Yarra Trails regulars

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I was just starting to wonder the same thing myself! :spy:

Instead, I can say that the Dry Diggings tracks around Castlemaine are great fun atm, except for the constant unavoidable small puddles along the narrow aqueduct sections, that will eventually get your feet wet, and hence very cold if you are doing a long (in time) ride (say Vaughn Springs and back..)... Take some booties...
is that the aqueduct trail that stretches from south of the township- Castlemaine towards Dailesford (?).
Lovely trail that one.
Anything in the Pines these days since it has been logged?

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
I was just starting to wonder the same thing myself! :spy:

Instead, I can say that the Dry Diggings tracks around Castlemaine are great fun atm, except for the constant unavoidable small puddles along the narrow aqueduct sections, that will eventually get your feet wet, and hence very cold if you are doing a long (in time) ride (say Vaughn Springs and back..)... Take some booties...
Seal Skinz socks are your friend - with tights tucked over the cuff. I find that errant sticks and snakes tend to jump up and puncture booties on the DDT trail.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Anyway- just stirring you lot up abit. Is the wait worth the $$$ saved?
I'm happy to pay to visit a bike store just to see how far a hole in a human ear lobe can be stretched.

Actually after a sniff of Bike Mechanic's Milk chain lube it all makes sense.

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
Seal Skinz socks are your friend - with tights tucked over the cuff. I find that errant sticks and snakes tend to jump up and puncture booties on the DDT trail.
Yeah neoprene socks are actually what I meant. More for the warmth when wet, rather than waterproofness.

is that the aqueduct trail that stretches from south of the township- Castlemaine towards Dailesford (?).
Lovely trail that one.
Tis indeed!

Anything in the Pines these days since it has been logged?
Haven't been back there since they logged some sizable blocks about 1/4 - 1/3 of the way in to the big loop a few years back. Used to know it very well; I probably need to do a summer ride with some locals to relearn it (if a coherent big loop still exists?

Last edited:

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Yeah neoprene socks are actually what I meant. More for the warmth when wet, rather than waterproofness.
Gotcha. I've had a thing going for the seal skinz for a few years now because of the merino liner - so the tootsies are dry and warm. I also find that they pump air as you pedal so the feet don't sweat. Been wearing them on the Yarra trails to kick the drainage channels open and drain puddles.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Guys,

Looking for some thoughts (yes, it's a tech question but I think you guys are real smart in the YT thread). Would you guys buy a specialized 2013 carbon frame in other state (of Aust, not a state of incoherence or drug state) unseen. Seller says used from March to Dec for races only (every 2nd/3rd week) plenty of photo's, seems to be a sound background of bike (more research in progress), no real idea yet of seller but seems to be associated with a bike store. If I took the seller out of the equation would you buy a carbon frame unsighted and second hand.

Cheers,

Coast

(I think PB already has his hand on the reply button).

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Yeah mate go for it- what's the worst that can happen

If he is from a shop he should be able to help you if there was an issue and pack it up for you. I have brought frames / bikes / and parts from all over the globe and never had a problem

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They still are man, I ride them everyday.

Are these still the same trails as the old ones do you reckon? They still are in great, ridable condition. I aim to KOM at least one by end of year, but it's tricky.

http://www.strava.com/segments/7068677
http://www.strava.com/segments/2498793
http://www.strava.com/segments/5012048
http://www.strava.com/segments/3068925

Do you know Luke Billing? He's the only person I've ever met on the trails, albeit only once. His yellow SB66 is pretty overkill but it gets him the times.
Yesss iv known Luke for a long time! I did spy on strava he has been down there a bit! Ill have to get down there more often. I just work in Ringwood and the mullum mullum is 500m from work!

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,

Looking for some thoughts (yes, it's a tech question but I think you guys are real smart in the YT thread). Would you guys buy a specialized 2013 carbon frame in other state (of Aust, not a state of incoherence or drug state) unseen. Seller says used from March to Dec for races only (every 2nd/3rd week) plenty of photo's, seems to be a sound background of bike (more research in progress), no real idea yet of seller but seems to be associated with a bike store. If I took the seller out of the equation would you buy a carbon frame unsighted and second hand.

Cheers,

Coast

I bought my Genius 720 (carbon) second hand from QLD, from photos and a description. Similar situation actually, owner works in a bike shop, rotates bikes every 6 months, buys wholesale and sells at same price, and being such a good deal, I was sceptical. He said it has only been ridden 3 or 4 times which I doubted, but when it arrived, it could have almost passed for new. A couple of very minor marks, otherwise immaculate.
Best thing is, as said above the packaging was awesome. Packed as a new bike would come in a box.
I think if you can ask for specific photos of parts of the frame and he will comply, it's as good as looking at it in the flesh.
Go for it! It's only money!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Guys,

Cheers,

Coast

if the price was right - and I mean reasonably cheap, remembering you have no warranty and no real comeback if something aren't right or goes bad - one thing to ask can you get the original receipt that could mean a warranty claim would/could be honored or you ask him to take it in. reason for selling? get him to describe in writing the detail and condition of frame just so you have an assurance that if it aren't as described you would have some grounds for refund. of course most mtbers are good people so it might be something he don't know about. other thing is try and make sure it has headset bearings, BB, seat clamp, any specific stuff that may be hard to source.

ninjasstolemytv

Likes Dirt
Doubt many would be on trails, weather's not looking kind. I accidentally did a 180 the other day since my semi-slicks don't like the slick dirt very much.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Rode Hans to the power line climb and back yesterday arvo before rain. Trails were good only a few puddles and the soil in that area is still dry 10cm down. Dams are nowhere near full.

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Group of us heading out tomorrow to ride from Ivanhoe to Collingwood. Normally pretty dry along there!

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went out this arvo, just stuck to the path until Odyssey. Plenty of riders out, very good to see.

I rode the ST on the other side of the path from Rosana golf course to Bonds. It's not great, but not bad. Lots of potential. That fallen tree could be a blessing.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
went to Hans Return yesterday, trails are nearly dry, notice the B line log roll we created a while back is now a nice flowing part of trail.

what can be do about that dip?

the obvious would be some kind of platform, but not sure it would last ... there's plenty of dirt around it I wonder if we could drop dirt into either side to link up the log as a cross over point. if a bunch of us got together on a sunday with shovels, a few saws sure something could be done you'd reckon.

would probably need logs on ground to still allow water to go down dip, then dirt on top, the jump dirt could be moved without cutting into area.