You Yangs trails now closed! 04/02/2011

riderideride

Likes Dirt
waaaahhhhooooo! had an awesome day out Sunday :) Got taken by surprise by a few new additions on Cressy's though. Ouch.

sukebe

Likes Dirt
No kidding Rishi! I was rather tender on my commute today! Lesson learned: scope out the new features on the track before you open up on it.

JessD

Likes Dirt
Cressy...and more

No kidding Rishi! I was rather tender on my commute today! Lesson learned: scope out the new features on the track before you open up on it.
Cressy is very schmick now...very schmick - and FFFFAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaassst!
So fast that I think I am riding slower to combat the fear of what MIGHT happen should I case it!

Def a 5" + travel bike with a lowered seat would have the track most enjoyed with some armour on the body!

On the other hand, I am a fan of the re alignment of Lactic...this will be a treat and its a pleasure to ride up.

Boulder is still in terrific condition, have not ridden Travs yet, but the Junction tk from top car park to Great circle drive is soooooooo fun. A few blind corners -
I was worried whilst climbing that I might be cleaned up, but still awesome track.

...and you cant beat the flow of the Kurrajong Tracks.

I will and have always liked to park at Sandy Crk road, ride to Stockyards, have fun then ride home on the sweetest flow around back to the car grinning from ear to ear.

Stons

Likes Dirt
Cressy is very schmick now...very schmick - and FFFFAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaassst!
So fast that I think I am riding slower to combat the fear of what MIGHT happen should I case it!

Def a 5" + travel bike with a lowered seat would have the track most enjoyed with some armour on the body!

On the other hand, I am a fan of the re alignment of Lactic...this will be a treat and its a pleasure to ride up.

Boulder is still in terrific condition, have not ridden Travs yet, but the Junction tk from top car park to Great circle drive is soooooooo fun. A few blind corners -
I was worried whilst climbing that I might be cleaned up, but still awesome track.

...and you cant beat the flow of the Kurrajong Tracks.

I will and have always liked to park at Sandy Crk road, ride to Stockyards, have fun then ride home on the sweetest flow around back to the car grinning from ear to ear.
Agree on all points... I also like to park at the Park Office/Ranger Station ride up and over and enjoy the descent down track 14, 15 and 16 back to the car.

Will be heading back this weekend to do ride Trav's, Cressy and Boulder a few more times!

safire

Likes Dirt
Ah yes, a couple of surprises on cressy's first time round for me too. Probably should have taken it a little slower...Thankfully my 5" bike (with the seat lowered!) ploughed through rocks where needed, sucked up the cased jump, used every millimetre of available travel and I stayed aboard :)

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
The realigned track 14 will take some time to bed in, it is running quite slow at the moment IMO

But I am worried about the sightlines as well once it gets a bit faster, there are quite a few sections with blind spots at the moment

Is there still plans to reroute Rockwell? Or make a new trail here?

We seem to be making too many trails that are 99% downhill, XC riders want to be able to ride up and down, at the moment most of the climbing is best done on the the fireroads. Hopefully we will see something that will replace Latic and Rockwell as a tech. climb

Cant wait to get back out there soon

sidetrack

Likes Dirt
We seem to be making too many trails that are 99% downhill, XC riders want to be able to ride up and down, at the moment most of the climbing is best done on the the fireroads. Hopefully we will see something that will replace Latic and Rockwell as a tech. climb

What he said. There is only roads to climb up.

trav

Likes Dirt
All tracks apart from track 10 and 12 which are one way tracks,can be climbed.

Track 4 will be re built as an easy climb when time allows it, be paitent we need a short break.

YouYangsMTBinc

Likes Dirt
Is there still plans to reroute Rockwell? Or make a new trail here?

What he said. There is only roads to climb up.
Rockwell was scheduled to be re-built before all the storm damage. This has obviously been delayed but is still in the plans to be totally transformed. The trail crew need a chance to relax and enjoy the trails before starting the next project.

