LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

STS01

Likes Dirt
After reading your's and a few other threads ive decided to go down the DIY path. Most people seem to be having a fair bit of succes so thought it was worth a shot and cant go wrong for the price versus buying a setup.

Will be making something very similar to yours, starting with 2 sets for the helmet, one for me and the other for my girl and see how they go. If they work out well may make 2 set for the bars later on and try some different optics.

Would you recommend those 7.2v battery packs and smart charger are the way to go for power?

Parts i have ordered so far:

4x CREE XR-E R2 bin (WH tint)
2x Ledil CREE XR-E CRS-M 14 degree square optics
2x Ledil CREE XR-E CRS-D 9 degree square optics
2x 3021 BuckPuck 1000ma drivers

Anyone got some ideas on where i can get some reasonable universal helmet mounts from?

Still havent quite worked out what im gonna mount the Led's in yet but will probally use some 25mm square bits of aluminum tubing or a pre made aluminum case from somewhere.
You need to provide 3.7v to each LED plus about a volt for the driver so If you're intending to make doubles you'll need 9.6v batteries, triples will need 12v (but preferably 14.4).

As for the optics, I think mediums (CRS-M) are too diffuse. The CRS-D (diffuser) is perfect for a 'spread' beam while the 'smooth spot' is a good spot beam. To give you an idea, I run 2 diffusers on the bars and one smooth spot and one diffuser on my helmet. Running 2 smooth spots on the helmet would be OK if you like a more focussed beam.

Last edited:

spiderpig

Likes Dirt
Sounds like i should be going for the 9.6v pack to power the twins. I suppose its pretty easy to play around a bit with the optics.

Any ideas on where to get some cheap universal helmet mounts from? Velcro seems like it would go ok but wouldnt mind something a bit more solid.

Emu1

Likes Bikes
I used a pvc 50 x 75mm stormwater adaptor. Cut it down to give you a U shaped bracket that fits over your twin 25mm al tube. I put a couple of bits of rubber door draft seal on the bottom to stop it from slipping. The bracket bolts onto the light body and is secured to the helmet with velcro. There are a couple of DIY light sights that use a similar design, sorry don't have the links handy. Total cost about $5 in materials and about 20 mins.

Lumen8r-LED upgrade

Hi All,
The lumen8r-led now comes with Cree XRE R2 leds.
LED Calculations

Triple Cree XRE Q5 at 1000ma
Min 107 x 2.25 x 3 x 0.92 = 664.47
Max 114 x 2.25 x 3 x 0.92 = 707.94

Triple Cree XRE R2 at 1000ma
Min 114 x 2.25 x 3 x 0.92 = 707.94
Max 121 x 2.25 x 3 x 0.92 = 751.41

Hopefully being released in Late June. :D
Upgrades may be made available closer to launch date. (battery, charger, led board and optic required)
Quad Cree XRE R2 at 1000ma
Min 114 x 2.25 x 4 x 0.92 = 943.92
Max 121 x 2.25 x 4 x 0.92 = 1001.88

Explanation.
Cree XRE R2 LED generates 114-121 Lumens.
The LED lumen output is not linear and slightly decreases as the current increases thus 2.25@1000ma not 2.86.
Multiply by the number of LEDs
0.92 is the efficiency of the optic. (92% transmission)

So the calculations shown below are inaccurate and are not real world.

Daniel
HIDTechnologies

Hey all

From the data sheets from Cree and SSC the relative outputs would be:

Lumen8r LED - 3 x Cree Q5 - 3 x 228lm @1000ma Total of 684 Lm
Nightlightning - 3 x SSC P4 - 4 x 240lm @ 10000ma Total of 720 Lm
Ayup - 4 x Cree Q5 - 4 x 140 @ 500ma Total of 560 Lm

I have just brought the Lumen8r and am waiting for delivery. the reasons I used to decide were that you cant adjust the angle on the nightlightning unit so it has to sit well on top of your head. Also the Lumen has been designed to be upgraded later, Cree have already released a R2 LED (270lm) and have other releases planed... It seemed to me that there is likley to be a nice upgrade path for this unit above the auyps. I have not seen any info on new releases fron SSC. I know Nightlightning are making a 4Led system and a dual 3 led system but the money and weight didnt stack up.

