Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

floody

Wheel size expert
Haha, what I tell you about the ATTESA Paul? It sure isn't like driving a Subaru or old Mitsu awd etc.
So good how they let you have just enough loss of traction to get a nice attitude then grip and go.

Having evil thoughts about low boost RB30E+T setup when the wagon deal goes through...Set of R31 RB20DET injectors (exact same item as VL turbo but without the tax), VL manifold, turbo, dump pipe, Darkhalf chipped ecu (VL Turbo maps with timing altered, in R31 ECU so no issues with running the fuel pump etc) and generic front mount cooler would do it...

Last edited:

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Heading to Bris shortly, would be dope to spot the old girl somewhere. Fat chance though.

As far as importing goods goes, who's done it?

I've been looking into a set/pair of wheels and perhaps some other items on yahoo japan auctions (through monster imports website). Naturally the range and availability over there flogs what's avaliable locally but organising/arranging payment and shipping from a foreign language speaking country can be a real arse around. So if I were to go for an import option I would no doubt be using some sort of an importer.

Import Monster and Jesse Streeter are the two most talked about importers I've heard of. Has anyone had dealings with any of these guys?

I've pose the same questions on a different forum and from what I can gather Import Monster is efficent with great customer service and very good on keeping the customer up to date throughout the process but their mark-up is a bit wild. Streeter on the other hand has little mark-up, an Aussie Importer who lives in Japan, provides an awesome service but contact between customer and him can be infrequent at times.

I could go to one of the importers on the coast but once again mark up can be an issue and realistically there's no choice in stock and you've got to buy quickly in order to not miss out.

floody

Wheel size expert
I've imported a couple of sets of wheels, some model kits and other stuff through Jesse Streeter, he has been a consummate professional and very reasonable in his rate, prompt and efficient.

I have not used importmonster (except as a auction browsing shortcut, lol..) but its certainly a simple process and by all testimony they are great to deal with. However...they seem to mark up EVERYTHING so you do pay for the privilege. But you can use a credit card etc etc.

Theres benefits both ways, if you know well ahead, have the money ready to go, Streeter is undoubtebly the cheaper option. But then he may not be able to do big items like engines and large bodykit pieces, not sure.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Mark, good to hear from someone who's actually used him - not just heresay like 'Streeter is the man, yo!'. Definitiely looking into it.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Haha, what I tell you about the ATTESA Paul? It sure isn't like driving a Subaru or old Mitsu awd etc.

Having evil thoughts about low boost RB30E+T setup when the wagon deal goes through...
Yeah, you were right on the money (again). All that time/effort/money could be going towards the coupe though. I reckon you'll like having an RB30E in the garage, especially if there's boost leaks/turbo issues etc with the coupe. Something simple and tough you can rely on.

Heading to Bris shortly, would be dope to spot the old girl somewhere. Fat chance though.

As far as importing goods goes, who's done it?
I'll ask around about the importers for you. When/why you heading to Bris, and who's the old girl?

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll ask around about the importers for you. When/why you heading to Bris, and who's the old girl?
Thanks mate. Brother's joint, catch up with an old mate and good ol' shin dig, now and your 32 is the old girl :p

floody

Wheel size expert
Yeah definitely need to finish coupe too, for sure thats priority one. Actually the wagon should furnish a nice straight bonnet (mine has a small crease in it from previous owner) and fresh front bumper skin (mine has a hole rubbed through a corner, again from previous owner, found it when the paint flaked off and the pink bog fell out...). I'll put the slightly tattier items off the coupe back onto the wagon.

That said, the wagon would sure be punchy with 8psi or so in it, lol.

$h0rty

Likes Dirt
Import Monster and Jesse Streeter are the two most talked about importers I've heard of. Has anyone had dealings with any of these guys?
I've used IM a few times (rims, grill, headlights, etc). As said very easy to use, you're kept up to date with whats going on. Their markup can be a bit steep but I guess they've gotta make money somehow.

