Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah ok cool, just had a look on the Bilstein website and it doesn't look like they make setups for S13's, bit of a shame, but I'd have to investigate that more.

According to Wiki, the CA18DE version of the S13 has about 98kW, which would be a bit lower after being so old, but that's still a usable amount of power.

Thanks slip, you've given me much to consider.

Anyone know of any good forums around? I've found nissansilvia, that's about all.

new guy

Likes Dirt
Wow, didn't see that coming.

slip - Would an S13 still be good for doing mountain rings/thrashing about even though it hasn't got much power? I've never driven one and don't really know anyone who owns one either! Or what about something like an NA R32/33? I'd probably be looking at putting in some coilovers (HSD or something along those lines) getting polyurethane bushes put in throughout, strut braces, high temp pads and slotted rotors and stuff like that for a start.
sorry had to be said

Drew.

Eats Squid
One of the best setup cars I've driven (and the fact that it just sold for $12.5k is testament to this) is a non turbo 33 coupe.
Full Bilstein / Whiteline setup (all bushes/swaybars/strut braces)
Turbo brakes (good pads/rotors/braided lines/fluid)
GTR exhaust
Decent wheels + tyres.

Same goes for S13 really. That 33 was awesome, beautifully setup with great balance and feel, with the basics done well - it was a joy to drive. The fact that S13 NA have bugger all power isn't a problem, makes you a smoother/better driver anyway.

If you want overall quality for a road car, go Bilsteins over a HSD setup. D2/HSD if you want something lower and stiffer that will slide the arse easily, but sacrifice grip/speed/damping quality. Quality of suspension > stiffness. My car is so much better since pissing off the low/stiff Ohlins (the cheap jap ones).
Paul, have you had any experiences with R34s?
Just I notice so many more people go with r33's, is it purely price? or is there something that puts people off them?

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Drew - Well it sure isn't the looks.

33 is a bargain now, but 34s have come down quite a bit. You get the Neo engine in the GT-T which has 206kw, and a much better looking car. The quality of brake/suspension setup would make much more difference between a 33 and 34 than any inherent differences. 34 GT-T with the basics is a very nice package, and starting out with a 206kw motor does help, as is doesn't take much to wake the thing up.

new guy - shhhhh.

Sean - There's a lot of stuff out there for S13, but that means a lot of research needs to be done as well. You can even buy old stuffed coilovers and have them rebuilt with good internals to suit your application, many options apart from Bilsteins. Tein has been coming out with some better damped products recently too.

Arete - Prefer FWD over RWD or just able to enjoy/appreciate? 206 and 225kw Megane have both impressed me recently.

Drew.

Eats Squid
Drew - Well it sure isn't the looks.

33 is a bargain now, but 34s have come down quite a bit. You get the Neo engine in the GT-T which has 206kw, and a much better looking car. The quality of brake/suspension setup would make much more difference between a 33 and 34 than any inherent differences. 34 GT-T with the basics is a very nice package, and starting out with a 206kw motor does help, as is doesn't take much to wake the thing up.
Oh i see; i'm still looking for something non-turbo'd, you can go ahead and tell me that's 206kw non-turbo. :p Options are swaying, gone a bit off the libertys, purely because of price, double that of what a skyline would cost me. confusing shit.

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
Speaking of awesome FWD cars......my dad has a new VR Lancer, and shit it goes hard....

And aswell as that it goes round corners amazingly.....rally heritage......but on the HWY overtakin B-Doubles.....no problem.....180-200km/h easy

If anyone has driven one hard they will know whay i'm on about!!!

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Oh i see; i'm still looking for something non-turbo'd, you can go ahead and tell me that's 206kw non-turbo. :p Options are swaying, gone a bit off the libertys, purely because of price, double that of what a skyline would cost me. confusing shit.
You know they come in non turbo as well.

bowzaa

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You know they come in non turbo as well.
Non-turbo doesn't make 206kw though:p.
Drew, have a look through the prices of skylines on carsales. 33's are so much cheaper than 32's it's not funny(at least in vic this is the case, although that was partly due to the older p-platers being allowed to drive 20det's and not 25det's.)

Got my rwc today, all going well this time tomorrow i'll be able to post some pictures and drive it around legally!

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Non-turbo doesn't make 206kw though:p.
Drew, have a look through the prices of skylines on carsales. 33's are so much cheaper than 32's it's not funny(at least in vic this is the case, although that was partly due to the older p-platers being allowed to drive 20det's and not 25det's.)

Got my rwc today, all going well this time tomorrow i'll be able to post some pictures and drive it around legally!
Cool, nice work Matt. Mine's off to a slowish start (mainly because I blew my money on some silly things) and no where near where I would like it to be. Order I wish to achieve a few things in coilovers+strut brace > tie rods + steering arms > wheels. Not overly worried about engine mods at the moment. Really concerntrating on handling at the moment. But christ I'd love to beat a few of the commondores that get around my joint. I never see them on the windy road I have to drive to work everyday though, funny that.

floody

Wheel size expert
One of the best setup cars I've driven (and the fact that it just sold for $12.5k is testament to this) is a non turbo 33 coupe.
Full Bilstein / Whiteline setup (all bushes/swaybars/strut braces)
Turbo brakes (good pads/rotors/braided lines/fluid)
GTR exhaust
Decent wheels + tyres.

