Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

GOD12A

Likes Dirt
Heya FAIRY!!

Whoever tells you their rotor spins to 13k is full of shit. It can be done, i have seen it but for the average punter, its out of our league. 13k rpm rotors are for top end race cars. I spent alot of time and money on my motor and take it to 10500rpm on a regular basis, but to find the extra 2500rpm is a big (expensive!!) ask :)

LORDAY
Built by the previously mentioned workshops, agree. Built by someone who isnt a complete idiot, theyll last well into six figures. If my old factory motor can do a quarter of a million miles and still do burnouts with two cracked apex seals, im sure a decent engine builder working on one NON mass produced motor can do just as good as Mazda did ;)

Mark :)

Mr Sheen

Likes Dirt
Iv dried my tears.:) I do understand your point though because I have seen both sides of it. Like any industry you get all sorts. Its just unfortunate that the good ones get lumped in with the bad ones in most general public's opinions.

And to some extent I do claim to know a little about performance but only for my own use and interest as that stuff isn't what pays the bills. ( my bills any way. ) The only reason I didn't pursue engineering was that I prefer the more hands on side. At least if I do find the time for further study in the future Ill have a better mechanical background than someone who's read the books but never got there hands dirty.

Last edited:

fairy1

Banned
Don't the lobes spin at a different speed to the output shaft?

A cousin of a workmate had an old Moffat kitted RX7 which looked nuts but sadly went through a brick wall a few years ago.

GOD12A

Likes Dirt
The only reason I didn't pursue engineering was that I prefer the more hands on side. At least if I do find the time for further study in the future Ill have a better mechanical background than someone who's read the books but never got there hands dirty.
I agree!! Ive spent 10yrs in the manufacturing game and am currently waiting for a reply from an Italian uni for a position in an Automotive Engineering degree course ;)

FAIRY :)
The rotors spin at a different speed to the output (eccentric) shaft. We never measure the rotor speed, only output speed.

Mark :)

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree!! Ive spent 10yrs in the manufacturing game and am currently waiting for a reply from an Italian uni for a position in an Automotive Engineering degree course ;)
Do any unis in Australia do that course? I would be very interested in doing something similar.

Mr Sheen

Likes Dirt
Yeah they do. Also you can do it a tafe. Tafe obviously dosnt give any were near the qualifications of the uni degree but for people in the industry who want a greater understanding it could be good. Im pretty sure it covers some of the first year uni subjects too meaning if you do uni later you dont have to do the first 6 months of the course.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
**Photos!! Everyone has a camera phone. You get bodgey work done by X workshop, DO NOT pick the car up, take a few pics and walk away (just tell them your towie is busy or you havent got the money together yet). As soon as you pick the car up, the work is assumed to be accepted by the customer. On the picture tip, forums are a GREAT way to express your feelings for a workshop, good and bad. If a workshop does a great job, PLEASE tell everyone and get some work for them, if they screw you, tell everyone and lose them as much work as possible. Pics can help you do either of these. Ive put one guy in Qld out of business by posting 2 vids on youtube/forums of a "new" diff i got built that had the backlash of a taxi and the leaf spring mounts that looked like they had been welded on my a crackhead monkey while waterskiing.

i belive in everything you said, except for this. ... that is bullshit.

a shop owner isnt always the shop worker... he wants his workers to work well, he expects they do, and im sure most check over the work at the end, but things get missed when the dodgy bong head 15 year old year 9 drop out mechanic gets told to do something.
i find you are MUCH better to sit down, have a talk to the person in charge, if they refuse to fix the problems and still make you pay for the dodgy workman ship, then go for it, flame the fuck out of them .. but really.... where is the need to as soon as you see a problem, not to tell the fuckin workshop owner, and straight away get on a forum and go OMGGZZZZZZZZZ FUCKSICKK CHOPPED BURNOUT SHOP PUT ONE OF MY TIRES ON THE WRONG WAY!!!!!! WHAT FUCKIN DICK HEADSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS DONT SHOP THERE.

i see it all the time with everything, one person has a bad epxeprience with xyz shop, and tells everyone how shit it is, next tting you know 5 kids from a forum, are now talkin about it on another forum sayin how shit this shop is, but not about a tire, they are now makin up stories of that they bleed their brakes with old fluid or somthing.... and next thing you know everyone thinks this shop is shit, from personal experience... when really it was one little mistake....

