Yarra Trails regulars

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Oh built up the Big Top SS yesterday- what is the perfect SS Yarra gearing for mere mortals- Im going 32/ 17.
I really only ride Hans Loop and my hilly Warrandyte loop with the SS these days. I have 34/19 set-up. I really struggle around some parts of Warrandyte with that...

itisjan

Squid
Thanks for the well wishes everyone. To answer the questions I was asked.

New to the forum and mtb in general. Used to ride a Merida Matts back in the day even used to ride around Yarra Bend as I lived in the area, though don't recall the trails even as I used to go off the beaten path quite often. Been away from Aus for a number of years and never settled enough to get a bike, but now in Melbourne for good and wanting to make the most of it.

Came off just under the Johnston St bridge. Tyre slipped and I went arse over tit down the embankment. All I could think was that I was going to have to dive in the river to grab my bike - luckily apart from a slipped chain the bike stood up ok. Attached Strava screenshot shows me in the water, but that's just shoddy GPS calibration.

My left hand's pretty cut up and I think the front cog cog caught me on the way down cause my upper arm and forearm look like I've been attacked by a panther. Luckily I was wearing long sleeves.

Getting back up to the trail up a wet-grassed hillside while dragging a bike with a freely bleeding hand will be a memory I cherish for a while. Or at least look back on and wince.

I live near Lysterfield and have lesson booked there this weekend. Keen to give that a crack, but will probably have to take it easy as don't have full gripping strength in my hand. But at least I have great first aid components in the pack now.

I'm only painting as graphic a picture as I can so I can go on to say that there aren't many activities where that kind of accident would leave me itching for recovery and another go. :)

Attachments

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
heal well, another yts story .... know that section well the technical bits come up pretty fast, assume you were clipped in, ouch man.

one thing if you go into the river its so muddy on the banks you and your bike won't float away.

keep that hand clean and hopefully you have a strong immune system to fight off the toxins of the yarra.

next time post when you're coming and maybe we can organize a tour of de trails.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm only painting as graphic a picture as I can so I can go on to say that there aren't many activities where that kind of accident would leave me itching for recovery and another go. :)
... or activities where you can do that so close to the CBD! Hope you mend quickly and get back out there soon.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
I live near Lysterfield and have lesson booked there this weekend. Keen to give that a crack, but will probably have to take it easy as don't have full gripping strength in my hand. But at least I have great first aid components in the pack now.

. :)
All the best with healing. The question has to be asked though, if you live near lysterfield ( arguably Melbournes best metro mtb) what were you doing along the Yarra? Just curious ?

itisjan

Squid
All the best with healing. The question has to be asked though, if you live near lysterfield ( arguably Melbournes best metro mtb) what were you doing along the Yarra? Just curious ?
My bike's from Galleria Cycles in the CBD and I needed them to have a look at it on Sat so it was an easy decision to ride through East Melbourne and Richmond to the Yarra.

I'm looking forward to checking out Lysterfield and hopefully making it a regular ride.

Beej1

...lysterfield ( arguably Melbournes best metro mtb)
I nearly figuratively fell out of my chair at this. I could live on the shores of Lysterfield lake and I'd probably still drive somewhere else to ride. It is last on my list of Melbourne riding destinations to choose from.

Beej1

I did say arguably. Not that it is the best.
You did indeed. And maybe you're right. The carpark on weekends I've ventured there certainly seems to indicate its Melbourne's most popular.

When I first started riding I thought it was awesome.

But for the past 4 or 5 years I've found it consistently disappointing. It never improves, and new trails (2 in 8 years I think) have so far left a lot to be desired.

Whereas most of the other places around town just keep getting better. Smiths Gully, Plenty Gorge, Mt Evelyn/Warramate, Red Hill ...even the Yarra Trails. All have gradually improved over time. I'd rather ride any before I head to Lysty.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

MelbRod

Likes Dirt
Ouch

That's a fair drop there itisjan. Glad to hear you walked away.

I can't tell from the screen grab, but were you coming down from the road (Studley Park Rd) or riding the ST just past the ST intersection where it goes up the hill?

That bit of ST is shit! I've carried my bike up the stairs a couple of times there, but I always dismount at the intersection/blackberry bushes, and walk my bike to the stairs. It's only 20 metres, but I'm out with my young bloke and I know one of us will go for a swim if we try to ride it. He's also seriously impressed!

Time for a pair of long fingered gloves. (For you and me both!)

Beej1

Nah Lysterfields good. You sound like its your ex gf.
That was like ... 20 years ago. But I remember nonetheless.

She was a bit of a psycho, but .... Lysterfield is still more disappointing.

Anyway, hitting up the trails in the morning on the way to work. Would appreciate any earlier risers to clear the cobwebs from Burke Rd downstream, thanks.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hero traction on offer last night. :) Got home after a busy day at work and it was a real grind forcing myself to get changed and head off on the MTB. I'm so glad I did, even if it was just for an hour. Life feels better when you can get off your butt and pedal some. :)

P.S: Lysterfield is OK, but I'd take Smiths Gully any day of the week and twice on Sundays...

itisjan

Squid
I can't tell from the screen grab, but were you coming down from the road (Studley Park Rd) or riding the ST just past the ST intersection where it goes up the hill?
Down from the road, down the stairs, then under the bridge and fell soon after going under the bridge - heading south. It wasn't a great surface, I had nothing in the well to reach into, accident asking to happen. And yes, bloody blackberry bushes.