, never had a tire that large on the front, but it turns out I really like it for AM style riding. Probably going to be hard now to go back to something narrower if I ever do.

deafwish

Likes Bikes
Thanks digitalhippie - just what I was wanting to hear!
How do you find the High Roller on hard pack? Relatively efficient?
I've heard the transition from the centre nobs to the side can be a little confidence bruising?:confused:

<edit> Hey AndySTI - A fellow STI driver here, too!

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
fwiw Daz I haven't yet thought 'sh*t this tire is killing me' which has been surprising, as the High Roller 2.5 ain't no light weight and I thought it would feel tough to push it around on longer rides, up climbs etc. Trail conditions in Central Vic vary so much, a bit of everything, even more so over the last couple of months with all the rain then dry, have enjoyed the high roller no matter what. A big tire just seems to add to the enjoyment of fun downhill sections.

I read about the transition from centre to side knobs too beforehand and wondered how that would go. Dunno, haven't had a drama yet touchwood, it's felt good in all types of corners, terrain. Related I guess, the tire cranked right over feels bizarre and great, can hear the outer edge of the side knobs clawing away... like I dunno how the tire is hanging on but I'm glad it is!

Another cool thing is it seems quite durable - the endless sharp rocks etc in Central Vic don't seem to bother it.

All that said, it's obviously not the tire of choice for XC racing, enduros etc where you want something lighter with more emphasis on rolling efficiently but for general goofing around which is all I do, so far it's been great. But you know, I could whack on a set of much lighter XC style tires and go wow, now I see what the High Roller was like... ha!

so many choices of MTB tires - treads, compounds, widths, casing etc - fries my brain really. Much more fun to get out riding where the reviews etc don't matter anymore, you just ride with whatever you've got and have fun regardless.

drasnian

Likes Dirt
Yeah that's right, rolling resistance is fairly proportional to the amount of weight over an axle. So maybe 35-40% front and 60-65% rear. Or something like that.