Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

bowzaa

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I could work out a build cost so far mate, but i'm not real keen on doing so:p.
All i can say is i've still got enough left over to make me not be crying at its costs.
I must note though that its a hell of a lot easier to justify it to myself now that its rego'd, rwc and insured and i can drive it whenever. When its a super exxy paperweight as your only car, its a bit hard to handle lol.

That all said, would definately do it/will definately do it differently next time. It's not just about the end result, but the way in which you get there, besides i need something to pass the time, seriously!:)

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I could work out a build cost so far mate, but i'm not real keen on doing so:p.
All i can say is i've still got enough left over to make me not be crying at its costs.
I must note though that its a hell of a lot easier to justify it to myself now that its rego'd, rwc and insured and i can drive it whenever. When its a super exxy paperweight as your only car, its a bit hard to handle lol.

That all said, would definately do it/will definately do it differently next time. It's not just about the end result, but the way in which you get there, besides i need something to pass the time, seriously!:)
Yer was just interested as I have to do things on a budget, and I would love to do a similar thing minus the turbo.

And on a similar note if I buy a cad18det 180sx will it be not overly expensive to take the turbo off, I known a lot of thing have to be adjusted, but I can do that at tafe with the help of my teacher, but parts wise would it only be new extractors?

bowzaa

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yer was just interested as I have to do things on a budget, and I would love to do a similar thing minus the turbo.

And on a similar note if I buy a cad18det 180sx will it be not overly expensive to take the turbo off, I known a lot of thing have to be adjusted, but I can do that at tafe with the help of my teacher, but parts wise would it only be new extractors?
Don't do it. If you can't drive a turbo car, then just buy a car that is n/a to start with. There's a whole lot more to it than just taking the turbo off it.
Biggest thing is even if you get it all off and setup, your going to have a less powerful car than an original n/a as the turbo setups run lower compression.

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't do it. If you can't drive a turbo car, then just buy a car that is n/a to start with. There's a whole lot more to it than just taking the turbo off it.
Biggest thing is even if you get it all off and setup, your going to have a less powerful car than an original n/a as the turbo setups run lower compression.
Ok Was just wondering, as it is nearly impossible to find a silvia with a manual N/A.
MIght just be patient and keep trying to find a 300zx.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Nice one bowzaaa, good progress mate. 5 stud is definitely the go for easy wheel setup, but there are a surprising amount of multifits getting around now.

Ok Was just wondering, as it is nearly impossible to find a silvia with a manual N/A.
MIght just be patient and keep trying to find a 300zx.
Go the Z!

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Damn, you just answered the question I was about to ask. Carsales isn't being too helpful in finding me an N/A Silvia either.

GOD12A

Likes Dirt
Neat...
Love it :)
Although, black windows would be my only personal touch.

I worked with a 32GTR a few years back that was similarly neat and tidy, he came to me asking to detail his engine bay to win car shows and stuff... The car was too nice to "bling up", so i threw him a few ideas on what i wanted to do and tidied up the engine bay for him, some metal polishing, some custom bits and braided hose, bit of rewiring to hide stuff; just real neat, nothing nuts. He didnt wanna take it to a small show at Eastern Creek, so i paid for his entry, from there he got two magazine shoots and ran out of my business cards (i supplied a few handfuls) in the first few hours!!
You dont need mega bling to impress the right people ;)

On that note, i did another car (13bt datto 1000 coupe), did the simplest and probably cheapest enginebay tidy up ever, and he got a magazine shoot first cruise out of the garage!! A few cans of VHT matt black paint, some stainless steel bolts and clamps, some braided hose. Thats it. Dont even think i polished anything for him!!

Sorry for long stories, but simple and neat can be as effective as full bling "to the right crowd" ;)

Mark :D

fairy1

Banned
32 is very nice indded, if it were mine it would have had gunmetal grey wheel centers and possibly paint the louvres(grill) in black or gunmetal.

Project mini starts in the next two weeks, first a comple custom made floor dropped by 15-20mm so the seating position is lower and to give more foot room at the pedals. This will be a huge job and I'm not sure if I am going to use the original tunnel or re do the whole thing.

After that is do a coilover conversion in the rear, this involves cutting out half of the wheel arches and fabricating new bigger ones that are also welded to the side body panels for added stiffness. I am also making a rear strut brace that will bolt to the strut tops and the roof and still allow me to fit the bike in the back.

That's all the plans for now, after that is done I'll plan the next stage, getting it enginneered as a PCV (personally constructed vehicle) not a Mini.

Jordy

RYD4LF
Is that the one for sale?

How much do you want?

yea its for sale. I just swapped my ute for it because iw as tired of tyre kickers who had no clue about minitrucks wanting to buy the ute. it was only going to bring me back problems. This will be easier to sell.

I put it up on Boostcruising at a starting price of $7000. dont expect that much.

it is a 5 speed ecotec. Dumbass paid $5500 for the paint less than 12 months ago.

On a side note. as soon as this goes the money is being put into my drag ute.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
32 is very nice indded, if it were mine it would have had gunmetal grey wheel centers and possibly paint the louvres(grill) in black or gunmetal.
The Mini plans sound awesome man. Tried to get those wheels in gunmetal but there was only 2 in the country, so went with the gold/bronze.

I'm thinking we should start getting into work done and how you feel about the results, overall impressions on cars, mistakes you've made, things you would have done differently.

This car is really starting to make sense to me now. I'd always loved them, but didn't think they were the best option and saw ATTESA as a real party pooper. Wroooong. Driving around in RWD is stupid, it's hard to make rapid forward progress, and coming out of a corner hard is a little tricky - you end up holding back and trying to ride a razors edge as it gets near 300rwp at 5k. Stressful and slow.

Put the fuse back in for 4WD, and it's party time. Watch the torque gauge get active while accelerating in 4th and be glad the shitbox isn't torching up at that sort of speed. Coming out of corners with the throttle pretty much mashed and get a bit of oversteer, followed by hauling of arse. Lets you use much more of the cars potential, at higher speeds, be quicker overall, easier, safer. Digging it.