/rant

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some cool projects on here...

My next purchase will be a front clip of a '08 Mk5 GT TDi which will be retro ftted to my Mk3. Gota get the gearbox out of a Caddy which is seeming hard to find. Going to run the latest Motec Common Rail ECU (Different from an M8 Pro)

mtb1611

Seymour
i belive in everything you said, except for this. ... that is bullshit.

a shop owner isnt always the shop worker... he wants his workers to work well, he expects they do, and im sure most check over the work at the end, but things get missed when the dodgy bong head 15 year old year 9 drop out mechanic gets told to do something.
i find you are MUCH better to sit down, have a talk to the person in charge, if they refuse to fix the problems and still make you pay for the dodgy workman ship, then go for it, flame the fuck out of them .. but really.... where is the need to as soon as you see a problem, not to tell the fuckin workshop owner, and straight away get on a forum and go ......
The shop owner IS the shop worker; if he is ignorant enough to hire an incompetent employee and ignorant enough to be oblivious to the shoddy work they are performing, he is liable for all mistakes and poor workmanship. The money paid by customers to the owner for services rendered goes into the bank account of the owner, therefore the onus is on him/her to ensure that the customer receives value for money, irrespective of the business and the cash amount.

I do however agree wholeheartedly with your stance regarding addressing the issue on a one-to-one basis with the owner prior to a public flaming; to do otherwise is a gutless approach. But to absolve the owner of any responsibility for poor workmanship performed by his employees is incorrect. Last year I had several parts of my car resprayed. Several months later the paint began to flake off the plastic components; the smash repair shop owner refused to accept liability, saying he had sacked the worker who performed the job due to incompetence on a number of jobs. I argued the point with him on numerous occasions until I got my way; ultimately the work was performed at HIS business, so he was liable for repairs irrespective of the measures he had taken to ensure such shodiness was not repeated.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
The shop owner IS the shop worker; if he is ignorant enough to hire an incompetent employee and ignorant enough to be oblivious to the shoddy work they are performing, he is liable for all mistakes and poor workmanship. The money paid by customers to the owner for services rendered goes into the bank account of the owner, therefore the onus is on him/her to ensure that the customer receives value for money, irrespective of the business and the cash amount.

I do however agree wholeheartedly with your stance regarding addressing the issue on a one-to-one basis with the owner prior to a public flaming; to do otherwise is a gutless approach. But to absolve the owner of any responsibility for poor workmanship performed by his employees is incorrect. Last year I had several parts of my car resprayed. Several months later the paint began to flake off the plastic components; the smash repair shop owner refused to accept liability, saying he had sacked the worker who performed the job due to incompetence on a number of jobs. I argued the point with him on numerous occasions until I got my way; ultimately the work was performed at HIS business, so he was liable for repairs irrespective of the measures he had taken to ensure such shodiness was not repeated.
i think you took it out of context for the first part, what i meant was, just as he owns the business, doesnt mean that he did the work on your car, or bike or what ever.

He should believe in his employee's but humans are humans, and not everyone can always do the right thing, mistakes can be made.
which lead me to my next point of, he is the shop owner, and he is responsible for his workers, if his workers F-up, he should wear the blame, and rectify the problem.

But with the attitude of, take a photo, and post it on the web straight away, tell everyone not to go there, the shop owner has no chance to make the wrong right, as he may not even be aware of the issue....

any way that was what i was tryin to get at, in a little bit easier terms.

mtb1611

Seymour
i think you took it out of context for the first part, what i meant was, just as he owns the business, doesnt mean that he did the work on your car, or bike or what ever.

