LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

Cygolites

What do people think of the Cygolight brand? no particualr model... just the brand
Lavalife Junkie - I have a DualCross 300, and for the price it's been a good light for me - I'll only do 3 or 4 night races/year, and no 24's. The customer service from them has been very good, quick responses by email to any enquiries. Had to buy a 240V charging unit from them, I bought mine in the US with 110V unit, not sure if that has changed.
They do have a local distributor now, and PhantomCycles sells them, including spares.
I had been running the DualCross on the handlebar mount, with a DiNotte 3W on my helmet, was ok for Yarramundi in the Sydney 12hr, but struggled at Gravity 12hr. Cygolite have now released a helmet mount for the DualCross and their newer lights, so I ordered one from Phantom (got the part # from the distributor). I ran with the DualCross on my helmet at the WSTMB twlight, and I found it a lot better.

For the riding I do my Cygolite is good value for $$, and their repsonsiveness to queries and support has been very good.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cool Shrekmeister,

They are nice aren't they?
Do they match the colours of your bike?

we do a singlespeed night ride around manly dam most wednesday's 7:30pm

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
Cool Shrekmeister,

They are nice aren't they?
Do they match the colours of your bike?

we do a singlespeed night ride around manly dam most wednesday's 7:30pm

yer i went for black...neutral colour but the bike is red, black and white...so it will match well ... :D:D:D

manly....hhmm will have to see if i can make it sometimes, from base camp of the shire :cool:

thepotatokid

Likes Dirt
new head light

after a recent enduro down here in tassie, and having my poor little 12w halogen headlight outshone by bright new LEDs and HIDs, I am thinking of taking the plunge and getting a new headlight.

i have been thinking of getting one of three options:
Light and Motion Stella 180 LED
DiNotte 200L LED
Niteflux HID ARC 1.0
I'd be using this light as a headlight, and put my 12w halogen on the bars.

Can anyone shine any light (pardon the pun:p) or share any opinions/experience on what these lights are like?

F

fishboy2807

i have been thinking of getting one of three options:
Light and Motion Stella 180 LED
DiNotte 200L LED
Niteflux HID ARC 1.0
I'd be using this light as a headlight, and put my 12w halogen on the bars.

Can anyone shine any light (pardon the pun:p) or share any opinions/experience on what these lights are like?
Don't know about the L&M or the Dinotte, but while you are looking about, I'd suggest you add the Niteflux Photon Max LED to your shortlist. I have this light and it's really bright with good burn times. I reckon it's substantially brighter than my HID, and the colour of the light seems warmer (not so blue-white like HID) which feels easier to ride by.
http://www.niteflux.com/Products_photonMax.htm
worth a look.

chrisp2087

Likes Dirt
What do you guys think of these lights?

I'm looking at doing a bit of night riding, probably nothing singletracky & hard, just something to keep me sane after work during winter
http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/NPLIHNNKK
or
http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/NPLIHNNEX

The charge time isn't really an issue for me & I'm not looking at 24hr / night races or anything (yet) what do you think for the price, am I barking up the wrong tree (or will I be slamming into them)

Cheers

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmmm

I bought a budget set of lights once. They lasted me 12 months before I completely got the irrits with them and upgraded to AYUPS.

Wish I'd bought them in the first place, would have saved a coupla hundred bucks.

If you've got the $$, get something decent to begin with.

That's my $0.02

ETSX

Likes Dirt
Want to buy cheap lights, buy some of the luxeon III's from Ay up they are old stock that they are getting rid of for $45 each, no battery's though. They run off 7.2V I have brought 2 sets of my wife and run them off my 14.4V battery's I have for the vicious just ran them in series. She has to have both on but they work well ver bright for a $90 light.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
here's the hot tip when buying ayups: if you're getting 2 of different grades (as most people do, wide plus inter/narrow) then get them in 2 different colours. that way you can tell without turning them on which one is which. pow.

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
here's the hot tip when buying ayups: if you're getting 2 of different grades (as most people do, wide plus inter/narrow) then get them in 2 different colours. that way you can tell without turning them on which one is which. pow.

geez...now you tell us....could have done that two weeks ago..... :p:p

oh well...have written it down and its in the pocket of the light bag...

DaGonz

Eats Squid
geez...now you tell us....could have done that two weeks ago..... :p:p
Heh... if you're only thinking of that now, you might like to put coloured tape and numbers on all your batteries lest put your freshly charged battery back on the charger before heading out for another lap.

*shrug*

Cheers
Gonz

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
Heh... if you're only thinking of that now, you might like to put coloured tape and numbers on all your batteries lest put your freshly charged battery back on the charger before heading out for another lap.

*shrug*

Cheers
Gonz

novice no idea like me looks to other's for words's of advice and wisdom...

not a issue to number batteries's at this stage...

only running one six hour on the bike, and two three hour's for the helmet, then charging whilst snoozing....

DaGonz

Eats Squid
not a issue to number batteries's at this stage...

only running one six hour on the bike, and two three hour's for the helmet, then charging whilst snoozing....
So just slap a bit of coloured tape on one of the two identical 3hr batteries. Trust me the conversation will go something like this:

"Have you swapped the batteries yet?"

"no...."

"which one is it?"

"the one on the table."

"they're both on the table... "

"ummm......"

...Half an hour later you'll be plunged into relative darkness and the most inappropriate time. Up to you though. The idea is there...

Cheers
Gonz

rossB

Cannon Fodder
I just bought a set of AYUP lights, they are an awesome good value system, I went with Medium and Intermediate, I don't know what others have gotten, but this just didn't seem to be quite enough for off-road riding.

The Intermediate beam doesn't seem to have quite enough throw off road when helmet mounted, especially for fast track, even when combined with the Medium on bars, so i think the best bet for these lights is to get an Intermediate for the bars and a Narrow for the helmet.

What are others thoughts?

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
I just bought a set of AYUP lights, they are an awesome good value system, I went with Medium and Intermediate, I don't know what others have gotten, but this just didn't seem to be quite enough for off-road riding.

The Intermediate beam doesn't seem to have quite enough throw off road when helmet mounted, especially for fast track, even when combined with the Medium on bars, so i think the best bet for these lights is to get an Intermediate for the bars and a Narrow for the helmet.

What are others thoughts?

i followed Dreggsy's advice... :eek::eek::eek:

and went with Medium on the bars, and intermediate on the helmet....whilst its only been a coupla rides...really love the set up so far.....

mushroom

Likes Dirt
I've recently purchased ayups and I went with narrow for the helmet and intermediate for the bars. I based my decision on the beamshot i I liked best.
http://www.ayup.com.au/gallery-beamshots.html

I'm very happy with this combination and I the only reason not to go for a narrow light for the helmet is if you never ride fast, open trails at night.

Also, it is pretty easy to tell the lights apart by looking at the lenses.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i followed Dreggsy's advice... :eek::eek::eek:
arrrghhh....

I tried the Medium / intermediate this will be great at Mt Majura
This was great for trails like Manly dam, oxford falls.
Then I swapped the medium for a narrow.
This was only because of the long descents /long fire-road at the Stromlo 24hr.