The 29er thread.

Big apples are remarkably good....

...for general riding with a bit of dirt thrown in.

I got some 2.35 29er Big Apples (liteskin version) and took them on my usual dirt trails and for general XC MTBing they were quite good.

They are not nobbies so I could feel a bit of sliding but man they roll fast. You can't throw them in a leaning corner, but if you want a general tyre for a bit of everything they are great.

I ran 15lbs front and 20lbs rear on the rough stuff for some comfort with Kris Holm rims on my rigid Karate Monkey and on my Waltworks.

Good luck

Rob

Hey Sumgy.

Yes, mostly I do use the bike for now in an urban setting, trying to get fitter etc. But by urban whilst I mean pavement I also mean grass, dirt, curbs, footpaths etc as well as I cross parks, council land, any where I can go really. On harder surfaces I find the Karmas feel very sluggish unless you pump them up a bit.

How do you think the maxxis combo you (and many others!) are suggesting would go in my urban environ? I think in particular the ignitors might be bumpy and slowish. Plus I am a bit concerned about grip if I ride across wet paths etc.

Thx

Schwing, Very nice Kotzur...

I have been thinking of getting Wayne to make me a 29er for a while, never got past the an initial chat about modifying my Waltworks.

If it doesn't work out for you, I'd be interested,

Rob

thanks to BA for finalising some QC issues with the build......
This was almost 12 months in the planning, waiting and building -

Multipurpose 29er - fit for singletrack , touring , bikepacking

Basically Reynolds 853 - mainframe - 725 chain stays.

EBB to facilitate internally geared hub

V brake tabs to allow their usage should I feel like it - or have disc problems

Custom bent top tube, disc brake mounts on chainstays ( cable routing to be finalised) for racks

Broadleaf gecko motif

Combined Niner and Gunnar geometries for an off road touring feel.

Geometry adjusted for Reba 29er at 80mm

XT/SLX drive train

New wheelset to be built on Salsa rims and hope hubs -

Initial ride - exactly as I expected - like a higher 26incher with about 50mm travel

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32789456@N08/4228842733/in/set-72157622978768151/

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Big Apples are great commuters

Agree with above. I have a set of the them on my Salsa for commuting which also involves shortcuts on the odd bit of trail or park and they're great.
Very quick on the hard stuff and very grippy.
If I was really concerned about grip on a commuter, I'd probably go with Crows or Ravens but the Apples are cheaper, more readily available and have worked for me.

HamishS

Likes Dirt
Potentially the Halo range for commuting

Have been doing a bit of reading on a few forums ... and the Halo Twin Rail seems to get plenty of applause. Also offers a cheaper alternative to the Crow/Raven and even Big Apples.

Here are some I have found some on Wiggle though are commuting specific ... pretty sure your LBS could could get you the original version.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Halo_Twin_Rail_Multi_City_Tyre/5360042454/

Some more info here ...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=288434

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Have been doing a bit of reading on a few forums ... and the Halo Twin Rail seems to get plenty of applause. Also offers a cheaper alternative to the Crow/Raven and even Big Apples.
Havn't seen those before...they just look the shizzle! Must give them a go when my apples wear out.
I used to ride hookworms on my 26er for commuting.
I just wish they made a 29 version.

Jethrow

Likes Bikes
Havn't seen those before...they just look the shizzle! Must give them a go when my apples wear out.
I used to ride hookworms on my 26er for commuting.
I just wish they made a 29 version.
They look a lot like the new Supreme from Schwalbe !!
marathon_supreme1.jpg

Maybe they could be worth a try I wonder??

chumbox

Likes Bikes
Niner MCR Frame Price

Hey

Sorry to change topic for one sec but just hoping someone might have an idea of what a Niner MCR frame is worth in Australia now that DW has them?

Brill... alright back to Big Apples...:D

rushking

Likes Bikes
Hey

hoping someone might have an idea of what a Niner MCR frame is worth in Australia now that DW has them?
Black Sheep Imports quoted me $1450 in September 09 & I thought they were about the only supplier in Oz. I settled for importing a Voodoo Dambala for $350 AUD (about what they are worth) and spending the change on a fully sick wheelset & nice forks. Amazing the difference good wheels make: thought i'd buckle 29er wheels more easily

BTW how much are the MCR frames @ DW?

Last edited:

Yorto

Likes Dirt
Ghetto Tubeless

Finally gave in and done a ghetto tubeless set-up using this.
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-make-your-bike-ghetto-tubeless-217971/
Bought some glitter and latex and a small bottle of slime, added a bit of sand also. for the $45 it cost for all of that I made up enough for my old bike and the 29er and some spare left over that I made my garden look pretty hahaha. I still have enough to do another 4 tyres easy.

Only issue at the moment is the Kenda Karma's didnt seal properly and the new Maxxis Ignitors flick crap up to the bottom tube wth !!!! Just waiting on a Maxxis Crossmark for the rear and I will be done and dusted ! I am thinking of just going a full slime treatment when I get the rear re done.

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-make-your-bike-ghetto-tubeless-217971/
Bought some glitter and latex and a small bottle of slime, added a bit of sand also. for the $45 it cost for all of that I made up enough for my old bike and the 29er and some spare left over that I made my garden look pretty hahaha. I still have enough to do another 4 tyres easy.