He should believe in his employee's but humans are humans, and not everyone can always do the right thing, mistakes can be made.
which lead me to my next point of, he is the shop owner, and he is responsible for his workers, if his workers F-up, he should wear the blame, and rectify the problem.

But with the attitude of, take a photo, and post it on the web straight away, tell everyone not to go there, the shop owner has no chance to make the wrong right, as he may not even be aware of the issue....

any way that was what i was tryin to get at, in a little bit easier terms.

One-off mistakes, although irritating for the paying customer, are a fact of life; as you've said, we're all human and we all get it wrong from time to time - no argument there.

In terms of your stance regarding taking a pic and posting it immediately without having discussed the matter, I've already agreed with you on that count, it's a dog act IMO.

Seems like we may be on the same page after all ;)

Last edited:

Drew.

Eats Squid
Had a lot of fun at work today; Workmate brought in his pintara with a ca20 motor in it worked pretty hard but there was something wrong with it he couldnt find (plus the whole car was a bomb), he was wrecking it so he just brought it out; Anyway, massive circular dirt surface with piles of dirt everywhere, makes for a wicked drift course. Front wheel drive, tightened up the handbrake and let loose ahaha. Blew the radiator cap off and ran it like 30 minutes with no water in it, eventually blew the engine, so.....I got in the 26 tonne excavator I operatate and turned it into a cube.:p Constructive day at the office.

If anyone's interested i'm selling some 20" vault crystal rims with good tires. contact me if your interested.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Some cool projects on here...

My next purchase will be a front clip of a '08 Mk5 GT TDi which will be retro ftted to my Mk3. Gota get the gearbox out of a Caddy which is seeming hard to find. Going to run the latest Motec Common Rail ECU (Different from an M8 Pro)
Very cool idea man. Going to be really interesting to see diesel performance come onto the scene in a few years. Seen those V10 Tuaregs launch from the lights and thoroughly embarrass/surprise people. Diesels have been dominating Le Mans in recent times as well, so it'll be good to see that filter down to road cars (hopefully).

wombat

Lives in a hole
Very cool idea man. Going to be really interesting to see diesel performance come onto the scene in a few years. Seen those V10 Tuaregs launch from the lights and thoroughly embarrass/surprise people. Diesels have been dominating Le Mans in recent times as well, so it'll be good to see that filter down to road cars (hopefully).
I don't know about you northerners, but around here at the moment diesel seems to be 5c/L cheaper than povo unleaded. When did that happen?

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dad uses a chipped Toureg to tow the racecar...

I hate to say this but it seems diesels is the racing of the future. When my dad went to the ring last easter to compete he ran a TDI and Diesel Prod was the biggest class there.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Hey guys

I'm looking to get my motorbike license before the new rules kick in next year... I'm looking on ebay for any bargains that pop up that are decent learners/LAMS approved bikes. Any suggestions? I'm really just looking at naked bikes, as I've been discouraged to purchase a fairing bike as my first bike for several reasons (insurance, cheaper to purchase, I will drop it etc.). My budget is very small, i.e. < $2,000, at most. Preferably looking for a bargain up to or around $1,000. I'd love something that needs a little bit of TLC, especially in terms of paintwork, little things missing etc. I'd prefer to have something that's pretty good mechanically though.So far I've been looking at Honda Spada's (VT250's) and VTR250's, as they have been recommended time and time again as unbeatable learners bikes. Although, I've recently been told that the earlier model VTR's weren't all that reliable. Not sure of details here, but it came from a pretty reliable source (Head contractor / mechanic for Australia Post in Newcastle - The whole family is bike mad)

I wouldn't mind getting more opinions though.
What else? Comments? Got something to sell me? :)

Last edited: