You Yangs Regional Park Mountain Bike Trail Closures

trav

Likes Dirt
As much as I miss the Youies and really want to start riding there again I cant help but remember it was the last ride day back in December which caused the damage.

"Quote: You Yangs MTB Park Thread, post#2311, 28-11-2010 08:16 PM.
The ride day still went ahead and yes it did effect the trails, the thing is most of the areas that were damaged looked ok when i walked the track in the morning, the water runs under ground in a lot of places and after having over 100 riders go down more then 5 times each all the vibrations brings the moisture to the surface.
We did think of closing track 13 in the morning before the day started but this would only push more riders onto the other tracks and cause even more damage. The trail crew will fix all areas as soon as possible."
Your point being?yes the last ride day did cause some damage.

As above ,the Trail Crew have been out there repairing damage.

If you would like to disscuss it further I will pm my mobile number to you,feel free to ring me.

stacky

Likes Bikes
My point is I hope the ride day isn't held if the trails are wet, to avoid the damage that was caused last time. It was shattering to see Cressy's after the last ride day.
I'll admit I'm a bit suprised the ride day is still being considered after the 80mm of rain recently but people like you and Brownie are more qualified than me to decide if its on or not.

I'm not having a go at anyone and appreciate the efforts that yourself and the club put into the trails, sorry if it came across the wrong way.

akashra

Eats Squid
If shit for brains riders ,of which there is a lot, that continue to ignore trail closure signs while the park is saturated,it will become major damage.
Trav,

Are the rangers still out in force issuing fines to those who ignore the trail closure signs?

As stated earlier, the fine for disobeying these enforced closures is $238. Of course, it would be nice if no-one were stupid enough for this to need to be said.

trav

Likes Dirt
My point is I hope the ride day isn't held if the trails are wet, to avoid the damage that was caused last time. It was shattering to see Cressy's after the last ride day.
I'll admit I'm a bit surprised the ride day is still being considered after the 80mm of rain recently but people like you and Brownie are more qualified than me to decide if its on or not.

I'm not having a go at anyone and appreciate the efforts that yourself and the club put into the trails, sorry if it came across the wrong way.
No one was more shattered than me mate.If we knew what the outcome of that charity ride day would of been ,it would not have gone ahead.Who would of thought that the youies would turn to mush?

One good thing that come out of that weekend is the way the trail net work is now managed,to much rain=trail closures.

Be assured we will make the right decision.

Brown Dog

Likes Dirt
No one was more shattered than me mate.If we knew what the outcome of that charity ride day would of been ,it would not have gone ahead.Who would of thought that the youies would turn to mush?

One good thing that come out of that weekend is the way the trail net work is now managed,to much rain=trail closures.

Be assured we will make the right decision.
I totaly agree with Trav, after the last ride day we learn't alot about the Youies trails, they are not full proof and if it is to wet the ride day and the race may be canned, all we can do is wait and see what the out come is during next week.

cruxpitch

Likes Dirt
Youies Trails

I totaly agree with Trav, after the last ride day we learn't alot about the Youies trails, they are not full proof and if it is to wet the ride day and the race may be canned, all we can do is wait and see what the out come is during next week.
It certainly reminds us how fragile our environment really is. It only takes a situation like this to put it into perspective.

Trail Management > Race Conditions.............. Always.

Good decision

Rich

dienamics

Likes Dirt
Bugger it! just bought a new bike and have barely ridden it! wish I was back in NZ right now, the weather here is total pants.

Last edited:

zstreetco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bugger it! just bought a new bike and have barely ridden it! wish I was back in NZ right now, the weather here is total pants.
2nd that....picked up my new rig on Friday, hoping to go for a smash at the yangs on sunday.......then rain came down and killed my car on Friday night, so even if they were open I STILL can't get there to ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any ideas when the trails might open back up?

cruxpitch

Likes Dirt
Man, thats like asking for the winning numbers in the lotto before it's drawn!

I'm guessing it's going to take a while. The Youies are the best drained trails around, so when Trav says the trails turned to mush, and I was there, something is seriously wrong.

I am hangin' to hit up the Youies, but if it means the trails will be crap and not fun to ride, I dont mind travelling to Warby, Maldon, Mt. Buller, or Channel 10, to just give it time to get back to its great condition. There must be at least 100% more use of these trails then any other trail network in Vic. They are getting punished by hundreds of people weekly. I have convinced my wife to run shuttles when needed, so I am still gettin a run in every weekend.

Its easy to become a little cranky when the trails we love to ride are closed, but think of those guys who tirelessly volunteer their time to build and maintain these trails, to negotiate and debate with DSE and Parks.

So give it time, let the trails recover, and it wont be long before the Youies will rip skin from riders bones once again. Once your on the trails, you will have forgotten how long you had to wait, and maybe even appreciate what we have to ride on for free!

Rich

zstreetco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Actually, I was more chasing the XC trails? Are these destroyed just as badly?