Only issue at the moment is the Kenda Karma's didnt seal properly and the new Maxxis Ignitors flick crap up to the bottom tube wth !!!! Just waiting on a Maxxis Crossmark for the rear and I will be done and dusted ! I am thinking of just going a full slime treatment when I get the rear re done.
Don't bother, stick with Ghetto (latex diluted with windex) it's fine, cheap & reliable.

Yorto

Likes Dirt
Don't bother, stick with Ghetto (latex diluted with windex) it's fine, cheap & reliable.
Do you add the like of glitter and sand ? anything else that you would add ? The Latex I bought came with amonia already ! so no need for windex. When I first opened the latex I got a very strong smell of it and nearly fainted ;)

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Kenda Karma's are known for not working well tubeless.
For $45 you could have bought Stan's.
I dont understand the whole point of making your own tubeless mix.
I cannot see how it is cheaper given all the running around you would have to get the ingredients and then the time spent mixing it all up. :confused:

Me: got to LBS; buy Stans; come home; inject Stans into tyre, pump up with floor pump; go ride. ;)

Yorto

Likes Dirt
Kenda Karma's are known for not working well tubeless.
For $45 you could have bought Stan's.
I dont understand the whole point of making your own tubeless mix.
I cannot see how it is cheaper given all the running around you would have to get the ingredients and then the time spent mixing it all up. :confused:

Me: got to LBS; buy Stans; come home; inject Stans into tyre, pump up with floor pump; go ride. ;)
I would have gotten Stans but Maxxis have clearly said do not use in their tyres hence why I was thinking Slime. I bought 2 styles of glitter so could have saved $$$ there and the complete mixture left over I could make the same amount for the price of a stans pint ! All good though Sumgy because the running around was done on my lunch break at work the other day haha. The mixing process is add stir pour out. Much like stans state shake the bottle before use.

What tread you running with Stans ? The Kenda Karma was just a trial and error as the shop I had ordered the crossmarks for sent the wire bead not the foldable ones :(.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would have gotten Stans but Maxxis have clearly said do not use in their tyres hence why I was thinking Slime. I bought 2 styles of glitter so could have saved $$$ there and the complete mixture left over I could make the same amount for the price of a stans pint ! All good though Sumgy because the running around was done on my lunch break at work the other day haha. The mixing process is add stir pour out. Much like stans state shake the bottle before use.

What tread you running with Stans ? The Kenda Karma was just a trial and error as the shop I had ordered the crossmarks for sent the wire bead not the foldable ones :(.
Yorto
As far as I know there are no tyre companies who have sanctioned the use of Stans for their tyres.
They all say they will not be liable for injury or damage caused through running their tyres tubeless.
They would say the same about you putting glitter, sand and all that other crap in them.
I run Ignitors, Ardents and Crossmarks tubeless as well as I have run WTB Vulpines and Panaracer Rampages and SPecialized The Captains. All folding bead and with no failures whatsoever using Stans rims and sealant. I have also run Ghetto tubeless setup using Stans sealant and a 24" tube.

Yorto

Likes Dirt
Yorto
As far as I know there are no tyre companies who have sanctioned the use of Stans for their tyres.
They all say they will not be liable for injury or damage caused through running their tyres tubeless.
They would say the same about you putting glitter, sand and all that other crap in them.
I run Ignitors, Ardents and Crossmarks tubeless as well as I have run WTB Vulpines and Panaracer Rampages and SPecialized The Captains. All folding bead and with no failures whatsoever using Stans rims and sealant. I have also run Ghetto tubeless setup using Stans sealant and a 24" tube.
I think it might just be Maxxis covering there own ass hahaha.
http://www.notubes.com/support_tire.php

Sounds good mate. I just used a 26" with the longer presta valve. but might look into going schrader at a later stage if all goes well. The 20" tubes on the 26" fit perfect so I am guessing that the 24" would be spot on for the 29er but I couldn't find any with the presta valve.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think it might just be Maxxis covering there own ass hahaha.
http://www.notubes.com/support_tire.php

Sounds good mate. I just used a 26" with the longer presta valve. but might look into going schrader at a later stage if all goes well. The 20" tubes on the 26" fit perfect so I am guessing that the 24" would be spot on for the 29er but I couldn't find any with the presta valve.
Mine were Presta but I cannot remember the brand.
They are out there though.
There are even some with removable valve cores.

krisko

Likes Dirt
I always use latex as I beleive it works the best.
It seals quicker
it glues the bead to the rim, no tyre burping! even at very low pressures
Its cheap and you get 2 litres for the price of other mixes

1 litre $28
1 litre no name window cleaner $4
water free

This is the only mix I would trust with Kenda tyres, due to the gluing effect and the way tiny holes get plugged quickly.

Fom my experience Slime and the other green products are terrible you may as well put some gu in your tyres because it never dries/glues.

Jo's and Stans are too watery IMHO and although they work (Seal up etc) they dont give me the peace of mind that latex does

I wonder how caramel sauce would work? I bet the tyre would seal and it would double up in an emergency for a bit of extra carbs...

Yorto

Likes Dirt
Thanks dingy.

Krisco do you use any other material at all to assist in the process.

Caramel with 100s & 1000s ?? Ha