Yarra Trails regulars

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's true, but from what I've seen the CX newbies are having a ball getting all dirty without actually realising what they're doing to the trails.
Absolutely Casnell, I think there is a huge group of mtb/cx riders that have no honest clue they are causing damage..
And then there is a big chunk of riders who don't give a shit. I have read about organised rides in the past where they promote the fact it's a mudfest and a competition who can crash the least..

Matt C

Likes Dirt
A quick look through the #yarratrails hashtag on instagram shows who doesn't give a shit about the trails. F**kwits.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
I rode today on the bike path up to bonds and back from Doncaster rd. Had a look at the Burke rd billabong ST. Everything is slop. If we get a few mm of rain every day it will stay that way too for some time.
Here's the closures JD was talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cracker

Likes Dirt
I rode today on the bike path up to bonds and back from Doncaster rd. Had a look at the Burke rd billabong ST. Everything is slop. If we get a few mm of rain every day it will stay that way too for some time.
Here's the closures JD was talking about.

thats just bloody boring ! but it is pretty eroded

Staunch

Eats Squid
maaaaaaate we don't have a club that runs maintenance, we have tenuous ninja access, lone-wolf maintenance at best and really use your common sense and try and preserve what you love doing.

here's an example of people who like to ride their knob roadies around in circles, they draw attention to our riding and thuck it up for everyone else.
Pretty much the same reason the top of the hill near the Talbot was fenced off. Trails were there for 8+ years with minimal issues, but then the CXers cut in their loops and mad it look like a couple of 125s had gone through and boom, area 'under conservation'.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's the same dickheads who hold their crits around the Studley park pumptrack nowdays.

Last edited:
Pretty much the same reason the top of the hill near the Talbot was fenced off. Trails were there for 8+ years with minimal issues, but then the CXers cut in their loops and mad it look like a couple of 125s had gone through and boom, area 'under conservation'.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's the same dickheads who hold their crits around the Studley park pumptrack nowdays.
Yep, it certainly played a significant part in the RT area being fenced off. So too the work by the idiot/s who did a very hack job of trying to bench in new trail up there. But, hey- it's good to know that PV & council prefer the area to be completely closed off so that the local beat can well & truly thrive. It's so bloody disgusting up there these days- diabolical amounts tissues & toilet paper, lube tubes, condom wrappers, underpants etc. It's so far beyond gross it's not even remotely funny.

Tried having a really normal & polite bike convo with a few riders up at the pump track last week when I dropped by to do my regular tidy up & brush out. Had been in Qld getting my stuff moved into the new place so I hadn't been up there for a few weeks. Anyhoo, long & short was that this group of 4 older, clearly experienced guys had been out having a razz in the wet so I just politely pointed out the problem with the trails being ridden in such conditions & asked them to avoid the pump track, instead offering them an alternative route that kept them to the hard packed upper trails when it was soggy. Well, they didn't like that suggestion too much with one of the turkeys taking particular exception by going neck deep with a poorly veiled threat. Took all of my energy not to go berko & instead mustered some very carefully place words on the outcomes of me finding them riding the pump track in the wet on their CX bikes again. Got next to no time for CX riders when this sort of arse-baggery goes on. It's become abundantly clear that for a significant number of them, road riding is what they do in the drier months & CX is what they take up over the wetter months to go & have a wet "thrash about" on the trails. Daftest logie ever And while I accept there are some who don't now any better, there's clearly a number equal to or exceeding who simply don't give a single f$%k about the network.

I do hope a/some of the right minded people continue keep an eye on that area into the future. I know there's enough of you in the southern stretch of the network to keep giving it all a bit of love. Hopefully you guys continue to develop the dialogue between each other & work together on a multilateral arrangement which continues to see good people quietly going about the upkeep of the trail networks between Abbotsford & Belford Rd, Kew.

What I think & feel when I hear someone talking about CX...
IMG_2514.JPG

Last edited:

Staunch

Eats Squid
Anyhoo, long & short was that this group of 4 older, clearly experienced guys had been out having a razz in the wet so I just politely pointed out the problem with the trails being ridden in such conditions & asked them to avoid the pump track, instead offering them an alternative route that kept them to the hard packed upper trails when it was soggy. Well, they didn't like that suggestion too much with one of the turkeys taking particular exception by going neck deep with a poorly veiled threat. Took all of my energy not to go berko & instead mustered some very carefully place words on the outcomes of me finding them riding the pump track in the wet on their CX bikes again.
View attachment 329699
Thanks mate, appreciate it. It's always disappoint to rock up and find it's full of ruts after we've just spent time patching it. Everyone we've met out there are always been pretty grateful and considerate of the work, from XCers to BMXers, except the CX blokes who somehow see it as a right for them to be able to ride it, regardless of the conditions

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yep you could even create a segment on strava and have all of your mates ride around with you.

I'm not saying they shouldn't ride there or anywhere else on yts, maybe back off a bit when so wet and just be aware of not making your presence so obvious to the point where cycling stands out as a problem.

MNCX Hot Lap 1

Thanks mate, appreciate it. It's always disappoint to rock up and find it's full of ruts after we've just spent time patching it. Everyone we've met out there are always been pretty grateful and considerate of the work, from XCers to BMXers, except the CX blokes who somehow see it as a right for them to be able to ride it, regardless of the conditions
So you guys are the ones who've adopted the pump track?! This has me brimming with happiness, Excalibur. Couldn't figure out who'd been getting in & giving it a patch up when needed for the last 12mths or so. Would go by to do my regular rubbish collection & sweep, then come back with headlamp & shovel a few days later to find most of the buff work had been done in that time- you've ceased my puzzlement with your revelation. Bloody legends. A quiet beer might be in order.

From the time I built that track back in 06-07 it's been a labour of love with plenty of trials & tribulations along the way, particularly with an isolated but recurring group of pea-brain beamer boys who used to rock up there to drink beer, punch cones, cut laps & throw their shit everywhere. Haven't seen that lot in over 2yrs so I'd like to think they got the message loud n clear. Likewise when the batty-boys tried to move in & make it a new beat. Not proud of it but there's been a couple of heated confrontations with people over the years for abusing that place. This latest lot of Couriers/Urban CX riders, who've been running their little crit sessions around there in recent months, are merely the latest iteration but hopefully they'll be easy enough to work along side with. Have popped my head in on one of their events & chatted openly with them about the expectations of them using the area. To their credit a couple of the "organisers" were straight-up & positive to talk with i.e. seem to get that they need to be on there best behaviour not to fuck it up for everyone, nor give reason to piss PV off.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Its rather simple

at the end of the day we all must-

Look after the trails and dont ride them when they are f_cked. Leave them better than you found them.

Be respectful to other trail users, the ecology and land owners.

Do your bit to maintain the trails you ride- dont leave it to others. If your not sure what you can do- please ask.

If you organise rides/ groups/ events- you need to do more than most. Education and leading by example is pivotal

"It doesnt matter what you ride, how fast you are, whether you are old or young, new or experienced- treat others and the trails with care and respect. Let riding dirt tracks on bicycles be a sanctuary and positive experience for all." Gandhi or Barry White (cant remember) :peace:

redbruce

Eats Squid
at the end of the day we all must-

Look after the trails and dont ride them when they are f_cked. Leave them better than you found them.

Be respectful to other trail users, the ecology and land owners.

Do your bit to maintain the trails you ride- dont leave it to others. If your not sure what you can do- please ask.

If you organise rides/ groups/ events- you need to do more than most. Education and leading by example is pivotal

"It doesnt matter what you ride, how fast you are, whether you are old or young, new or experienced- treat others and the trails with care and respect. Let riding dirt tracks on bicycles be a sanctuary and positive experience for all." Gandhi or Barry White (cant remember) :peace:
Like this^^^^^^^

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
cx in circles

my mini rant;
these guys are mainly from roadie back grounds so the thought of looking after trails etc wouldn't be on their radar, not saying they don't care, reckon they just aren't aware of the privilege we have to be able to use such awesome single track so close to the city. and of course the responsibility to look after it.