Same goes for S13 really. That 33 was awesome, beautifully setup with great balance and feel, with the basics done well - it was a joy to drive. The fact that S13 NA have bugger all power isn't a problem, makes you a smoother/better driver anyway.

If you want overall quality for a road car, go Bilsteins over a HSD setup. D2/HSD if you want something lower and stiffer that will slide the arse easily, but sacrifice grip/speed/damping quality. Quality of suspension > stiffness. My car is so much better since pissing off the low/stiff Ohlins (the cheap jap ones).
LOL what kind of stooge pays $12.5k for NA R33... I honestly can't see how even the quoted mods make a $5k car worth $12.5k.

An NA S13 could be VERY easily be made to be a lot of fun. Bilstein certainly do S13 suspension, summitracing stocks B6 shocks to suit, quite cheap too; but certain aussie distributors won't love the idea that you can buy at full retail from overseas for 50% of the local price for the same item...so you need to do all your own homework yourself and buy the bits and pieces to make it all work.
But I'd just choose some decent value coilovers without ridiculous rates, say some ISCs or HSDs with 8/6kg or 6/4kg springs. D2 aren't even in the ballpark of those brands, btw, total crap, same for G4. We're talking a world better than stock, if not house of sydneykid overpriced bilsteins brilliant. Coilovers, 4 pot skyline brakes, some 17x9ish rims with low offsets, decent LSD and a decent seat would do the job.

Might have just bought a series 3 R31 wagon...deal's not sealed yet. But 5 speed, stock, white etc.

Last edited:

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
LOL what kind of stooge pays $12.5k for NA R33... I honestly can't see how even the quoted mods make a $5k car worth $12.5k..
Young P plater, no idea, rich dad. Good combination it turns out.

Nice work on the wagon. What is the status of your coupe at the moment?

floody

Wheel size expert
Ahh I see, yeah thats the only conditions I could imagine such a deal taking place under, lol.

Coupe now drives, getting it out and about a little, but still need to finish bodywork, do heater core, and tune properly. But its on the road.
Wagon is just a bit spur of the moment because its ridiculously cheap. Also has a straight bonnet, good virgin front bumper skin which will make their way onto the coupe most likely, with the slightly shabby items off the coupe going onto the wagon...

Lorday

Eats Squid
...gotta lower it! Get it tucking. Only way to do so is a overloaded car (full of mates), and multiple case of beer.

bowzaa

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Finally, i can add some more pictures to this thread of mine rather than talking all the time:eek:!
6 weeks from this:

1x s13 shell, no motor, no box, no rego, no lots of things lol.

To this:

1x 1992 s13 (with sunroof!), with 12 months rego on the roads!

Please excuse the ride height. I was doing the before and after shots and when i was done it was dark. Pictures tomorrow of how it sits.

Current spec list is:
-sr20det blacktop, approx. 80xxxkms although that means shit all in imports. Compression test was good though so thats what matters.
-5 speed box out of a 180sx
-brand new excedy heavy duty cushion button clutch.
-lsd(needs shimming) out of a 180sx.
-racing logic coilovers 10/8kg spring rates with camber tops.
-Volk wheels. 16x7, no idea of offset, something shitty like +37 from memory. Running 225/50 all round atm, will be going narrower (205/50).
-r32 4 pot brakes with rotors redrilled for 4stud.
-exhaust on it is stock, have a hks sitting in the shed. 3.5in catback although may just get a custom 3in made to tuck it higher, will fit hks tomorrow though!

Issues ahead:
-Lights don't match as you may notice. Will be going square j's headlights asap. Probs gtr grille to match.
-Rear bumper is a different colour. Its not as noticeable in real life as it is in photos!
-Stock seats will be removed to make way for buckets as my head hits the roof currently, due to sunroof models having a 40mm lower rooflining than non.
-front strut brace.
-needs cd player.
-good cut and polish.
-guards lipped asap. Wanted to go lower but guards were the issue.
-Exhaust routing. An interesting one. As it sits at present, cat is lowest point off the ground at 89mm. However, tire is 2 fingers out of guard which is fail in my books. If i stay smaller wheels, a kit will have to balance this out (aero all the way!)

Future plans!
-Cooler wheels to come, 17x8.5/9.5 would be nice but something around that. Will probably go 5 stud to make it easier as 4 stud struggle to clear the width of 32 calipers. (Note, wouldn't reccomend the brake upgrade to 4 stud for anyone, this is approx the 10th set of wheels i tried before we found a winner).
-Power mods (no hurry, this is plenty for me atm.)
-Neatening up interior (lots of zipties/cracked/unglued plastics)
-Possibly a respray.

So in short(well not so short!), my 6th car(in 25 months!)
Thanks to all those that helped with questions of mine. Hope the read is interesting for some:)
Cheers
Matt