Yarra Trails regulars

yiannos18

Likes Dirt
Hans Switchback condtions

hi everyone.
went out for a ride yesterday and couldn't help but notice the decaying conditions of the switchbacks on Hans, which you can probably tell which one in particular I'm talking about from the photos...

IMG_20120331_182701.jpg

IMG_20120331_182708.jpg

IMG_20120331_182711.jpg

IMG_20120331_182729.jpg

IMG_20120331_182734.jpg

I know we all aren't perfect when it comes to our riding technique and I don't want to kill people's enjoyment, but before you go sliding through the switchbacks, please consider the damage you are doing to the track when you lock it all up! As you can see, the approach from up the hill does look rather terrible whereas coming down from the top doesn't look so bad...

Just reminding everyone to remember that they don't need to drag the brakes through a corner unnecessarily... I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, I know on some corners I'm guilty for sliding, but if we can just be wary of that fact, then we can all enjoy responsible, fun riding! :)

On that note, I'd like to organise a day with a group to go out and do some track maintenance if anyone's interested? I'm thinking towards the end of autumn so the ground is softer to work with...

mudmav

Likes Dirt
In very keen to do some yarra trails maintenance I'm only available on Saturdays on the weekend or Thursday, Friday during the week.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can I just make the point that if we rode the trail anti-clockwise we wouldn't be shagging the 2 switchback sections... Just sayin' is all...

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Can I just make the point that if we rode the trail anti-clockwise we wouldn't be shagging the 2 switchback sections... Just sayin' is all...
This is the easy way to avoid unnecessary degradation - so perhaps group rides should all be done counter-clockwise - but shouldn't we all be riding without skidding anyway? If you want to go fast, braking is much more effective when you don't lock up the wheels (hence ABS in cars, motorbikes, etc). It's not always easy to avoid the rear wheel skid, but once you get used to it, the habit's easy to maintain.

I must say that the same problem is also occurring on the much tighter switchback section at the bottom of candlebark, near the Diamond Creek Trail bridge, and also around the rabbit-proof fenced section nearby. It seem's Yianni's suggestion of some concentrated maintenance is a good idea - but what sort of remedial work can we do in there without attracting the ire of the ranger?

Cheers,
Emerson

Roasted Chicken

Likes Bikes
You can still ride clockwise without skidding, but I agree it is probably less taxing on the trail to ride CCW.
I like to mix it up from time to time, although seem to ride CCW more these days.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
re: yiannos18 post.
you only need to look at Strava Han's Loop to see how much use the loop is getting. I think these holes require some rock armoring type fill to prevent further erosion - sure there would be local rock and dirt in area. I would also be putting in some boulders etc, to slow descenders down a bit, good for their tech skills as well.

(or) what do you guys suggest?

need a team of us, and a specific day to get it going, it better be done before winter rain hits it and all goes to mush again.

Last edited:

emerthis

Likes Dirt
re: yiannos18 post.
you only need to look at Strava Han's Loop to see how much use the loop is getting. I think these holes require some rock armoring type fill to prevent further erosion - sure there would be local rock and dirt in area. I would also be putting in some boulders etc, to slow descenders down a bit, good for their tech skills as well.

(or) what do you guys suggest?

need a team of us, and a specific day to get it going, it better be done before winter rain hits it and all goes to mush again.
I think your plan is a good one. I am happy to be part of the team. All we need to do now is (organise a committee to) decide when would be a good day.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
please let me know - I have some time off over easter.

CCW is the go and if you want to mix it up - do a lap naked.

Beej1

Personally, I would advise against trail maintenance in this area without the blessing of ParksVic.

George (gcouyant) had previously made some headway in this dept. If you're all super keen, I would suggest trying to get in touch with him (if you can, he's pretty busy with his own thing these days), to see if you can pick up where he left off.

As for the switchbacks, I've always been under the impression the erosion was water-borne. Those photos look no different to me compared to same time last year. If anything maybe only slightly worse. But from my memory they started getting bad after the wet 2010-2011 spring-summer (same period the dams all began overflowing), and rapidly deteriorated into the state they're in now.

In any case, CCW FTW.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
On the YT this morning - tracks in great condition. Only got as far as Chandler Highway but even the stuff near the water like the "River singletrack" and that singletrack under the Pipe Bridge (according to Strava it's called "more singletrack"?) was dry as. There was some long grass growing near the track (was a bit dewey), but nothing to really worry about.

shakes

Likes Dirt
Doing a social ride monday morning. Catching the train from clifton hill (8:15am) will be in the first carriage on a red steel hardtail. Leaving Eltham station at 9:15am sharp back to the boathouse then to Northcote via Merri creek path for anyone thats interested. pm me if you want my number.

shakes

Likes Dirt
Those of you good with words, and those of you (including myself) that are not so good with words.