Any thoughts?

Tom Foolery

Likes Bikes
So is anyone using the HID Lumen8r and want to share a review with me? Tossing up between that and the Cygolite TridenX.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
So is anyone using the HID Lumen8r and want to share a review with me? Tossing up between that and the Cygolite TridenX.
This was my initial review:

http://forums.farkin.net/showpost.php?p=1147697&postcount=243

since then I've been running the updated unit (mainly on the bars) and think they're great. The switch has a great positive feel to it and the unit itself throws out a pretty decent beam. I don't have the latest triple unit with the new optics which apparently throws a much better beam again. Between the beam strength, battery life, the level of factory support that HID Technologies has provided and the overall finish of the product, I was more than happy to splash out for the quad unit which will hopefully be available shortly. Surprisingly, it's also one of the few products out there with a recharge time less than burn time, and important feature for a 24hr racer :eek: Mostly due to burn times, I've finally decided to supercede my Vicious HID with one.

Comparing to other units, pretty much a dominant unit in terms of burn time and brightness, and definitely over the AYUP units I tested (I think both units have been upgrade now). The Lupines were perhaps a better product, but were also twice the readies...

Bar mount is a bit clumsy ( I wrap a section of inner tube around my bars then strap the unit on lengthways. other options including mounting on the stem but didn't work for me due to angles and race plates. With 31.8 bars, I tend to have problems with clamps staying put anyway ), but the helmet mount is fine...

If you have any other questions let me know. If my quad unit arrives before I head off to Canada, I'll try and post some pics up...

HTH

Cheers
Gonz

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
What's the latest on lights?

Not a single reply in this thread in 2010?

So what's the latest news on bike lights. I'm specifically looking for helmet mounted for night bush riding.

Any suggestions?

(I'll be combining with my cygolight bar mounted.)

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Friend got a K-Lite with the warm LED's. Doesn't look anywhere near as bright as my Ay-Ups. If getting one, go the cool LED.
I prefer the warm. It spreads the beam a bit more so it doesn't give that super white washed out spot that leaves you night blind in your peripheral vision like some other lights

Eval

Squid
Exposure MaxxD mk3

Have just purchased the MaxxD and am very impressed so far.
Pros:
very broad even spread of light
1200 lumen
Really cool quick release bar mount - stays in place and is rock solid
Uk build quality, machining, fit and finish
3+ hr run time on hi beam
No cables!
330g total weight you don't even notice it is on the bars

Cons:
too bright for commuting......even on low beam
Long recharge time

Would I recommend this light? Yes! Given that it uses 4xCree xpg's I was expecting a little more throw to the beam. My last set of lights were a hombrew twin Cree xre getup. They looked horrible but threw a good long beam. However I seemed to be always tinkering and soldering and fiddling with batteries and chargers -reliability was always an issue as well. For a replacement I wanted a top end light set that would light the tracks yet still not have to auction off my left aggot in order to finance my night riding.
The MaxxD is strictly for the bars. At 110g and 900 lumen I am going to buy the Exposure Diablo for the helmet.......and then I shall own the night!

Delmar

Likes Dirt
The MaxxD is strictly for the bars. At 110g and 900 lumen I am going to buy the Exposure Diablo for the helmet.......and then I shall own the night!
I have just this combo- a few races in and it's very very good. I agree with your comments except the throw. You must have high standards to not be happy with it!!

I love the no cables bit, but in reality for most enduro's you'll have to get a small piggy back batt for the diablo (only 1.15 for me on high).

But yes, hard to fault the quality feel, very happy here.