Yarra Trails regulars

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Some fairy by the looks of it. Parks have know about it for months.

No but I'm out today. Will check if she is there and ok. If homeless it is probably safer to stay there than city or around Fitzroy/ Collingwood. I would doubt she is ok if she is sleeping rough and getting around in a gstring. Sad.
Her camp had a bit of a backpacker vibe (I could be wrong) and based on the amount of clothes which were hanging up I don’t think that she is alone.

Yep, if I were homeless I wouldn’t be sleeping in the CBD / Fitzroy / Richmond, although maybe the sheer amount of traffic around those areas provides some safety in itself.

A solution to the growing problem of homelessness needs to be found; however, our political leaders don't seem to have any ideas.

Beej1

Especially the ones with their dogs off lead. They are happy to grumble about mtbs but if you dare tell them to use a lead in an 'on lead' area they lose their shit.
I've had that too, but in those cases it usually ends the discussion, since they know their argument is void.

Most often it happens opposite the children's farm. But most interactions with dog walkers here usually result in a stop, scratch behind the dogs ears, chat to the owner and sometimes get followed by the dogs ("more pats?") to the owners dismay. In general most people just say thanks and move along. Others stop and comment on how scary it must be riding that trail. I still walk the big climb.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Her camp had a bit of a backpacker vibe (I could be wrong) and based on the amount of clothes which were hanging up I don’t think that she is alone.

Yep, if I were homeless I wouldn’t be sleeping in the CBD / Fitzroy / Richmond, although maybe the sheer amount of traffic around those areas provides some safety in itself.

A solution to the growing problem of homelessness needs to be found; however, our political leaders don't seem to have any ideas.
saw the basic camp- no cover.......... no sign of people.

Did find a small film crew up at the monument. I assume the actor was the fit bloke in orange underwear doing yoga next to the monument. I would suggest he was warming up for his scene while camera crew where setting up. Not surprised.......

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
GIVE WAY TO WALKERS EVERYTIME between the Boathouses. Please

Had a run in with a trail runner near Studley. I saw him and pulled over to let him pass. He stopped and told me I wasn't allowed to ride the trails and that there where no-bike-signs. I asked him if he enjoyed the trails and explained to him that the trails where built and maintained by MTBers- he thought it was Parks. If you like running here then you have MTBers to thank for it so we need to get along. I explained if Parks allowed bikes then they would have to insure that the trail was wide enough and sterile to handle cyclist of all abilities. That aint going to happen so they turn a blind eye and hope it goes away.

It turns out that he had been hit/ knocked by riders in groups who didnt give way and charged through. His problem was that he often finds that he is expected to get out of the way of flying MTBers....................... I explained that most people are well behaved and that there are fuckwits in every user group. He was ok in the end. I suggested he ask riders to give way rather than tell them off- others might be less civil.

If we all stop and allow walkers to get by us- everytime................ then we can all get along and use these tracks. Like I have said before- it is easier for Parks to close the tracks rather than police it or approve them. So lets not give anyone a reason to complain.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Had a run in with a trail runner near Studley. I saw him and pulled over to let him pass. He stopped and told me I wasn't allowed to ride the trails and that there where no-bike-signs. I asked him if he enjoyed the trails and explained to him that the trails where built and maintained by MTBers- he thought it was Parks. If you like running here then you have MTBers to thank for it so we need to get along. I explained if Parks allowed bikes then they would have to insure that the trail was wide enough and sterile to handle cyclist of all abilities. That aint going to happen so they turn a blind eye and hope it goes away.

It turns out that he had been hit/ knocked by riders in groups who didnt give way and charged through. His problem was that he often finds that he is expected to get out of the way of flying MTBers....................... I explained that most people are well behaved and that there are fuckwits in every user group. He was ok in the end. I suggested he ask riders to give way rather than tell them off- others might be less civil.