Might be worth spending some time shooting off emails/letters to let parks know how many people actually ride these trails and that they are sustainable as a 'multi-use' trail. This could be our chance to work with the rangers and end up with some legal local trails.

If someone can brainstorm some key points regarding what should be included in the letters that would be fantastic. So far I dont have much

- Having marked legal trails means people are less likely to develop rogue tracks damaging sensitive area's
- A broader use group means more hands available at maintenance days
- MTB/land use committee to create more sustainable tracks and work around sensitive areas?
- Giving MTB'ers and other users a more recognised use will create more 'ownership' or the land and they are more likely to care for it better?
- ??????????

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Those of you good with words, and those of you (including myself) that are not so good with words.

Might be worth spending some time shooting off emails/letters to let parks know how many people actually ride these trails and that they are sustainable as a 'multi-use' trail. This could be our chance to work with the rangers and end up with some legal local trails.

If someone can brainstorm some key points regarding what should be included in the letters that would be fantastic. So far I dont have much

- Having marked legal trails means people are less likely to develop rogue tracks damaging sensitive area's
- A broader use group means more hands available at maintenance days
- MTB/land use committee to create more sustainable tracks and work around sensitive areas?
- Giving MTB'ers and other users a more recognised use will create more 'ownership' or the land and they are more likely to care for it better?
- ??????????

This is a good idea, and I have just drafted a message using these points which I will send off once some more opinions have been aired here.

I think that this needs to happen across all of Victoria's public land spaces where bike-riding happens - with the goal of achieving something like You-Yangs MTB Park.

We need to point out some of the good work that has been done, and the achievements of such partnerships, both in Australia and abroad (I think NZ and Canada are really good examples, personally).

What else can we add to the starting list above? Should we develop a template for individuals to send off themselves, or draft a mass email we can all sign as a petition?

This is how I have started:

Dear Ranger-in-Charge, Lower Yarra Parklands

Please note my interest in making mountain-bike access to this area a formally accepted and facilitated option. On my many visits to the park I have considered the area to be perfect for mountain-biking, with its close proximity to the city, the Main Yarra Trail, and the many cafes and other attractions of the area.

- Having marked legal trails means people are less likely to develop rogue tracks damaging sensitive areas.
- A broader use group means more hands available at maintenance days - many mountain-bikers are happy to get their hands dirty building and maintaining suitable trails.
- Mountain-bikers / land use committee to create more sustainable tracks and work around sensitive areas - this includes developing appropriate signage and deterrents for areas which should not be ridden.
- Giving mountain-bikers and other users a more recognised use will create a sense of 'ownership' of the land and they are more likely to care for it as a result.
- Building and encouraging partnerships between land managers and mountain-bikers has seen great success in New Zealand and Canada. These groups can work together to enhance and conserve the natural environment for the benefit of all users. You-Yangs Park here in Victoria is also a nationally-recognised facility that seems to be working very well.

--
Emerson (38 years of age, public servant, Greensborough)

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nice

might also be worth mentioning the DSEs involvment in places like Buxton

someone at Yarra Parks looking into 'north shore' or 'queenstown' trails might fall into a public liability induced coma

probably most around here would be up for more like Buxton

emerthis

Likes Dirt
nice

might also be worth mentioning the DSEs involvment in places like Buxton

someone at Yarra Parks looking into 'north shore' or 'queenstown' trails might fall into a public liability induced coma

probably most around here would be up for more like Buxton
Good point, well taken. Buxton is a much better idea than Queenstown as an example.

Beej1

I think whatever anyone puts forward in response to this message needs to focus on our desire to make the trails shared use. While it would be great to have MTB only trails like those in the You Yangs (at least, I assume they're MTB only anyway), it's just not going to happen down alongside the Yarra.

From my point of view, the majority of any problems that have arisen in this area in the past has revolved around interaction between walkers and riders. I personally haven't had any hostile altercations - only a dog walker telling me I wasn't supposed to be riding upstream of the Fairfield pipe bridge, before I replied that dogs off leash weren't allowed there either.

But it's the fact that both user groups are going to be there in close proximity that needs to be focused on. As well as coming across as a mighty-eager user group ready to don our shovels and start digging environmentally sustainable trails, we need to make sure we mention that these trails are going to be for walkers as well, and that we agree on a safety-first principle when it comes to crossing paths with one another. I personally stop on the upside of the trail and let walkers past if approaching from different directions. If passing them I make sure I'm doing so at walking pace (or actually walking). I have witnessed other riders who are far less considerate, and seemingly more focused on their Strava times than safety.

So, we're all keen as mustard to be involved with the development & maintenance of trails, but we're mindful of walkers and respectful of their input as well.