Zerode DH Bike 2011

fairy1

Banned
No.
Because it is big and wide and not made to be light.
They used the carbon to make it stronger, not lighter.
Seen Mick's crash form Windham (spelling?) last season? The only thing damaged on the bike was a rim.
All good though, you seem to be getting a bit worked up over this... I am happy to continue to argue but we don't need to keep this thread off track.
Nah I don't really care, I just thnk that fast riders should have carbon and steel and aluminium alloy should be left for people like me. If people can afford to rock 8k bikes at a sport level good for them, my skill holds me back, not my bike.

indica

Serial flasher
Nah I don't really care, I just thnk that fast riders should have carbon and steel and aluminium alloy should be left for people like me. If people can afford to rock 8k bikes at a sport level good for them, my skill holds me back, not my bike.
Fair call, I only bought it cos I got the run out for 5.5 and I love the i drive - the bike just happened to be carbon...
If you are ever in Vic you are welcome to take it for a bash.

fairy1

Banned
Fair call, I only bought it cos I got the run out for 5.5 and I love the i drive - the bike just happened to be carbon...
If you are ever in Vic you are welcome to take it for a bash.
Ha ha yeah that was sort of a stab at me too, I blew 8k on my first DH build and ended up with a heap of shit, now I'm on a 2nd hand Niclolai and I don't even look for relacement bikes/frames, it is sooo good it's not funny.

Back to the Zerode.

simplesimon76

Likes Dirt
Ha ha yeah that was sort of a stab at me too, I blew 8k on my first DH build and ended up with a heap of shit, now I'm on a 2nd hand Niclolai and I don't even look for relacement bikes/frames, it is sooo good it's not funny.

Back to the Zerode.
The Nicolai do a gear box too, but their bikes don't look anywhere near as good as the Zerode, have attached a link if your interested.

http://www.nicolai.net/82-1-Nucleon+AM.html#tab

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know there are a few of these getting around the traps now, I got to do the traditional test-of-champions today on a work mate's bike. Fortunately carparks in north vancouver are large and have lots of stairs. I've ridden a lot of bikes and prototype (Knolly, Santa Cruz v10c and driver and rocky mtn flatline 69er) frames over the years so here is my official parking lot test ride thoughts...

1. PLUUUUUUUSH.
2. for a size Large it felt short in the top tube (compared to my 951, which is shorter than a V10). Not cramped by any means but definately shorter.
3. Alfine gears shift in the opposite direction to a regular derailier setup, something to get used to. go ride any commuter bike to see what the shifting feels like... not super snappy but quick enough.
4. square edge hits dont even slow this bike down, once i realised this i started plowing at speed into a small set of 2 steps. It may well have been a ramp as it was so smooth! There definately is something to be said for a rearward wheel path (yeti 303, new devinci wilson).
5. Keep your weight centered and it corners hard and low.

I'd love to ride some trails on it but since he's only ridden it once I dont think that happen yet! He has made a shock cover out of some pvc water pipe and lucky he did as he bashed it on a rock mid-ride.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I have resuscitated this thread because I just read that shimano is releasing a Alfine DI2 11 speed.

If this is compatible with the Zerode....... electronic shifting on a gearbox DH bike. Futuristic!

Pic is from http://www.bikerumor.com/

Display-600x400.jpg

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
On the money. Alfine inboard. Centralizes weight, reduces unsprung weight, making suspension more active and tunable. God I hope the new Alfine's as good as a Rohloff, or at least close.
Chain going up to hub/pivot isolates suspension from pedal forces and vica versa.
Chain also goes up to gearbox because this is where main pivot point is.

With the high pivot point wheelbase lengthens considerably on upward travel, Rear wheel goes back as it goes up.

This is ideal for a smoother ride over rough stuff and simply not possible without a super long cage dérailleur.

Sexy looking bike.

Shoryuken

Likes Dirt
Has anyone noticed that the rear shock piggy back sticks out of the frame, ready to taken out by a rock or a log?

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
This is ideal for a smoother ride over rough stuff and simply not possible without a super long cage derailleur.
Or an idler like Balfa BB7s, Brooklyn Race Link SR8, older Trek(can't recall model name, Canefields, Corseair, and many many more non gearbox high or Virtual high pivot bikes. It's more to relief the effects of chain growth/pedal kickback/Mega anti squat.

Has anyone noticed that the rear shock piggy back sticks out of the frame, ready to taken out by a rock or a log?
Frames come with a replaceable carbon guard, and probably stocked with Cane Creek Double Barrels now that have a higher piggy back and only just pop out from frame(still can run guard). I'll try post a pick of mine tomorrow. Or look in Post You Ride.

Ivan

Eats Squid
The new frames come with a CF shock guard.

It would be bloody hard to hit that spot with a rock or log anyway.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes, I mentioned it in my post above from whenever the hell that was (a year ago??) as the owner of the bike had a home made protector but now there is a factory carbon guard if i'm not mistaken. It only really need to deflect stones and the like.

On a side note, I was thinking about how you could run an xtr rapid rise shifter instead of the chunky alfine thing.... using said 9spd xtr, shift into 2nd gear, connect cable to hub that is in 1st gear- adjust as normal - ride away with a 9spd xtr shifter controlling your 8 spd hub, BANG!

actually, its rapid rise, so it would be reverse (ie 8th gear not 2nd) of that, innit?

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I've still not got around to trying different shifters. Apparently the cable pull is different. If ever I change my cable(only reason to have shifter off)I'll try the shifter on a 8 and 9 speed derailleur/cassette to see how different it pulls.

I've still not got around to trying different shifters. Apparently the cable pull is different. If ever I change my cable(only reason to have shifter off)I'll try the shifter on a 8 and 9 speed derailleur/cassette to see how different it pulls.
You can't run another shifter. The Alfine shifter pulls for the hub.
You put a regular shifter on it will change the gears out of alignment and quickly ruin your gearhub.
It is a very precise shift and needs to be. I liken the Alfine shifter more like pushing an analog button than shifting a lever.
It's not a bad feeling shifter. You shift perfect every time. You can down shift with the back of your thumb.

All you don't get is the click people are used to and that's because it's doing something complelty different to what your used to. Big difference is being able to drop gears in large lots.