If we all stop and allow walkers to get by us- everytime................ then we can all get along and use these tracks. Like I have said before- it is easier for Parks to close the tracks rather than police it or approve them. So lets not give anyone a reason to complain.
Good Call JD. :thumb:

Beej1

Re: the camper - was it a small bush-green dome tent? If so they've moved on ... saw this type of tent alongside a commuter bike with basket in the middle of the bush on the Northside Plenty Gorge trails. No sign of occupant, and placed in an extremely hazardous position were it out piss down like it has in previous month or so.

But at the same time, it looked quite appealing, just hanging out by a dam in the bush.

crazy-man

Likes Dirt
Visiting from S.A

Just wondering where the trails start and finish. Thinking of going for a spin on Tuesday or Wednesday. Thanks in advance.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just wondering where the trails start and finish. Thinking of going for a spin on Tuesday or Wednesday. Thanks in advance.
go to fairfield boathouse and cross over a steel bridge (pipe bridge).

as you get to other side go hard right through wooden entrance and follow single track to right - up river. its narrow single track and watch for walkers.

you then exit through wooden opening with a large bridge above you.

that's the main yarra bike path in front of you.

now simply follow single track where you see it, first along river then cross path for the freeway single track section, off chamber lots of fun.

a bit more path with ovals on left you go up path and keep going until you have freeway on your right follow path looking for single track near end (burke road billabong), now go over a small bridge to your left then right and you then have the yarra flats section fun time again (on right through woodend gates), just go in reverse to get back to start this would be a 20k xc ride.

looks at this ride from 6k mark to 25k.
https://www.strava.com/activities/764059485

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
The log roll built over the massive fallen tree near the pipe bridge has been removed. It seems the powers that be would rather a b line gauged into the hill than a neat rollover or removing the dead fallen tree. It's been there for three months

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
first night ride last night along yarra trails, tracks in perfect condition, saw a few groups out. there's a large tree down up near banksia street near beat area, otherwise perfect night for riding.

Staunch

Eats Squid
I've mentioned this a few times before, and I hope that everyone in the thread would have enough sense not to, but please remind your riding buddies to stay off the Studley park pumptrack when it's wet. A couple mates and I are trying to do some more semi-regular maintenance now it's wet and the ground is workable, and it would make everything heaps easier if it's avoided while it's soaked and greasy.

MelbRiDer

Likes Bikes

Seems very Australian to not want to share trails - parks vic have xero idea what the term yield means.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Seems very Australian to not want to share trails - parks vic have xero idea what the term yield means.
Agree, maybe (contemporary Australia is now very, very different from traditional stereotype).

JD's observation and comment (based on my regular experience on trails) for MTB riders increasingly holds true (especially for yt) in my experience.

ParksVic aren't the issue, we (collectively) seem to be though.

Beware (as my mum would say) the pot calling the kettle black.

Last edited:

MelbRiDer

Likes Bikes
Agree, maybe (contemporary Australia is now very, very different from traditional stereotype).

JD's observation and comment (based on my regular experience on trails) for MTB riders increasingly holds true (especially for yt) in my experience.

ParksVic aren't the issue, we (collectively) seem to be though.

Beware (as my mum would say) the pot calling the kettle black.
I've always yielded - power and speed yield. It's a simple rule that shows and earns respect.

Stop when walkers are near. Simple.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
there's a tree down/across track at mid level about 200 metres in on paddock loop - yarra flats. keep an eye out for it.

Having ridden these trails for around 20 years I must say the lack of progress in sharing (from all sides) is concerning.
Comparatively to most other parts of the world we are really falling behind. Anyone who has ridden in the Euro Alps for example will attest, the first time walkers step aside upon seeing you coming and cheer you on is somewhat odd coming from Australia.

I think the current perception that the trails are built and maintained by "Parks" certainly feeds angst directed towards riders. I often point out who built and maintains the majority of the trails only to met with a blunt disbelief or brush off.
Perhaps some signage recognising the original builders and their chosen recreational passtime conveniently placed near the mentioned "no bikes" signs could at least get folks questioning who to thank for enjoying the trails?................

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The catch I suppose is, that parks do actually maintain the odd trail around studley park. They have built boardwalks on erroded areas, hand rails etc. So I can see why a typical angry dog walker think parks look after or even created the trails..