I'd happily use them again.

floody

Wheel size expert
Their biggest markup is on internal Japanese freight, can be up to three times what it would normally cost.

fairy1

Banned
I'll ask a young guy at work aboul importers, pretty sure he imorted some 2nd hand rims for his Ceffy drift pig.

fairy1

Banned
Nah, he's just a tool with a Ceffy.
A guy at work wrote Jew Drifting in the soot on his bumper, name seems to have stuck, lil drifters love it.
Christ it's an ugly car though, 150ish kw atw, Apexi coils, R32 front brakes(i think) goes OK, handles OK, just looks like a rolling abortion.

Drew.

Eats Squid
This, plus Paul's GTR, plus this UK Pug 306 forum I found when searching for how to remove the gear knob in my car (not a simple screw-on) = naughty thoughts.
I envy you and your non-vehicle restrictions.
Need to sell my ute, means i gotta clean it. :(

off to do an oil change.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nah, he's just a tool with a Ceffy.
A guy at work wrote Jew Drifting in the soot on his bumper, name seems to have stuck, lil drifters love it.
Christ it's an ugly car though, 150ish kw atw, Apexi coils, R32 front brakes(i think) goes OK, handles OK, just looks like a rolling abortion.
Yeah, I'm obviously a fan of the Ceffy's. Admitidely they are just a japanese taxi but I think they are such a fantastic vehicle. Perfect mid sized slide mobile.

fairy1

Banned
Yeah, I'm obviously a fan of the Ceffy's. Admitidely they are just a japanese taxi but I think they are such a fantastic vehicle. Perfect mid sized slide mobile.
Parts don't seem to be cheap though. Oh yeah it's an sr20 so there is a stupid amount of room in the engine bay.

GOD12A

Likes Dirt
I'm thinking we should start getting into work done and how you feel about the results, overall impressions on cars, mistakes you've made, things you would have done differently.
How do i obtain my own sub-forum for this discussion??
heheheee

I built my RX3 from the ground up, i did everything MY way. Even with stuff i couldnt do myself (paint/full rewire/engine assembly), i told the guys with the experience how i wanted it done. It taught me so much. Example, i used Glasurit paint coz its the standard paint on most european supercars and has a lifetime warranty; i used mil-spec connectors on the wiring harness coz if the military can trust them, so can i; the engine was machined by me but assembled by an engineer in NZ whom i trusted. Id love to do it again with more money and with the experiences learnt thus far!! (20B TT pearl white Ford Capri next time...)

Some things to remember:
**Mechanics are idiots. DO NOT trust them. They work on cars for a living, just like most of us dont really care for ours jobs, neither do they. A mechanic with an interest is usually better, but it can also be more dangerous!! Most workshop owners you trust are glorified mechanics with a touch of salesmanship.
One thing i tell EVERYONE... Engineers build racecars, mechanics dont.

**When you get an opinion on ANYTHING (exhaust size, primary extractor lengths/diameters, intake runner design, ECU tuning, clutch plate selection etc etc etc) ALWAYS ask WHY?? If they dont give you a straight answer to reinforce their suggestion, they dont know what they are talking about... neeeeext... Everyone has an opinion, most are fabricated from magazines and what their favourite workshop owner tries to sell them. Very few have been thought through as much as youd like.

**Get a written quote, no matter how much of a mate they are, just get them to write it on the back of a business card, itll save your ass more than once, i guarantee feeling like a prick for that 10sec will save you thousands. If they dont ring you before exceeding that quoted price, they are in the wrong.

**Become good friends with a towie and have atleast 3 saved in your phone, coz you know atleast 2 of them wont pick your ass up at 1am monday morning when youve busted a tailshaft halfway up a mountain pass doing 8000rpm reclutches on semislicks for fun!! hahahaaa

**In NSW, we have the "Department of Consumer Affairs", you will have spare forms laying around your room by the time youve finished your build. They are there to help, and man they work well ;) Businesses dont want a black mark against their name and the DCA can do that, very easily.

**Photos!! Everyone has a camera phone. You get bodgey work done by X workshop, DO NOT pick the car up, take a few pics and walk away (just tell them your towie is busy or you havent got the money together yet). As soon as you pick the car up, the work is assumed to be accepted by the customer. On the picture tip, forums are a GREAT way to express your feelings for a workshop, good and bad. If a workshop does a great job, PLEASE tell everyone and get some work for them, if they screw you, tell everyone and lose them as much work as possible. Pics can help you do either of these. Ive put one guy in Qld out of business by posting 2 vids on youtube/forums of a "new" diff i got built that had the backlash of a taxi and the leaf spring mounts that looked like they had been welded on my a crackhead monkey while waterskiing.

