Yarra Trails regulars

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well spring has certainly sprung from banksia to burke. Trails are very tidy apart from bruce's which has grand canyon size holes from the very considerate cx crews thrashing it through winter. The local 'wildlife' were out in droves around banksia as well, breeding season has started, be warned...
The grass/weeds are very tall everywhere, but for some strange reason the main walking trail near the forbidden toliets has the grass cut to ankle height leading into the glades... Whats going on there, somebody at parks a fanboy?
Up to 30mm forecast for friday so hit the trails while there is a chance.

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
14th Sept

Yarra trails are wet wet wet

Please consider the state of the trails

You Yangs closed and more trail centres to follow.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Red Hill Riders are advising a few days off the trails as well. Burke to Bonds will be a write off for a week at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Yarra trails conditions.

Hi all had a look at some ST sections from a bike path/fire road ride. Conditions are poor from Burke Rd to Hans with full/leaking dams, billabongs filling up, minor Yarra flooding (particularly around creek junctions) and a few trees down. All areas between Burke Rd to Hans are waterlogged and will need a week of no rain at least to recover. Please avoid Singletrack in these areas and ride the main Yarra trail or fire roads around Hans and beyond.
Organising or participating in Bike shop rides in the area should be reconsidered too.
If we get some heavy falls over the next few days in the Yarra catchments we may even get flooding on the flats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

al_

Likes Dirt
I had a look at the Bonds rd section few days ago on foot. I've never seen it that bad, but plenty of people were still riding through completely submerged sections. It's a bit odd - riding in that muck can't be much fun.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I had a look at the Bonds rd section few days ago on foot. I've never seen it that bad, but plenty of people were still riding through completely submerged sections. It's a bit odd - riding in that muck can't be much fun.
Same with Candlebark (Hans to the masses). Time to leave well enough alone all around for a bit.

EDIT: In great shape today (only section under power lines boggy and ruts).

Last edited:

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
Rode Kew to Bulleen this morning except for the paddock. All in all the trails were in very good nick. Burke rd Billabong a little sloppy. As long as we dont get much rain this week, it should all be back to normal that end. Some of the bits that are a little rutted need to be ridden before they set like concrete. Also lots of grass has grown very quickly so some of the trails are a little hard to see.

Enjoy.

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
Rode Kew to Bulleen this morning except for the paddock. All in all the trails were in very good nick. Burke rd Billabong a little sloppy. As long as we dont get much rain this week, it should all be back to normal that end. Some of the bits that are a little rutted need to be ridden before they set like concrete. Also lots of grass has grown very quickly so some of the trails are a little hard to see.

Enjoy.

Having spent all day out yesterday with the SES on the saws (3300 jobs including 1100 trees down on roads!!!!!) , I'm gonna take a wild punt that there will be a ton of trees down on the tracks now... :wacko:

So take it easy on those blind corners folks, and if you've got one, take a folding handsaw; the trails are likely to need a whole-lotta trail-fairy love!!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes we fix.

if the tree adds a level of technicality to track you don't always have to remove.

if of course there's no route option then we must chop him out the way.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
yes we fix.

if the tree adds a level of technicality to track you don't always have to remove.

if of course there's no route option then we must chop him out the way.
MTB101- yes, trail fairies come and saw away the fallen tree, build a diversion or a log roll- these actions are all illegal.

Last edited:

Beej1

...these actions are all illegal.
Well, illegalities aside - I'd rather folk like yourself and shake are out there tidying up than kids digging graveyard jumps, or nobody doing anything at all.

Curiously: has anyone ever approached you during one of your trail fairy sessions and quizzed you about what you're doing?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Well, illegalities aside - I'd rather folk like yourself and shake are out there tidying up than kids digging graveyard jumps, or nobody doing anything at all.

Curiously: has anyone ever approached you during one of your trail fairy sessions and quizzed you about what you're doing?
I dont know the answer- there are consequences and potential impacts with each option.

Damned if you do- Any work is illegal, ad hoc, often poorly executed (me included) and left to a few which is overwhelming. Risk - that people are prosecuted, tracks attract unwanted attention and trails fenced off / closed at worst.

Damned if you dont- Risk of not doing nothing is and we have sub par, seasonal trails that are soon overgrown and a mess and not much fun. It has worked like this for 30 years...................................................does it really need to change? There are certain parts of the Yarra trails that we have given up on- aint worth the effort.

I suppose the only way to discover our options is to ask. To engage with Parks to better understand their over arching strategies, needs and put forward our concerns/ desire/ offer to help. To see if there is some middle ground, a better way forward. Unfortunately part of me wonders if we ask and receive - we might not like what we get- boring 3 meter wide lilydale topping, trail closures after assessments and all the effort lumped on a few. Perhaps I am overly negative.

As for people encounters while working- 85% (all different user groups) are very positive and thankful (usually stop and chat and help), 10% see you as a hassle (Strava types) and fly past, 3% show some concern and want to know what you are doing and 2% let you know it is illegal and that I m a public nuisance. I had an opportunity to spend alot of time out there over last Summer but have had little chance since. There are a few that consistently chip away- much more than me. Shakes has moved to QLD and will be missed. I have noticed some consistent work west of Chandler over Winter (many thanks to you).

i dont mind kids building jumps - kids have been doing that for 40 years and it is healthy and fun. Im sure Parks and Land owners have a different view. Im aware that these poorly built kids jumps attract negative attention for our unauthorized tracks but kids will be kids.

Last edited:

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's actually an old guy who walks the trails between Burke and Banksia I've met a few times who carries secateurs and cleans up branches at head height because he doesn't want anyone to lose an eye! He often pulls apart rollovers because the mtbers don't like them (!!?)
Haven't seen him lately, but then I haven't been out much because it's been so wet.

Beej1

I dont know the answer- there are consequences and potential impacts with each option.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure there isn't an all-round good answer. But I'm glad to hear only 2/100 people give you grief.

i dont mind kids building jumps -
Me either, so long as it's:
Code:
    ___        ___
   /   \      /   \
__/     \____/     \__
or:
Code:
Code:
    ___        ___
   /   \      /   \
__/     \    /     \__