Yarra Trails regulars

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Not a bad day for a ride. So I took the day off and took the roadie down beach road. It was awesome running all the red lights and knocking over little old ladies.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Of course Rob. I only ride a road bike so I can shave my legs.
I only ride a mtb so I can eat more pies.
Life's all about balance.

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode from Ringwood via the mullum mullum creek trails to Blackboard road then smashed a quick loop on the yarra. Was good!

Plan to park at Ivanhoe tomorrow and get some the Singletrack in before school!

ninjasstolemytv

Likes Dirt
Rode from Ringwood via the mullum mullum creek trails to Blackboard road then smashed a quick loop on the yarra. Was good!

Plan to park at Ivanhoe tomorrow and get some the Singletrack in before school!
Do you do the mullum single track? Hardly see any cyclists ever on them. Only walkers but even that's a rarity.

Ordered some stuff from CRC on the 2nd, it's taking fucking ages to come. My drivetrain needs an overhaul pronto.

Last edited:

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode from Ivanhoe into the city today via the trails.Was super slick! Awesome!
Havent done the section next to the Eastern freeways since I did FTF rides before I had a licence. Loved it!

Do you do the mullum single track? Hardly see any cyclists ever on them. Only walkers but even that's a rarity.
I used to ride them all the time around 2006-2008. When Eastlink started I steered clear for a while then havent been back til last week. Id be keen to do some work on them. I know a few guys who ride them!
The first time I ever rode them they were amazing! Then the tunnel etc was built!

ninjasstolemytv

Likes Dirt
I used to ride them all the time around 2006-2008. When Eastlink started I steered clear for a while then havent been back til last week. Id be keen to do some work on them. I know a few guys who ride them!
The first time I ever rode them they were amazing! Then the tunnel etc was built!
They still are man, I ride them everyday.

Are these still the same trails as the old ones do you reckon? They still are in great, ridable condition. I aim to KOM at least one by end of year, but it's tricky.

http://www.strava.com/segments/7068677
http://www.strava.com/segments/2498793
http://www.strava.com/segments/5012048
http://www.strava.com/segments/3068925

Do you know Luke Billing? He's the only person I've ever met on the trails, albeit only once. His yellow SB66 is pretty overkill but it gets him the times.

I ordered on the 30th of June and no show. Don't know what's going on with Royal Mail. Really getting shitty.
Doubt I'll go CRC again if I get Royal Mail or unless there's a big sale. JensonUSA is my next to go.

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I purchased stuff from my lbs and I had it in my hand with in three seconds. Cause I buy stuff all the time from my lbs they give me a discount. I get to talk to a real person about my stuff and my problems- it's like therapy.
Supporting my local bike store- priceless.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Supporting my local bike store- priceless.
Paying LBS prices (even with a discount)- price gouging

I buy local if the price is reasonable, but when the local is 100% more expensive? Sorry, but I work too hard to earn my money. I like to get the best value per $ spent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Paying LBS prices (even with a discount)- price gouging

I buy local if the price is reasonable, but when the local is 100% more expensive? Sorry, but I work too hard to earn my money. I like to get the best value per $ spent.

One bite so far

Have you ever asked your lbs if they cAn match a price on something.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Have you ever asked your lbs if they cAn match a price on something.
I have, and the reply was "If I do, you can come and get it in 2 weeks". He was joking.

In fairness, my criteria is this: if I need it now, if it's not a big ticket item, if the price is reasonably close or if I want local warranty assurance, I buy local. Not only bike stuff. Otherwise, I search online and if I find what I'm looking for substantially cheaper that's where I'll buy.
In saying that, it's not always the way that OS means bargains. Some stuff I've bought locally when I've needed it has turned out to be competitive with anywhere else online.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
I'll bite JD. I buy stuff mainly online but if I need advice, try something on or need a specific part I go to a store. I do that for everything from kids toys, cloths bike parts and food. Buying online isn't always about price. Convenience and choice play a part too.Having said that when I go through 4plus sets of brake pads, 4 plus chains a year and two cassettes plus chain rings across two bikes both running XT drivetrain. I buy stuff when it on special OS and from oz sites ( mtb direct is great). Bought a few xtr brake pads for $13 a few days ago. $25 in a store. Most shimmano stuff can be bought cheaper overseas than some dealer prices in Australia. I still buy stuff from my lbs regularly. Just not the stuff I go through frequently

takai

Eats Squid
I'm just sick of getting poor and shoddy customer service from my local shops.

Getting laughed at when I asked if they had any UST tyres in 26" because 'no one rides that old junk anymore, 650b will make your riding heaps better'.

Or told that I didn't want a Stan's Flow EX but a WTB laserdisc that they had in stock would do just fine, and you don't have to lace up all 36h if you have a 32h hub.

Or asking if they could contact a supplier (Jetblack) to ask about stock of an item to be told that JB has folded and they were glad as they sucked. Despite this shop stocking JB products.

Or finally asking if they has Stan's sealant only to have the guy claim that no bikes are tubeless and all MUST have tubes.

That's the four experiences of my local shops that means I won't bother going back and wasting half a day searching for an item.

The time saving I make from not hunting around the various shops getting stupid answers is well replaced by just a few clicks and waiting a bit.
Bike parts are not the only item either. I order probably 80% of my non groceries online, from stationery to clothing. Time spent trawling trough the city searching for items is far better spent with the family or friends.

Ps. My old LBS was great. Still drop in for a coffee when I'm in Adelaide, and sometimes even get them to order in if I know I'll be in the area.

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
yeah fair enough- especially stuff you go through often like running gear. We could all discuss appaulling service from a bike store- like any industry - there are complete knobs and arrogent w@nkers everywhere.

In saying that I suppose I have been fortunate to have several people at different stores over the years that I know will always look after me. In the past when I have been discussing options on gear- they would even suggest that I would be stuppid not to buy a particular part online as they cant get close. Even staff of shops buy on line at times becasue the access to deals is so good.

I am often stunned at the service I get at particular stores. Nothing grates on me more than a too cool for school, sh!t dont stink and clicky elitest attitude- give me a young kid with out the knowledge but with nergy and a good attitude anyday. They turn out quite often to be great people to know down the track.

Anyway- just stirring you lot up abit. Is the wait worth the $$$ saved?

How are those Yarra trails folks

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
How are those Yarra trails folks
I was just starting to wonder the same thing myself! :spy:

Instead, I can say that the Dry Diggings tracks around Castlemaine are great fun atm, except for the constant unavoidable small puddles along the narrow aqueduct sections, that will eventually get your feet wet, and hence very cold if you are doing a long (in time) ride (say Vaughn Springs and back..)... Take some booties...