Xt levers on Magura calliphers

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
My MT5 levers are leaking dammit!! Plus they are shit to bleed. Any reason why I couldn't cut the lines and fit XT levers? Magura and shimano are both mineral?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
My MT5 levers are leaking dammit!! Plus they are shit to bleed. Any reason why I couldn't cut the lines and fit XT levers? Magura and shimano are both mineral?
You need the magura lines with Shimano nut/olive setup. Works a treat, solid feeling lever and powerful caliper.

I've done it with 2 sets. I like the zee levers better but m765 levers also working fine.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

DMan

You need the magura lines with Shimano nut/olive setup. Works a treat, solid feeling lever and powerful caliper.

I've done it with 2 sets. I like the zee levers better but m765 levers also working fine.

Perfect. That's what I figured. Thanks

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In a fun parallel. Im running deore levers with my TRP 4 pots. Heaps better feel and no wandering bite point

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Is Shimano wandering bite point due to the levers or calipers?
Everything I have read puts it down to the bore in the lever not being hardened, or something like that.

What confuses me though is when people put on Magura callipers all of a sudden the wandering bite point goes away. To me this points to the caliper/hose/combination of all 3 being the problem.

Hoping someone has an answer because I have been wondering for a while.

Reactions: SDA

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Everything I have read puts it down to the bore in the lever not being hardened, or something like that.

What confuses me though is when people put on Magura callipers all of a sudden the wandering bite point goes away. To me this points to the caliper/hose/combination of all 3 being the problem.

Hoping someone has an answer because I have been wondering for a while.
Yeah, it's in the lever somewhere. Swapped calipers from 2 pot to 4 pot with the same lever and it improved but hasn't gone away. It's a tiny amount of difference, enough to be annoying, not enough to make me do something about it.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yeah, it's in the lever somewhere. Swapped calipers from 2 pot to 4 pot with the same lever and it improved but hasn't gone away. It's a tiny amount of difference, enough to be annoying, not enough to make me do something about it.
From what I read it was the wearing down of the master cylinder bore that caused it. Going from 2 pot to 4 pot would probably reduce it because of the larger volume of fluid.

Guess it's still the lever and going to new calipers won't fix it.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I had it on a set, then bled them and still had it. Swore a lot and decided to start seeing other brands, then bled them again and never had the issue again

Maybe there's other things that cause it too, but there may be some merit in looking at how you bleed. Only ever had it on the one set too, and never seen it since I fixed it.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
From what I read it was the wearing down of the master cylinder bore that caused it. Going from 2 pot to 4 pot would probably reduce it because of the larger volume of fluid.

Could be that, but mine have been like it from new.

SDA

Likes Dirt
Yeah my bike came with 4 pot Shimano XT's. Thoroughly disliked the wandering bite point and on off feeling, so I replaced them with Magura MT5's.

Sure the MT5's have taken me a huge amount of time to set up (primarily due to them being the first set of brake I have ever bled), but (apart from the noisy race pads) they are the first set of brakes I don't think about on the trail. They're awesome.

The idea of changing the levers to Shimano's has made me curious, but considering the wandering bite comes from the levers, it will be a firm no for me.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yeah my bike came with 4 pot Shimano XT's. Thoroughly disliked the wandering bite point and on off feeling, so I replaced them with Magura MT5's.

Sure the MT5's have taken me a huge amount of time to set up (primarily due to them being the first set of brake I have ever bled), but (apart from the noisy race pads) they are the first set of brakes I don't think about on the trail. They're awesome.

The idea of changing the levers to Shimano's has made me curious, but considering the wandering bite comes from the levers, it will be a firm no for me.
What are you going to do with the XT 4 pots?

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't

My XT 4 pots did a wandering bite point thing and I came to the conclusion it was the pistons in the caliper. Would only happen on the front caliper and I could replicate it on the same piece of trail on nearly every ride. I would hit some decent chattery square edge bumps which would be violent enough to move the pistons back into the caliper so when I squeezed the brake the lever it would either go to the bar then pump up or anywhere in between depending on how far the pistons had gone back into the caliper. Made it quite interesting going into the upcoming right hand corner and I weirdly enjoyed the feeling of controlled chaos going into that trail but I started getting quicker and it was happening too often to be comfortable with and I went Magura on everything.

I've always wondered if the same brake set up on a 20mm axle and a set of Fox 40's would have cured the issue..thinking back I recall I was running Fox 36 forks..

DMan

Mine are leaking levers. I can pull the rear into the bar after a full bleed still. Plus they are a PITA to bleed. Shimano are so easy with the cup! Even a wandering bite point will be better than not stopping.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Mine are leaking levers. I can pull the rear into the bar after a full bleed still. Plus they are a PITA to bleed. Shimano are so easy with the cup! Even a wandering bite point will be better than not stopping.
How old are they? I thought Magura were meant to be pretty good with warranty