zee vs guide rsc

jarrod839

Banned
This thread pushed me over the edge in ordering Hope E4s, $350 for the pair on Merlin with braided hoses. I had been thinking about it for a while and I'm looking for a change from XT M8000. From all of the love Hope gets constantly on every forum, I need to experience it for myself. Now just got to locate a sram match maker.

I do love saints although thought that's possibly a little overkill on what is a 125mm travel trail bike.
i really hate this forum sometimes too. Not meant to be spending coin at the moment but was about to buy guide ultimate levers but instead pulled the pin on a full hope V4 setup today from CRC.

freeriding

Likes Dirt
JTmofo

can you make a comparison of guides and e4?
did you use them for a long time? are they similar in feel and operation (modulation, instant stopping power etc)? what about brake fade and consistency?

i decided to pull the trigger on one of these 2. (shimanos go out of the way)

PS. can i find guide rs or rsc levers (only levers) to fit them with my code calipers? (this way i save money and also have a nice set, used by many pros)

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i really hate this forum sometimes too. Not meant to be spending coin at the moment but was about to buy guide ultimate levers but instead pulled the pin on a full hope V4 setup today from CRC.
You made the right decision. What is money anyway?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thanks JT, it's reviews like this that can't be ignored. Hearing from someone who has tried and liked RSCs and still prefers Hopes makes me want to try them. Does the bite point adjustment work as well as the RSCs? Have you ever taken them on any real brake burner runs (super steep 500 - 1000m descents) to test fade? If I was in Sydney I'd take you up on your offer of a pedal.
It definitely works, unlike the shimano version. I can't answer in relation to guides, but have used older codes and elixirs with similar adjustments. The hopes seem to work as well, but don't have as much range. But it is by microns. Adjusting the BPC also brings the lever in towards the bar slightly.

You mean take a grinder / dremel to it and move the caliper down a bit, but having the pads sticking out the top is better than the bottom, as they will pulse as they grab on the arms of the rotor
Ummm...no I mean some spacers. Look at the rotor again. I have never noticed any feedback in the brake. A few friends have ridden it as well and the only brake feedback i get is wringing about the angle I like my levers on and how pure sex the brakes feel. Once a long time ago I was getting some strange vibes from the brakes on trail. The rotor bowls had come loose! Fortunately my multi tool has a t25.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
It definitely works, unlike the shimano version. I can't answer in relation to guides, but have used older codes and elixirs with similar adjustments. The hopes seem to work as well, but don't have as much range. But it is by microns. Adjusting the BPC also brings the lever in towards the bar slightly.

Ummm...no I mean some spacers. Look at the rotor again. I have never noticed any feedback in the brake. A few friends have ridden it as well and the only brake feedback i get is wringing about the angle I like my levers on and how pure sex the brakes feel. Once a long time ago I was getting some strange vibes from the brakes on trail. The rotor bowls had come loose! Fortunately my multi tool has a t25.
When you set the rear up like this, no wonder it comes loose

Nautonier

Eats Squid
PS. can i find guide rs or rsc levers (only levers) to fit them with my code callipers? (this way i save money and also have a nice set, used by many pros)
This is a combination I'd also like to try, which could be as good or better than the Hopes (there must be a reason so many EWS riders are running it - other than sponsorship). The RSC callipers are excellent, but possibly not quite as powerful as Codes. I also think Codes may hold up better on really long steep descents where you typically tend to feel fade in just about any brake.

I've mentioned this before in a thread about brakes, but my bench mark test run for brakes is "Slippery Jacks" in NZ, which goes from Coronet Peak down to Arrowtown. I've done this run on RSCs, Saints and XTs and all of them suffered massive brake fade at the end of the prolonged steep section once I got to the saddle. Long shot, but if anyone has done this run (at a reasonable pace) on Hopes and can confirm no brake fade then I'm definitively sold.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
That descent sounds difficult to say the least.

Fundamentally, every MTB disc brake might suffer down there...don't forget, a brake is nothing more than an energy converter (kinetic to heat), unless you fit bigger/thicker discs with larger pads & bigger calipers (all for heat management) the result will likely be the same.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
That descent sounds difficult to say the least.

Fundamentally, every MTB disc brake might suffer down there...don't forget, a brake is nothing more than an energy converter (kinetic to heat), unless you fit bigger/thicker discs with larger pads & bigger calipers (all for heat management) the result will likely be the same.

skinnybeans

Likes Dirt
Wow had a look on merlin today and they are sold out of the e4 rear unbraided hose.

Rotorburners causing a shortage in the market!

Chalk me up as another person interested in hope brakes after all the buzz on here...

Question, if forced to get braided hoses, is there any reason to not just go for the v4s instead?

pricing seems to be:
e4 + mounts + rotors = $480
v4 + mounts + rotors = $513

zee + mounts + rotors = $400

DJR

Likes Dirt
FWIW i'm happy with the performance of my Guide R brakes on my glory with 203mm/180mm F+R centerline rotors. I have shimano XTs on the trail bike and they're noticeably more on/off than the guides, the guides you have a great range of modulation and I haven't suffered any brake fade yet on standard DH descents of 3-4 mins.

Love the feeling they give. The Guide RS/RSC i'm sure has more power again. Maybe I don't ride the DH bike enough to notice any issues with them, can't complain for the price I picked them up for. After i sold the DB5's it came with (they were OK but not 4 piston) the F+R set only cost me about $50-60 to change over.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
pink pup said:
If i hold my tongue just the right way i can see a bees dick of rotor above the pads, i was looking at the wear marks on the rotor which extend all the way to the top