Yarra Trails regulars

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Trails are fun and fast and not a deadly viper to be seen. It's so good to have this on our doorstep.

Beej1

Trails are fun and fast and not a deadly viper to be seen. It's so good to have this on our doorstep.
Shutup.

(Forgive me ... shoulder surgery has me off trails till Summer)

By the looks of the past few pages, my ride home might be slightly different by the time I'm next on the Studley Park trails.

Staunch

Eats Squid
Has anyone else noticed the massive increase of midges/tiny flying insects over the past 12 months? Not sure if it's all around the YTs but seems to be pretty bad around the Fairfield/Studley park area. I've been riding the trails for years and years and never had too much of an issue but now riding in the late arvo is a killer, I spend half the time blinded. Had to pick 6 of the little fuckers out of my eyes (plus countless others I probably wiped out mid-ride) when I got home and in front of the mirror. Guess it's time to invest in some good riding glasses.

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
Has anyone else noticed the massive increase of midges/tiny flying insects over the past 12 months? Not sure if it's all around the YTs but seems to be pretty bad around the Fairfield/Studley park area. I've been riding the trails for years and years and never had too much of an issue but now riding in the late arvo is a killer, I spend half the time blinded. Had to pick 6 of the little fuckers out of my eyes (plus countless others I probably wiped out mid-ride) when I got home and in front of the mirror. Guess it's time to invest in some good riding glasses.
Yeah super annoying. Only some times of the day I find and when the air is super cold.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, swarms of them around. Given the current state of my fitness I spend most of the time on the bike with my mouth open gasping for breath. Not ideal when you inhale them but if you can chomp them down they make for a good bit of mid ride nutrition.

Hopefully the increase in super skinny wheels aren't trashing the trails too badly. Was ready to put a fatwa out on them last Easter after the noticeable impact they were having on parts of the YTs between the Chandler & Studley Park.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

redbruce

Eats Squid
Hopefully the increase in super skinny wheels aren't trashing the trails too badly. Was ready to put a fatwa out on them last Easter after the noticeable impact they were having on parts of the YTs between the Chandler & Studley Park.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Pressure effect - damage is done by all muppets riding when trail is clearly too wet.

There are still much more MTB than CX on trails.

Last edited:
Pressure effect - damage is done by all muppets riding when trail is clearly too wet.

There are still much more MTB than CX on trails.
Absolutely. But be that as it may, after 15yrs of maintaining the trails in that area then from experience it's irrefutable the acute damage that is cause by CX wheels in the wetter months, particularly en masse, when there's even a remote amount of moisture in the trail surface. It's a bit like hitting a block of cheese with a rolling pin vs hitting it with a knife. Likewise it's apparent CX bikes are terrified of riding in another CX bike's wheel rut/marks when the trail has a wheel groove in it, as a result areas of trail prone to holding moisture get blown apart at an incredibly rapid rate. Now in terms of CX as a sport, for many it's the winter/wet weather alternative to road riding & subsequently there was no shortage of occasions where I'd encounter group rides (6+ riders)/them in regular succession out & riding or training in the wet or variable conditions they'd be anticipating racing in i.e. the goopy, chopped up & soft conditions they'd be expecting of the Melbourne Dirt Crit/CX events.

I'm not arguing that anyone who rides the trails in the wetter months is a muppet, nor am I making a specific mtb vs CX statement, but what I am saying is that CX bikes & riders have a very dramatic effect on the trails found on the Yarra flood plains through to the Burnley St bridge & create a far more accelerated deterioration of the trails by virtue of the chosen tool they ride, the culture & an absence of commonsense coupled with both of the aforementioned elements, which in itself makes it the holy trinity of ridiciulous.

