XC Wheels

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got my Haven Carbons via the aussie importer. Apparently, they only had front wheels with qr15 hubs in stock. So I tried to buy a set of qr15 SID XX World Cup forks but Monza didn't have any at that time. So Apollo pulled the 9mm qr axle bits out of a Haven Aluminium front wheel and swapped it over for me. Pretty good service I thought.

I'm running them on my carbon hardtail. Slight overkill but they seem bomb proof, are light enough to race, super stiff and I reckon they look cool. My first race on them was the Otway Odyssey. They were great peace of mind on those steep, slick, rutted decents where I knew they could handle whatever came along. I wouldn't have been so confident in my Podium MMX wheelset. I didn't hold back either, managed to bend the lowers on my forks...looks like I will make the switch to qr15 when I can anyway.

bs2000

Cannon Fodder
Hi Guys,

I'm the new Product Manager for Easton in Australia. We have stock of both front and rear EA90 XC wheels with both 9mm and 15mm options for the front. We also have most common spares available to cover all Easton wheels, not just the models we bring in. If we are out of stock of a spare we can have it here usually within 10 days for your LBS to order.

Haven Carbons are also now ready to roll for those who prefer the black stuff!

gadget1

Likes Dirt
my 2 cents

XT factory wheels

had for over a year. bulletproof rims, awesome wheels. Once rode on a rim for a couple of km when valve on spare tube was stuffed. (it was a team event!)
don't roll as well as XTR wheels.
bit heavy
have had some problems with hubs over the last 6 months or so after they got a couple of soakings. Was having to service them everytime they got wet, or every 100km or so, but took them to new mechanic who says that's fixed now. No probs since

240s hubs/crest rims/revolution spokes (32h).
only done about 500km on these.
hubs are awesome, just want to roll. wheels stiff and light. Feel like i can ride a gear higher than before. Dented one rim slightly hucking on rigid forked HT, so prob wasn't rim's fault;). don't feel as bullet proof as XTs, but still strong enough for XC duties, and superb wheels to ride.
loud freehub
bit harder to fit tyres than XT rims
Not quite as light as I thought. Same weight as new XTR race wheels.

i weigh 70kg

Boreit

Likes Dirt
what sort of wheel weights is TWE building for your respective body weight? have read 1500gm wheelsets for 85kg riders, what have others had built?

bikerboy85

Likes Dirt
Ive had 3 sets built by Greg im 88kgs
1. Everyday XC Wheels = 1550g
2. Carbon Race XC Wheels = 1380g
3. Roadie Wheels = 1450g

Haven't missed a beat, still straight and hubs are still smooth. Highly recommended

Lorday

Eats Squid
Hope hubs (SS rear)
Apline Rims (32H)
Dt double butted spokes (2-1.8-2)
Prolock nipples

All black, hand built (bike shop). Fast and light. Tubeless is a breeze. Generally sick.

al_

Likes Dirt
Has anyone had any experience with FSA wheels? I'm just looking at a basic set for my old steel frame that i'm building back up. Looking at the xc 100 or 150.

Are they ok for fairly basic wheels?

Last edited:

porca

Likes Bikes
fsa

I have had some fsa road wheels that were reasonably light and cheap but they made heaps of noise. I replaced them (warranty) once then binned them. They didnt last long!

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had a look back a few pages, so 'scuse me if there has been some postings.

Thoughts on Cranks Brosk cobalt wheels? I think they look sweet and CRC has em for $542, or $678 depending on colour.

I don't ride too hard and am in the low 70kg range. My current wheels are very cheap and probably fall into the 2kg+ range.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
I don't ride too hard and am in the low 70kg range. My current wheels are very cheap and probably fall into the 2kg+ range.
They look hot. I've had them on my Mojo for almost 2 years now, weigh a bit more than you and all though it doesn't get ridden often when I do ride it it gets ridden hard(ish). The very early models had some freewheel issues but this seemed to have been fixed and I've had no problems

dej

Likes Bikes
I had some custom wheels built up by CRC just over a year ago..
They're dt-swiss xr400 rims, hope pro2 hubs and dt spokes
I think it ended up costing just under $500? They've been very reliable during that time..

