Yarra Trails regulars

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Going down it must be a hoot!!!!
Descending it can get pretty skatey during summer with all the loose stuff. :) I enjoy that ST "both ways" given that it's on the way to Hans for me, and on my way home if I'm not too shagged... The power-line climb with the SS is so very painful.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Warrandyte - Sugarloaf - Smiths

Hi guys,

This is the kind of mini-epic ride we could aim for, with the option of doing more of the Smiths ST. I rode this today and would discourage trying it with SS first up. It's very "climby" but with heaps of enjoyable scenery on offer.

Garmin Connect Link

Apologies to JD for the use of technology. I promise it's not Strava.:tsk:

I'm always happy to offer a guided tour.

Cheers, Jim

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
That's just showing off! FWIW we had a gorgeous autumn day here.

25th is looking good, but I must have my arse home by 12:30 or so.
What's your arse doing at 12:30?
Yep only logged it to show off.
And ironically the weather here has been shit the whole time. But still better than home.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Going down it must be a hoot!!!!
I do that loop both ways and going over the water bar at speed down the hill can be a bit hairy. The rocks are railway track size and move a bit in sections. Good fun though. The climb definitely has a technique to it as well as needing fitness. The single track that leads back to the main yarra trail is fast and flowy. You have to open one gate and jump another to access it then climb over the fence my bike is resting against below.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
from another forum ... farkin hell:
That's all wrong. But I don't think anyone on here would fall for that shit knowing the area. I'm an ambo and from the description he gave he was putting it on.it did sound a bit more psych pt rather than poof though. Maybe a bit of both

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
That's all wrong. But I don't think anyone on here would fall for that shit knowing the area. I'm an ambo and from the description he gave he was putting it on.it did sound a bit more psych pt rather than poof though. Maybe a bit of both
I fall for it 2 or 3 times a week. One bloke was in a bad way after being bitten by a venomous snake. I saved his life by sucking the poison out. He was fine after that.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I fall for it 2 or 3 times a week. One bloke was in a bad way after being bitten by a venomous snake. I saved his life by sucking the poison out. He was fine after that.
It might've been the same bloke, because I had to rescue him from hypothermia (mid-summer mind you) by getting naked and hugging tight!!! :whistle:

Beej1

Climb up the power lines...
Personal choice I guess, but for me that whole section we're discussing is a better (more fun) ride in the opposite direction. Fast & loose down under the power lines boosting on the water bars, then gentle (mostly) elevation loss all the way back to MM creek. The only reason I climb a hill is for the descent, so that's why I take the old hillclimb route (insanely hard to ride up even though it's only 30 - 40m long, but at least it's over and done with quick & short). Quick spin through the streets filled with expensive-but-butt-ugly houses, and I'm at the top of the powerlines ready for a nice long descent.

Was one of the better rides I've had out there Sat morning - perfect weather, not too windy, not too many others out riding either, and the trails are in excellent condition.

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
I went out for a ride yesterday afternoon, starting at a Fairfield and the turning around at the banksia st bridge. Was lots of fun as it was my first time out. Took an un-used trail at one point and ended up running into a tree across a path. As I turned around I saw a guy in the bushes making the most of his alone time. Very strange.

Didn't really know where I was going but will get out again this week and go a bit further.

creole

Likes Bikes
I went out for a ride yesterday afternoon, starting at a Fairfield and the turning around at the banksia st bridge. Was lots of fun as it was my first time out. Took an un-used trail at one point and ended up running into a tree across a path. As I turned around I saw a guy in the bushes making the most of his alone time. Very strange.

Didn't really know where I was going but will get out again this week and go a bit further.
We moved that big ass tree out the way yesterday mid day, it has been there for a couple days at least.

Last edited:

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rode from Warrandyte out to Hans and back via the Hill Climb last night at about 4:30. The gnats were so thick it was like riding through a sandstorm, I'm still picking them out of my eyes, ears and hair today!
Saw some kids heading up the hill at Hans the shovels but didn't see them while riding.

ninjasstolemytv

Likes Dirt
I rode from Warrandyte out to Hans and back via the Hill Climb last night at about 4:30. The gnats were so thick it was like riding through a sandstorm, I'm still picking them out of my eyes, ears and hair today!
Saw some kids heading up the hill at Hans the shovels but didn't see them while riding.
Ah, I hate those things. Most uncomfortable thing to breathe them in.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Yeah, what's the story with those little bugs? I thought they were a Spring time issue? I rode from Heidelberg to Hans and back on Thursday evening/night, and the little mongrels were swarmed around EVERY tree along the way. Lucky I had riding glasses on and just tried to breathe out through each swarm, grabbing a quick breath in between.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quick smash of the local climbs and a lap of Hans.

2 words: "Hero Traction".... And I still managed to wipe out... :D