Last edited:

Staunch

Eats Squid
Absolutely. But be that as it may, after 15yrs of maintaining the trails in that area then from experience it's irrefutable the acute damage that is cause by CX wheels in the wetter months, particularly en masse, when there's even a remote amount of moisture in the trail surface. It's a bit like hitting a block of cheese with a rolling pin vs hitting it with a knife. Likewise it's apparent CX bikes are terrified of riding in another CX bike's wheel rut/marks when the trail has a wheel groove in it, as a result areas of trail prone to holding moisture get blown apart at an incredibly rapid rate. Now in terms of CX as a sport, for many it's the winter/wet weather alternative to road riding & subsequently there was no shortage of occasions where I'd encounter group rides (6+ riders)/them in regular succession out & riding or training in the wet or variable conditions they'd be anticipating racing in i.e. the goopy, chopped up & soft conditions they'd be expecting of the Melbourne Dirt Crit/CX events.

I'm not arguing that anyone who rides the trails in the wetter months is a muppet, nor am I making a specific mtb vs CX statement, but what I am saying is that CX bikes & riders have a very dramatic effect on the trails found on the Yarra flood plains through to the Burnley St bridge & create a far more accelerated deterioration of the trails by virtue of the chosen tool they ride, the culture & an absence of commonsense coupled with both of the aforementioned elements, which in itself makes it the holy trinity of ridiciulous.
Couldn't agree with you more mate. From personal experience, they don't understand the basic trail etiquette and to some, if it's not slop it's not 'wet'. More than likely because like you were saying, it's a wet weather alternative, and coming from a road background they aren't aware or simply don't care. $10 says the majority have never done trail maintenance in their life and just expect everything to come up fine. I couldn't give two fucks what size wheels/tyres you ride, but it's just a shame that it seems to be certain minority of trail users that seems to cause the most issues.

Obvious I'm not making these claims about all CX riders, but the ratio of negative/positive encounters I've had is pretty skewed to one side.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
we have to remember this time last year they were doing cx grass laps around the park in a figure 8 as training - like traffic school for bikes:frusty:.

then like man discovering fire they ventured out into the yarra trails, so now like us they spread the load of riders over network rather than in one place. so that's a win for all.

as we've had record low rain trails are in pretty good nick apart from avoiding the obvious parts, its good riding.

there's some very fit guys riding cx and many roadies getting into more adventure riding, good stuff, just don't get stuck behind them on technical stuff.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I've been trying to talk an Endurbro mate into a ride on the trails for a while now for a bit of a break from ground hog daying Cressys on a weekly basis. I know once he hits the trail he'll realise it's fun.
It's been a while since I've ridden there so if you had say 2-3 hours to show someone around where would you take them? Was thinking start at the boat house and head upriver and back but can't really remember the trails that well.
Any suggestions?

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes start at fairfield boathouse and follow trails up river, all the way to Banksia Street, then go under bridge and keep going to Bonds Road, look for single track and you're basically hugging the river. you can turn back or continue up to westerfolds and do the loop that would make it about 50ks with 4-500 metres climbing. believe me much more variety than cressy and a few good places to stop (pettys for lunch), do the powerline climb area if you really want to push it a bit more. I can send you a strava file if you want to put gpx into garmin.

emerthis

Likes Dirt
we have to remember this time last year they were doing cx grass laps around the park in a figure 8 as training - like traffic school for bikes:frusty:.

then like man discovering fire they ventured out into the yarra trails, so now like us they spread the load of riders over network rather than in one place. so that's a win for all.

as we've had record low rain trails are in pretty good nick apart from avoiding the obvious parts, its good riding.

there's some very fit guys riding cx and many roadies getting into more adventure riding, good stuff, just don't get stuck behind them on technical stuff.
We were chased down by a couple of quick guys on some very technical single track in Plenty Gorge on Tuesday night. Not all cx riders are afraid of, or slow in technical stuff.
They were lovely guys and they stayed with us until almost the end of the ride.
After all, it's just a 29er with silly bars, really. 35mm tyres might seem skinny (well, they are) but set up tubeless they're not as bad as all that.
This said, I happily sold mine recently.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Jpez

Down on the left!
yes start at fairfield boathouse and follow trails up river, all the way to Banksia Street, then go under bridge and keep going to Bonds Road, look for single track and you're basically hugging the river. you can turn back or continue up to westerfolds and do the loop that would make it about 50ks with 4-500 metres climbing. believe me much more variety than cressy and a few good places to stop (pettys for lunch), do the powerline climb area if you really want to push it a bit more. I can send you a strava file if you want to put gpx into garmin.