there's a lot we take for granted as experienced mtbers; I've seen them lining up to jump sticks or go so slow in single track that I've had to do a ninja pass before I die of boredom and my bottom bracket seizes from lack of spinning.

they are on rigid bikes with only 35 mm tyres, very narrow bars, now if you think about it that's a pretty hard core set up for offroad but without the skill set they are limited to where they can ride. normally an mtber on a rigid would be an accomplished dude with Jedi Master skills, but like us ... keepers of the dirt :lol:

this is why they grind out mini grass loops rather than face Han's loop or just bomb it all the way to bonds road, they need predictable environments to practice on as that's what the cx races are, mini tracks in circles.

as a comparison think about an mtber on a roadie, he don't wear matching kit, he don't follow bunch etiquette, he belts along wondering why all the roadies are in a formation - he wants to break free and jump gutters, bunny hop water bottles, that's in our ride pattern, nope just sit there and watch ks go by. I do it because it develops fantastic endurance. and yes over time I've succumbed to staying in formation and squashing water bottles rather than a bunny hop which may upset the rider behind me.

so what's my point, ???? well don't get angry at them, one day they might be on mountain bikes, hopefully we've put the message out there to stop trashing the yarra trails in such obvious ways.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Rode Hans to Banksia St and before the pitch forks come out, the trails are ok:

Hans is mint, no leaky damn, no real mud, big grip. Take the prologue loop and you’ll miss 90% of what sloppy ST that is out there. Thanks to the trail crew for the work over the back, I think that its rougher than what it originally was, awesome.

Westerfolds has a couple of puddles along the riverside ST; however, they aren’t anything big.

Between Westerfolds and Odyssey is fine, there isn’t even puddle down the bottom of the dipper out the back.

Bonds to the golf course, mostly tacky and firm. There is the usual wet spot just down from Bonds (although a lot smaller than usual) and a few softer areas under the trees just before you re-join the bike path.

Golf course through the Somme. The first part (heading downstream) where you are right alongside the bike path is the worst, but not that bad, a couple of wet soft spots. Once you head away from the bike path it isn’t that bad, some wet spots but mainly fine (heads up: there are a couple of trees down in there). The part which used to get really bad is fine, props to the big trail fairy which did the work in there.

Anyone using the Koonung ST be aware that best part just the city side of Doncaster Rd has been fenced off, looks like some drainage works. Unfortunately the fence is at the bottom of the dip / gully, so you come flying around the right hand bend before it and as you start heading down the side with some speed on board…... SHIIIIIIT!!! (you will stop in time).

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode Hans to Banksia St and before the pitch forks come out, the trails are ok:

Hans is mint, no leaky damn, no real mud, big grip. Take the prologue loop and you’ll miss 90% of what sloppy ST that is out there. Thanks to the trail crew for the work over the back, I think that its rougher than what it originally was, awesome.

Westerfolds has a couple of puddles along the riverside ST; however, they aren’t anything big.

Between Westerfolds and Odyssey is fine, there isn’t even puddle down the bottom of the dipper out the back.

Bonds to the golf course, mostly tacky and firm. There is the usual wet spot just down from Bonds (although a lot smaller than usual) and a few softer areas under the trees just before you re-join the bike path.

Golf course through the Somme. The first part (heading downstream) where you are right alongside the bike path is the worst, but not that bad, a couple of wet soft spots. Once you head away from the bike path it isn’t that bad, some wet spots but mainly fine (heads up: there are a couple of trees down in there). The part which used to get really bad is fine, props to the big trail fairy which did the work in there.

Anyone using the Koonung ST be aware that best part just the city side of Doncaster Rd has been fenced off, looks like some drainage works. Unfortunately the fence is at the bottom of the dip / gully, so you come flying around the right hand bend before it and as you start heading down the side with some speed on board…... SHIIIIIIT!!! (you will stop in time).
Bruce's to Burke is fkd. Bruces especially, the amount of tyres that have gone through the absolute bog parts is quite ridiculous.
Any other bits up higher and in the sun are fine.
Went to have a look at what could do with some tlc and it's pretty much a write off till it dries out.