Im definitely not going to ride there until Trav gives the go ahead, just asking a simple question about opening times which apparently has no answer just yet, thats fine, no harm in asking...as opposed to going there and riding and destroying them even more.

Oh well...not as if I have any transport out there haha...keeping fingers crossed for no more damaging rain

cruxpitch

Likes Dirt
Actually, I was more chasing the XC trails? Are these destroyed just as badly?

Im definitely not going to ride there until Trav gives the go ahead, just asking a simple question about opening times which apparently has no answer just yet, thats fine, no harm in asking...as opposed to going there and riding and destroying them even more.

Oh well...not as if I have any transport out there haha...keeping fingers crossed for no more damaging rain
Sorry man, didn't want to come across agro or anything to that sort. I know it's tough. I tried to go XC riding in Lysterfield only to be closed that it was closed to.
Bloody Mother Nature!!!!!
Mmmmm........................ Virtual reality riding, now there is a concept!

Rich

You Yangs Ranger

Likes Bikes
You Yangs Regional Park Closure

The You Yangs Regional Park is closed

Due to safety concerns the You Yangs Regional Park is closed to all patrons including tour operators and general park users. All events and permits have been cancelled.

There is no access to any walking, MTB and horse riding trails or any picnic areas in the park.

An independent risk assessment is being completed next week, to determine which areas of the park can reopen, what works are required and when. This has nothing to do with the state of the trails.

We will work to keep everyone updated on opening times as soon as they come to hand.

You Yangs Regional Park

You Yangs Ranger

Likes Bikes
You Yangs Closure

The You Yangs Regional Park is Closed

The You Yangs Regional Park will remain closed until at least next Monday 21 Feb as Parks Victoria awaits the full results of an independant environmental assessment.

The park has been closed for over a week following storm damage, including the discovery of suspected asbestos present in damaged culverts.

These culverts have now been confirmed as containing asbestos, initial results from the environmental testing were encouraging, despite the presence of asbestos being confirmed. The majority of sites where asbestos has been discovered fall into the low risk exposure category.

There are a number of safety and legal requirements that Parks Victoria must adhere to in this situation to ensure the safety of everyone who works in and visits the park, so we ask visitors to be patient and to abide by park closures to ensure public safety.

Contractors have been employed by Parks Victoria and are currently working on other damage caused by the heavy rainfall such as repair works to roads, tracks and car parks. Heavy machinery is also operating in some areas to repair the damage as soon as possible.

The good news is most of the MTB tracks are being repaired as part of this process, once the park is opened you will be able to ride some sweet reworked single tracks.

Once the final environmental assessment report is received, contractors will be engaged to carry out the recommendations contained in the report. It is not known yet how long it will take to complete all the works, but at all times worker and public safety will be a priority

For more information or alternative locations to enjoy a park visit please call 13 1963 or check www.parks.vic.gov.au.

You Yangs Regional Park

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The You Yangs Regional Park is Closed

The You Yangs Regional Park will remain closed until at least next Monday 21 Feb as Parks Victoria awaits the full results...

You Yangs Regional Park
thanks for the detailed post on the closure, don't know if anyone has asked but what part of the park has the asbestos? And how did it come to be there? Thanks.

Red Peekay

Likes Dirt
thanks for the detailed post on the closure, don't know if anyone has asked but what part of the park has the asbestos? And how did it come to be there? Thanks.
Asbestos was used extensively up until the mid 80' in all aspects of the building and construction industry. Up until then it was considered a great product because it was strong, light, durable, waterproof, fireproof, and a good insulator. Its uses were wide and varied some of these being in fibro cement, insulation, fireproofing, pipes, paint, floor coverings, ceiling tiles, and roofing materials. So it's no surprise that the pipes and culverts probably contain asbestos out at the Youies. Many of these would have been installed in the 70's and 80's. If your renovating a home from that era you should always suspect the presence of asbestos and have it checked out.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I dont mind travelling to Warby, Maldon, Mt. Buller, or Channel 10, to just give it time to get back to its great condition. Rich
To anybodies interested, most of these tracks have significant damage. While some are still rideable, there isn't a single track in Vic that didn't get some form of damage over the last month.

Last edited:

dunndog

Eats Squid
To anybody interested, most of these tracks have significant damage. While some are still rideable, there isn't a single track in Vic that didn't get some form of damage over the last month.
And to add to that a little further if I may, there probably isn't a single track in victoria that couldn't use a bit of time and tlc to get back to a good state before getting smashed by bus loads of minions and schwalbes, so although everyone is jonesing bad just try to avoid doing more damage by riding in the wet..By not riding them in the wet.. Geez I worded that well didn't I..:rolleyes:

Red Peekay

Likes Dirt
...... so although everyone is jonesing bad just try to avoid doing more damage by riding in the wet..By not riding them in the wet.. Geez I worded that well didn't I..:rolleyes:
We all need to adopt the surfer mentality.... when the swell ain't there.... you've just got to find something else to do, no matter how long it takes. Patience is the key!! Short term pain for long term gain!:(:)