**Forums are your friend, but you do have to wade thru the "schoolkid engineers". Nearly every mod you intend to do will have been done once before. Just ask for others experience (and WHY!!)...

**Before you start a big build, write a list of EVERY part you want, im talking right down to thermo fans, fuel pump brackets, injectors, clutch, brake pads etc etc THEN DOUBLE IT (no seriously, double it). Its the small stuff that adds up so fast, is isnt funny. My $15k/3month budget base build (to start the modification process) turned into a $50k++ (i dont even think God himself knows how much that fucking thing has cost me...) and 7yrs in the build. But i did the entire build in one hit and researched EVERY part on that car instead of gradually modifying it like my original plan. Either way the car turned out the same and very rarely does the smile disappear while im behind the wheel :)

NOW, for the final and most important of all tips from GOD12A.
Draw a line in the sand of what you want your build to achieve. Then build to that, NEVER move that line in the sand. I see it all the time and it kills me. Guys that start off building a fun streeter, that turns into a streeter/weekender, then it gets some stupid big laggy turbo or mega stally, then tubs and full cage, then all of a sudden you have a $80k drag car you cant drive on the street and your driving a white VB commodore with 600,000 kms on the clock so you can afford to pay for the racecar...
Example, since Yr9 at school i wanted an off chops bridgeport RX3. I didnt complete the build till i was 26, but i built the car i wanted as a schoolkid and never lost sight of my original goal. On the flipside, ive got mates streetcars that have turned into undrivable showcars, drag cars or dyno queens and get out six times a year?!?! They all regret it eventually. Ive seen it happen a bazillion times (and yes i have overseen a bazillion builds in my time!!), trust me, draw a line in the sand and stick to it.
Perfect example... Mate had a 450rwhp RX3, went well, handled good, and was a great streeter. Got bored, dropped in a 640rwhp 20B, cage and minitubs. He cant cruise it on the street, it doesnt handle for shit and its a cop magnet. Its now been sold... The car he gradually modified over 15yrs, sold within 2yrs, coz the line in the sand moved...

Wow, anything else?? i could talk cars all night, someone jus gimme a subject!! hahahaa
Sorry for the thread hijack... *crawls back into dark cave*

Mark :)

Mr Sheen

Likes Dirt
Some things to remember:
**Mechanics are idiots. DO NOT trust them. They work on cars for a living, just like most of us dont really care for ours jobs, neither do they. A mechanic with an interest is usually better, but it can also be more dangerous!! Most workshop owners you trust are glorified mechanics with a touch of salesmanship.
One thing i tell EVERYONE... Engineers build racecars, mechanics dont.

Not afraid to to stereo type i see. Yes some are , just as there are morons in all professions. ( yes i am a mechanic , as are many of my friends)

GOD12A

Likes Dirt
You and your mates are idiots...

Hahahahaaa Jokes :)
Do you claim to know about ECUs, turbocharging, vehicle dynamics, exhaust tuning, the effects of resonance within an airbox etc etc etc
Most mechanics in performance workshops will tell you everything about everything, with no knowledge what so ever... Sure most mechanics can fix a car, but no where in your trade do you learn about ECU mapping, let alone how an ECU system thinks.

No offence to any tradies, i should have narrowed it down to the majority of performance workshop mechanics who think they know stuff. They are entertaining at the least...
Sorry SHEEN, no offence intended man ;)

Last edited:

fairy1

Banned
Wow God thanks for that, top read.

Quick question, when someone says my rotor spins to 13000rpm it is only the output shaft doing that speed isn't it? Sorry I don't know much about rotors.

And yeah I do believe the price it and double it part, I am looking at 12-13k for my Mini engine and box and I already have lots of the parts. I can't wait 140hp and a 5spd dog box, gives me a power to weight as good as any HSV.

If anyone wants an engine spec list let me know.