The 29er thread.

Bodin

GMBC
My resignation...

...from the 29er riders' club: http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?197084 & http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?114320

Most of you that have read any of my posts knew it was probably inevitable, but I was hanging on to it for as long as I could, because it's a bloody nice bike and I know I'm going to miss it, despite my misgivings.

I'm getting married in 10 weeks and having so many bikes in the garage (6) while I still need to pay for many things (like my ring, the honeymoon, the reception, etc, etc, etc...) means push has come to shove and I'm selling everything in my house and garage that isn't an absolute necessity. Hopefully I'll get a few duplicate wedding presents that have good resale value...

I think this bike will make somebody else very happy and I suspect I'll be knocking on the door of the 29er club again one day - it's been a lot of fun. In the meantime, I'll just live vicariously in your company via this thread. Cheers.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi mtb101. So aside from the punctures, how do you find the small block eights? I am considering a set to replace some Kenda Karma's, looking for more grip on the hardstuff.
well ... very fast light weight tyre (even better as tubeless!), corner beautifully on hard pack dirt, surprising fast on your typical trail/path surfaces. Weakness as I said is in lose rock, very prone to snake bite where tyre ends up with small hole, have already put 3 patches on inside of tyre. Now admittedly I don't back off in rough stuff and coming from a full suspension bike you tend to take the same lines and yes the 29er rolls over beautifully, but hit some rocky stuff and you're out of the race skag!

Bodin

GMBC
so you'll be bringing the new wif' out to the Simpson this year?

Elvis.
Baaa ah aha haa haha hah a *cough*

She worked as a tour guide in the Northern Territory for years in her youth and never wants to see another grain of sand again, unless it has the waters of some tropical sea lapping gently against it, with a 5 star luxury hotel a short walk away.

By the way, the wedding has also put a bit of a dampener on my SDCC2010 plans. If I manage to pay for 2 wedding rings, a wedding, a reception, a honeymoon and still have money in September/October for another jaunt in the desert, there'll be cops waiting for me in Birdsville with the arrest warrant for extreme tax evasion.

Hence... the garage sale on my big-wheeled bikes...

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yep, they are second cab of the rank at the moment, ebay has some better prices on new F29's, need to sell my 26 inch frame to fund the forks though. Anyone want an 853 Jamis dragon large frame??

Yorto

Likes Dirt
Hi mtb101. So aside from the punctures, how do you find the small block eights? I am considering a set to replace some Kenda Karma's, looking for more grip on the hardstuff.
Jethrow, have you decided on tyres yet ? I just ordered both Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 for the rear and Ignitors 2.1 for the front. Once I get them will most likely try to run them Ghetto tubeless with Slime sealant.

Jethrow

Likes Bikes
Jethrow, have you decided on tyres yet ? I just ordered both Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 for the rear and Ignitors 2.1 for the front. Once I get them will most likely try to run them Ghetto tubeless with Slime sealant.
Hey Yorto. Nah, still trying to decide really. Stuck between Schwalbe Big Apples and Kenda Small Block 8s. I have found with the Karma that are on the bike, if you put about 60 psi in them, they roll quite well really, so maybe I will go the Small Blocks. I do see however, that all the reviews talk (complain) about the small blocks having low grip in loose pack, but surely it must be better than the big apples?

Not sure I am brave enough for tubeless yet!

I do also like the look of the Crossmarks too - and it does get good reviews. Ahhh decisions, decisions - good stuff eh :)

Where will you buy your maxxis tyres from?

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey hey, i'm just a young-un at the 2-9 thang but the first thing I did when I aquired my XTC was to
put a Ignitor 2.1 on the front and a Crossmark 2.1 on the rear for grip and fast rolling, gave the
kenda's the old heave ho straight away;);)

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Yorto. Nah, still trying to decide really. Stuck between Schwalbe Big Apples and Kenda Small Block 8s. I have found with the Karma that are on the bike, if you put about 60 psi in them, they roll quite well really, so maybe I will go the Small Blocks. I do see however, that all the reviews talk (complain) about the small blocks having low grip in loose pack, but surely it must be better than the big apples?

Not sure I am brave enough for tubeless yet!

I do also like the look of the Crossmarks too - and it does get good reviews. Ahhh decisions, decisions - good stuff eh :)

Where will you buy your maxxis tyres from?
Jethrow
What are you planning to use these tyres for??
Big Apple's are basically pavement tyres so I would have to think that they will not be much chop in loose pack.
And why 60psi?? Are you only using them on bitumen and pavement?

I have no experience with Small Blocks but can vouch for the Crossmark back and Ignitor front combination as this is what I have used all last year.

Jethrow

Likes Bikes
Jethrow
What are you planning to use these tyres for??
Big Apple's are basically pavement tyres so I would have to think that they will not be much chop in loose pack.
And why 60psi?? Are you only using them on bitumen and pavement?

I have no experience with Small Blocks but can vouch for the Crossmark back and Ignitor front combination as this is what I have used all last year.
Hey Sumgy.

Yes, mostly I do use the bike for now in an urban setting, trying to get fitter etc. But by urban whilst I mean pavement I also mean grass, dirt, curbs, footpaths etc as well as I cross parks, council land, any where I can go really. On harder surfaces I find the Karmas feel very sluggish unless you pump them up a bit.

How do you think the maxxis combo you (and many others!) are suggesting would go in my urban environ? I think in particular the ignitors might be bumpy and slowish. Plus I am a bit concerned about grip if I ride across wet paths etc.

Thx

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would probably stick with something like the SB8 or maybe the WTB Vulpine.
I have raced on the Vulpine on hardpack where it held up very well.
I would think it would work well on pavement and bitumen too as it is a semi slick.

Loud

Squid
Learn Something Everyday

Jenson won't send fox products to Australia. Have to use a freight forwarding company.
I didn't know that! I got my F29 from the ebay store Wheels and Sprockets, but it was much more $$$ compared to the other brands Jensons have on sale.

I've never used a forwarding company before. www.myus.com looks like a reasonable forwarder if anyones interested.

Last edited: