Zipp 3zero Moto wheel

moorey

call me Mia
And that wouldn't have happened on alloy? Lots of Love xx
It might have, obviously, but you wouldn’t be as gutted.
TBH, the only people I know running them are ZIPP sponsored, so they are less worried than I would be about smashing one (or paying for a set)
I don’t break alloy, and spend less on a complete bike than they cost, so clearly I’m not their target audience.
Go nuts, I say. You’ll definitely love them :D. Placebo effect is real.

moorey

call me Mia
Okay. What context? Where? On what? Or have you already made your mind up and this is this just going to descend into another "pros don't run coil shocks" argument because if it is it's a nice day and I CBF
Derby. Ews round. Not a particularly bad looking case onto a rock.
Pro’s don’t run coil? Dang, I missed that shit fight.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I said, without market speak!
They rock back and forth (laterally) around the spoke nips. There used to be an excellent slo-mo vid of them getting pounded down a really rough rock section on the product website and you could actually see the rims rocking back and forth. How spoke/nipple longevity would fare had me interested/puzzled...

This graphic is a bit exaggerated but show the jist:

I think they would work as advertised, but wouldn't bother buying them unless I was taking up riding DH. Are you riding so hard you're pinch-flatting DD or DH casings currently @DMan? If your riding is more general trail riding/EXO/EXO+ casings, the Moto 3Zeros add ~100gr over a similarly strong carbon rim for minimal benefit (IMO).

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
They rock back and forth (laterally) around the spoke nips. There used to be an excellent slo-mo vid of them getting pounded down a really rough rock section on the product website and you could actually see the rims rocking back and forth. How spoke/nipple longevity would fare had me interested/puzzled...

This graphic is a bit exaggerated but show the jist:

I think they would work as advertised, but wouldn't bother buying them unless I was taking up riding DH. Are you riding so hard you're pinch-flatting DD or DH casings currently @DMan? If your riding is more general trail riding/EXO/EXO+ casings, the Moto 3Zeros add ~100gr over a similarly strong carbon rim for minimal benefit (IMO).
I'd like to say yes, but more general hard trail riding and only EXO. But we are very rocky, low traction here and pinch flatting is always a potential issue. I run an ARD presently. I hear you but I'm not fretting over 100g and I still wouldn't find a carbon wheel for the same price anywhere.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
It might have, obviously, but you wouldn’t be as gutted.
TBH, the only people I know running them are ZIPP sponsored, so they are less worried than I would be about smashing one (or paying for a set)
I don’t break alloy, and spend less on a complete bike than they cost, so clearly I’m not their target audience.
Go nuts, I say. You’ll definitely love them :D. Placebo effect is real.
I'd be gutted if I cracked anything. I'm gutted when I open an egg carton I bought and realise I've missed that one of the eggs is cracked... :(

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At the price of $685 I'd take the Zipp experiment over a Hope Fortus at $599 (MTB Direct) - Just saw Hope is $450 on Wiggle

I think a lot of people overlook compliance, my bike has a Mavic front wheel and a Hope rear wheel.
I believe I can feel a significant difference between the way they feel/track/ride and it is not in favour of the Hope wheel.
I like Hope hubs for their longevity, but find their wheels too harsh - I know they are built to last as first priority.

There has been plenty of vids with Troy Brosnan talking about spoke tension to assist with traction and wheel tracking.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I like Hope hubs for their longevity, but find their wheels too harsh - I know as they are built to last as first priority.
I agree with this. Mainly Stans rims, but I do have one set with Hope DH rims. Prefer the Stans for everyday use (imagined or not). Felix only rides the Hope DH, but as you say, it’s about longevity on his bikes.