There are only 2 dedicated downhill trails (10 & 12) these are double black diamonds and one way tracks.

There are 4 perfectly good tracks that can be used to climb, Lactic Acid (track 6) has totally been re-built, Trav’s Diamond (Track 7) is basically the same except the last 50 meters at the bottom before the westgate and Cressy (track 13) is still a 2 way track. There is also Bolder Run (Track 9) near the shelter shed that is a chance to climb with some technical obstacles. All these trails are designed and built to IMBA standards as 2 way trails and are rated accordingly. If everyone follows the “IMBA Rules of the Trail” XC and DH riders can both easily share the trails.

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
thanks

A Big thank you to everyone who helped get the trails rebuilt and opened again. We are so lucky having so many great places to ride in Vic and the You Yangs is just Awesome Fun.
Also just read that Brown Dog got a Giant sponsorship for his work on the trails.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
can someone post some pics of work and information on what work was done. I would be good to see how extensive the work was and to have it documented here.

JessD

Likes Dirt
trails

can someone post some pics of work and information on what work was done. I would be good to see how extensive the work was and to have it documented here.
mtb101 - pics would not do justice, to ride is the only way to truly appreciate and peoples feedback in words documents the awesome changes.
Some of the changes arent huge, just realignments, some are totally different like Lactic, its almost a new track!

Stons

Likes Dirt
Some trails just have some subtle changes to be aware of when going down the first time.

I would say track 5 is the only one that is a little 'easier' with the changes.

sidetrack

Likes Dirt
All tracks apart from track 10 and 12 which are one way tracks,can be climbed.

Track 4 will be re built as an easy climb when time allows it, be paitent we need a short break.
Thats good to know Trav and everyone appreciates the work you guys do.

However

"There are 4 perfectly good tracks that can be used to climb, Lactic Acid (track 6) has totally been re-built, Trav’s Diamond (Track 7) is basically the same except the last 50 meters at the bottom before the westgate and Cressy (track 13) is still a 2 way track. There is also Bolder Run (Track 9) near the shelter shed that is a chance to climb with some technical obstacles. All these trails are designed and built to IMBA standards as 2 way trails and are rated accordingly. If everyone follows the “IMBA Rules of the Trail” XC and DH riders can both easily share the trails."

What a load of crap. You have some obvious issues in your comments whoever you are. The big issue I have is IF PEOPLE follow IMBA rules. They don't, and don't try and tell me they do(yes I know some do). I was climbing 13 up to stockyards on Friday when confronted with a rider in a full face heading straight for me and he wasn't going to stop. No choice but to get off the track. If you build tracks that obviously geared for going DH on ie berms and a ridiculous amount of jumps you need to deal with the fact that that track/s will be targeted by DH orientated riders. I wouldn't even attempt to ride up those tracks on a WE. Now I enjoy riding down 13 as well but to have that as a 2 way track is stupid and someone is going to get hurt.

Sits back and waits for barrage of disagreement.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Care is needed

I dont need to know the IMBA Bible of riding to know that common sense should prevail - on any trail - going up or down. The trails can be built to any standard on the planet but care needs to be taken climbing Cressy - always has. For me l am happy to take the road up or climb Lactic or the other one near there (dont know its name) with the linking trail to Lactic.
The climbing rider has the right of way but why would you risk it for someone coming down Cressy? Yes it can be climbed but it is so fast coming down I personally like to stay out of the way. You will always have people who do not take care, give way, run a red light, open a car door or ride beyond their control.
What a load of crap. You have some obvious issues in your comments whoever you are. - that is alittle rash don't you think Sidetrack. I believe the author is part of the trail crew @ Youies, l think they would know as they built the trails.
If you are not comfortable climbing those trails because of the heavy/fast descending traffic then take the road with me. By all accounts it was a wild and crazy opening weekend. I am heading out this Sunday. Tell me, can l still park over at the pump track car park and ride over to Stockyards?
Cheers
JD