Thanks for that mate. That's pretty much the route I figured although I know there are so many little gem spots hidden here and there.
I did the ride from Collingwood up to the old Hans loop and back a few years ago. Boy was I shagged out after that one!

redbruce

Eats Squid
, nor am I making a specific mtb vs CX statement, but what I am saying is that CX bikes & riders have a very dramatic effect on the trails found on the Yarra flood plains through to the Burnley St bridge & create a far more accelerated deterioration of the trails by virtue of the chosen tool they ride, the culture & an absence of commonsense coupled with both of the aforementioned elements, which in itself makes it the holy trinity of ridiciulous.
Actually, think you are and is your point.

I don't ride southern YT much so was unaware of the relative numbers (Hans of Hans loop fame is only CX I regularly see at other end), and there is no doubt the smaller tyre will have more impact pressure.

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
looks like chandler highway bridge widening is beginning.
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/~/m...ler/chandlerhwy_engineer_map_aerial.jpg?la=en

The preferred option will:

improve safety for cyclists and pedestrians with a shared-use path along Chandler Highway from Heidelberg Road to the Eastern Freeway.
connect cyclists and pedestrians to the Main Yarra Trail and the Chandler Highway and Yarra Boulevard intersection
provide an alternative to the 70 steps currently located along the Main Yarra Trail.

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid
We were chased down by a couple of quick guys on some very technical single track in Plenty Gorge on Tuesday night. Not all cx riders are afraid of, or slow in technical stuff.
They were lovely guys and they stayed with us until almost the end of the ride.
After all, it's just a 29er with silly bars, really. 35mm tyres might seem skinny (well, they are) but set up tubeless they're not as bad as all that.
This said, I happily sold mine recently.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I've got a mate who does Track 14 at Youies on his CX bike, including the black section.

Needless to say, he's a much better rider than I will or have ever been.

Last edited:

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
looks like chandler highway bridge widening is beginning.
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/~/m...ler/chandlerhwy_engineer_map_aerial.jpg?la=en

The preferred option will:

improve safety for cyclists and pedestrians with a shared-use path along Chandler Highway from Heidelberg Road to the Eastern Freeway.
connect cyclists and pedestrians to the Main Yarra Trail and the Chandler Highway and Yarra Boulevard intersection
provide an alternative to the 70 steps currently located along the Main Yarra Trail.
That's good. Looks like a new ramp up to the boulie from the east side. Existing stairs will remain and one of the bridge support piers will impact the entrance to the ST but I'm sure we can realign that easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

al_

Likes Dirt
Had a run in with a trail runner near Studley. I saw him and pulled over to let him pass. He stopped and told me I wasn't allowed to ride the trails and that there where no-bike-signs. I asked him if he enjoyed the trails and explained to him that the trails where built and maintained by MTBers- he thought it was Parks. If you like running here then you have MTBers to thank for it so we need to get along. I explained if Parks allowed bikes then they would have to insure that the trail was wide enough and sterile to handle cyclist of all abilities. That aint going to happen so they turn a blind eye and hope it goes away.

It turns out that he had been hit/ knocked by riders in groups who didnt give way and charged through. His problem was that he often finds that he is expected to get out of the way of flying MTBers....................... I explained that most people are well behaved and that there are fuckwits in every user group. He was ok in the end. I suggested he ask riders to give way rather than tell them off- others might be less civil.

If we all stop and allow walkers to get by us- everytime................ then we can all get along and use these tracks. Like I have said before- it is easier for Parks to close the tracks rather than police it or approve them. So lets not give anyone a reason to complain.
We had something very similar in Studley Park over the weekend. Stopped and got off the track to let a guy through, and he gave us a mouthful on his way. Script sounds identical to yours except this guy went with the environmental damage riders do, rather than hostility to walkers.

I spent a few minutes trying to talk him around and convince him we both wanted the same things, but he was just wanted to tell us about how much damage bikes do to their walking trails.

Disappointing given everybody else was happy to say hi and get on with having a nice day. Can't please everybody I guess...