wattieez

Likes Dirt
My new wheels will be arriving next week!
DT 240's laced to ZTR Alpines (white)

I'm 82k so I'm going to have to treat these wheels rather nicely :rolleyes:

Lorday

Eats Squid
My new wheels will be arriving next week!
DT 240's laced to ZTR Alpines (white)

I'm 82k so I'm going to have to treat these wheels rather nicely :rolleyes:
Dented my rear rims (only one side) mine running <25psi on the last section of woodfords single track (really rocky, on ht) over the weekend. Dent big enough to allow air to escape as the tyres bead doesn't seat properly there anymore. Now I weigh a lot less then you but am very harsh on my wheels. Saying that I'd normally run 35psi (trying lower pressure for the ride), and I wouldn't of had a problem at that pressure IMO.

When I replace the rim, I'll be replacing it again with an apline.

Center Lock vs 6 Bolt

Been advised that the DT 240s are the hubs to go for, if looking to build up a set of lightweight wheels for racing.

Is there much noticeable difference between the Center lock and 6 bolt hubs, or does it not really matter which one to go for? There's 3 options, 6 bolt, CL with adapter or straight CL. Is the only real difference between them a gram or two? I'll be using them with Formula R1's, and Formula do both 6 bolt and CL rotors.

Cheers.

I love light wheelsets, but being around 86kg to 88kg with riding gear on, I think I have paid the price in some respects.

I had a pair of Easton XC Ones for a year and I had troubles... My front wheel potato chipped itself on a smooth piece of trail that I was pumping through. I ended up superman-style OTB and leaving a chunk of my knee on the lockout lever of my fork. Got 4 stitches. The rear seemed to break spokes much more frequently than I have ever experienced previously (3 broken spokes in the last 6 months I had them).

I went on to a set of Fulcrum Red Metal 3s. These are very light (I think around 1550g for the pair), tubeless, and cheap (At the time $500 for the pair). They have been treated pretty harshly and only after about 2.5 years of hard riding have I broken a spoke (on the rear). My LBS noticed the rear rim is twisted though. I dented the rear rim also, but a set of pliers bending the dent back has resulted in no further dramas, and it still holds air without problems.

I now have a set of XTR Race wheels. Maybe I should have gone with the XTR Trail wheel at the back given my history and weight.

Anyway, I regret buying the Easton XC Ones, I reckon I was too heavy for them, or it was a case of the wheels requiring too much maintenance. For me, the Fulcrums were good; I reckon I was just within tolerance regarding my weight. I haven't ridden the XTRs enough to comment yet.

For me, the only advantage of centrelock rotors is the ease with which a rotor can be installed and uninstalled from the wheel. I inevitably end up chewing out the insides of the bolts and/or slicing my knuckles on the rotor when dealing with my 6-bolt rotors.

Last edited:

foolbis

Likes Dirt
From what I have heard Centrelock rotors weigh a little less, but I dont have any other knowledge of why you would choose one over the other apart from as mentioned above....ease of taking on and off. That said, my rotors are set and forget so thats not problem for me.

If you are going to go lightweight, and mid priced, then you need to expect them to be a little more fragile than a surly 2000g + wheelset. BUT there are always exceptions to that rule.

If you have the cash..... Easton Haven Carbon :cool: the money draining out of my wallet hurt a lot.... until my first ride! Now I understand why its sometimes better to spend the money rather than moaning about the crap you bought last week falling apart on you already..

Ivan

Eats Squid
Been advised that the DT 240s are the hubs to go for, if looking to build up a set of lightweight wheels for racing. Is there much noticeable difference between the Center lock and 6 bolt hubs, or does it not really matter which one to go for? There's 3 options, 6 bolt, CL with adapter or straight CL. Is the only real difference between them a gram or two? I'll be using them with Formula R1's, and Formula do both 6 bolt and CL rotors.Cheers.
Despite what has been said above, I have found shimano centrelock rotors to be much heavier than some 6 bolt rotors like the Hopes. There is a significant weight saving to be had in rotors actually, so be careful what you choose. Formula rotors are generally fairly light, so maybe their CL rotors are light too. I like centrelock for the ease of installation, but the weight made me switch back to 6-bolt.