Yarra Bend Park Proposals

Perry®

Likes Bikes
Those who ride the trails in Melbourne or anyone who wants to support the development of MTB in Australia should show their support and give the council some ideas on future development at Yarra Bend Park.

Submissions close 21st November, and with enough support their is mention of closing the 3 par golf course and building a MTB specific park!

Yarra City Council (VIC) is currently accepting emails & letters of support for the provision of a purpose built mountain bike park and the development of a managed single track network.

Send your comments and support for the proposed tracks, shared trails and mountain bike park at yarra bend park, include your name, email and day time phone to:

Fax to: 9326 0091
E: yarrabendpark (at) jeavons (dot) com (dot) au

Post to Yarra Bend Park Comments
atleisure Rear 534 Mt Alexander Road Ascot Vale 3032

If you would like to receive a copy of the Draft Directions Plan or Feedback Comment form please visit yarracity (dot) vic (dot) gov (dot) au

Beat me to it. Thanks for posting that up.

Guys/gals, please get on board ASAP and email/fax/voice them your support for the development of a sustainable network of trails for MTBs as a recognised user group, before submissions close on Friday. Without representation we'll get zero facilitation of our needs as a significant user group of the Yarra Bend trails/area.
It doesn't need to be lengthy, just vocalise your support.

Don't forget to leave all of your contact details too.

tripmitz

Likes Dirt
Thanks for posting the details.

The draft plan is quite interesting and can be found at the following link:

http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/Consultation/

It's good to see in Appendix 4 (pg 38), that mountain biking fits all of the criteria. The only other recreational activity to do so is walking/dog walking. Hopefully this means we (mountaain bikers) have a good chance for improved access and further trail development in the area.

So send in your comments to City of Yarra!

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great post Perry! I've just got into a bit of XC around this area (I usually went out to Tempy along the Yarra single track but needed to get on some hills!) and I thought it was great. Will be submitting my support.

It's good to see in Appendix 4 (pg 38), that mountain biking fits all of the criteria. The only other recreational activity to do so is walking/dog walking. Hopefully this means we (mountaain bikers) have a good chance for improved access and further trail development in the area.
Thought that was interesting as well. Good to see. Also happy to see that they have observed that all groups generally respect each others needs (unlike what happened in this post http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=149968)

Having been through the City of Yarra's review processes before (some tool shiner tried to build a monolith next door!!) I can only say that it's pretty good and the consultation is done very well. Which is why we need to get out there and make sure they realise how many support it.

Make some (good) noise!

bumpygreen

Rate Cool
Proposal draft

Because some of us are lazy, busy, incapable of structuring a sentence, is it possible to post a draft submission/response that we can copy/paste and then email in?

dh damo

Likes Dirt
Submissions close 21st November, and with enough support their is mention of closing the 3 par golf course and building a MTB specific park!
So when you say "MTB specific park" does that mean dirtjumps to or just more xc trails?

Perry®

Likes Bikes
So when you say "MTB specific park" does that mean dirtjumps to or just more xc trails?
Damo, "MTB" meaning trials, freeriding, downhill, dirt jumping, 4x, street, freeriding, xc, enduro......

It's a chance to present new directions/ideas for new facilities in the park, you want dirt jumps, let them know.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
just sent one through then, i will nt post the exact email, as i KNOW some one will just send it straight through... which will look a bit silly as i talked about personal experience's with the park!

but basically i spose a good idea would be to (if you want to go into detail) cover quickly points of.

-the area is close to Melbourne

-the area, even through illegal to do so, has quite a large group od MTB'ers who use the park, (i actually said, i used to ride the park, untill it become completely illegal, and all the dirt paths, made into concrete, which i also made the comment, of that being a GOOD thing for the park, and its other user's in regards to safety etc etc.)

-you yangs, being an hour from the city, but getting much use, surly an area so close to city could get great use.

- the council would not be on its own, as MTB'ers are some of the best volunteer's out there when it comes to pushing there own sport, and helping maintain the vast facilities that we have to use.

etc etc etc etc etc ...

please use spell check also.. even i did!!!! :)

Staunch

Eats Squid
Just sent an email off then. I would love for this to happen, to have somewhere to ride so close and not having to travel for ages to get to somewhere. I hope they end up building something.

sundy

Likes Dirt
It would obviously be a good idea to send these details to any mtb mates you have that do not frequent Farkin (and ask them to send it on their mtb mates and so on).

I'm currently in the UK, and having seen what can be done with the support of the authorities in places like Wales and Scotland, this is a good thing. I'll be showing my support.

sundy

ps. Can we get any of the mtb clubs involved?

pps. It might also help to get the bike shops involved with some sponsorship - VicMTB, Brunswick Street Cycles, Ivanhoe Cycles, are you guys willing to join the party? (They're the first 3 i thought of) It would be a great way to get some advertising out there. They might even let you have a shop there...

Last edited:

Perry®

Likes Bikes
Just a reminder that submissions and support must be in by the 21 November 2008.

So please email your comments and support for the proposed tracks, shared trails and mountain bike park at yarra bend park, include your name, email and day time phone to:

Fax to: 9326 0091
Email to: yarrabendpark@jeavons.com.au

Post to: Yarra Bend Park Comments
@leisure Rear 534 Mt Alexander Road Ascot Vale 3032

Marx

Likes Dirt
I skimmed the draft & it looks like the only 2x places considered for MTBing will be the Studley park ‘loop’ (around where they currently do road crits) & a likelihood of using the golf course – Par 3 golf course/Rylah Oval – if (only if) the golf course is closed.
That leaves out everything else.

Even the Studley Park proposal indicates a ‘rationalisation’ of the MTB trails. Considering how steep it is around there, & the fact that Parks have to maintain anything they ‘build’ , it does not look promising.

Perry®

Likes Bikes
I skimmed the draft & it looks like the only 2x places considered for MTBing will be the Studley park ‘loop’ (around where they currently do road crits) & a likelihood of using the golf course – Par 3 golf course/Rylah Oval – if (only if) the golf course is closed.
That leaves out everything else.

Even the Studley Park proposal indicates a ‘rationalisation’ of the MTB trails. Considering how steep it is around there, & the fact that Parks have to maintain anything they ‘build’ , it does not look promising.
The fact that the park has recognised mountain biking in the plan and has recommended facilities to meet demand can only be a positive for mtb, it's up to us to ensure that mtb is not restricted to the suggested zones (7B & 7D). Also, the fact the the plan mentions the possibility of converting zone (8A- the existing Par 3 Golf Course) into a mtb park (this could include dirt jump, bmx, trials, freeride, xc, enduro etc)... this is a huge opportunity.

Full support of the MTB community should also be offered to the park to help maintain any facilities they provide.

gbar

Likes Bikes
supported, in writing, would be great to see a commitment to an MTB facility so close to Melbourne.

peto

Likes Dirt
Only one day left to get the word out.

Sent them an e-mail today and told some mates to get the word around.
The more e-mails form us the more chance we'll get heard.

Staunch

Eats Squid
Hey
Sorry for the gravedig but does anyone know what the progress is with this. I got an email today thanking me for my contribution and such but is this going ahead, what are the plans for the MTB park?