2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
I know it is a long way off, the tent / shade things that are for hire (mentioned in a few previous posts) - what is likley to be the price for one of those? Not really needing the exact figure - or what did they cost last year... just looking for a guide to help me to plan for the race.

I think in Canmore it was either $150 Canadian or $150 US - US I'm pretty sure... Far cheaper ways of doing it now that it's in Aus and you don't have to fly O/S!
The marquees that will be for hire will be the Hoecker 3m x 3m ones - so these are much better that the standard pop-up, but they will also cost more. They will be being hired out as part of a package including a rectangular table, 3 chairs, power and lighting. Based on what it costs CORC to hire in this gear, I suspect the pricing will be about $380 to $400.

Other things you will be able to hire are:
. Rigid plastic flooring
. Gas heather + 2 cylinders
. a 240 to 110 step down transformer

You can BYO pop-up tent but it must fit in your 3x3 space, including any guy ropes.

But - a fire safety issue - if you BYO pop-up, you will not be allowed to have 240V power, 240V lighting or gas heating in your popup.

Riders will be able to group with other riders and share facilities. For example, 3 riders could ask to be located together in Solo Pit Row, they would get a 9x3 space and they might decide to hire one marquee and leave the other 2 spaces open, or use their own popups in them.

BigSplashBear

Likes Dirt
You can BYO pop-up tent but it must fit in your 3x3 space, including any guy ropes.

But - a fire safety issue - if you BYO pop-up, you will not be allowed to have 240V power, 240V lighting or gas heating in your popup.
Thanks Russ, your post was helpful.

A question on the bit I've taken out of your post - how does fire safety differ between gas heaters being used at The Scott versus WSC? I'm assuming this has something to do with the fact that the solo pits will be lined up. And what is the difference between hired heaters and owned heaters?

If it is the rule then its the rule. Just seems strange.

Catcha,
Bear

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Thanks Russ, your post was helpful.

A question on the bit I've taken out of your post - how does fire safety differ between gas heaters being used at The Scott versus WSC? I'm assuming this has something to do with the fact that the solo pits will be lined up. And what is the difference between hired heaters and owned heaters?

If it is the rule then its the rule. Just seems strange.

Catcha,
Bear
Probably more like if its your heater and your tent and you die slowly and horribly in a tent fire then its your problem... if you die slowly and horribly (or worse get disfigured - that costs the insurer waaaaay more) in your tent with a heater supplied by CORC then it (could) be their problem...

Sounds reasonable...

I like the idea of not having to bring a ton of stuff... makes my packing sooo much easier... and at the end... I just get to leave and someone else puts it away! I want this at all 24hr races... at leaset then I have the option of throwing money at the problem :)

m_g

Likes Dirt
I like the idea of not having to bring a ton of stuff... makes my packing sooo much easier... and at the end... I just get to leave and someone else puts it away! I want this at all 24hr races... at leaset then I have the option of throwing money at the problem :)
i agree, some things are just worth paying for

.stu.

Likes Dirt
How about 2 spaces covered by a 6x3 marquee? Reading between the lines I can't see why not but I'd rather not make the wrong assumption.

BigSplashBear

Likes Dirt
:D
I like the idea of not having to bring a ton of stuff... makes my packing sooo much easier... and at the end... I just get to leave and someone else puts it away!
:D - something to that logic.
I guess I'm just so used to packing the baggage train for 24hr races....:eek:

Le Matelot

... how does fire safety differ between gas heaters being used at The Scott versus WSC? I'm assuming this has something to do with the fact that the solo pits will be lined up. And what is the difference between hired heaters and owned heaters?
Its not about the hired or non-hired heaters, its about the type of tent that the heater is in. The Hoecker marquees have a better fire rating than the material used in most pop-up tents (and, of course, if you bring your own pop-up tent, there is no way for the organiser to know what tent you are bringing). Also, its nothing special about the WSC, the ACT rules on the use of gas heaters in tents have also become a bit stronger since the 2009 Scott and the fire brigade paid a visit last year to check.

Last edited:

Le Matelot

How about 2 spaces covered by a 6x3 marquee? Reading between the lines I can't see why not but I'd rather not make the wrong assumption.
Yes - no problems with that. Just remember, whatever you have for your allocated 3x3 space (or multiples), must fit within that 3x3 space. This includes the guy ropes for pop-up tents.

BigSplashBear

Likes Dirt
Its not about the hired or non-hired heaters, its about the type of tent that the heater is in. The Hoecker marquees have a better fire rating than the material used in most pop-up tents (and, of course, if you bring your own pop-up tent, there is no way for the organiser to know what tent you are bringing). Also, its nothing special about the WSC, the ACT rules on the use of gas heaters in tents have also become a bit stronger since the 2009 Scott and the fire brigade paid a visit last year to check.
Thank Russ.
Makes sense.
So I'm guessing CORC is going to have some education to do for its big events.
Will ACT Fire Brigade have some details of specifications?

Catcha,
CM

Stromlo altitude?

Hey everyone. I'm all in for the worlds and dusting down the singlespeed. Coming over from Wellington, and no experience of riding around Canberra. Can anyone point me to an altitude graph of a typical Stromlo race course? Even just an idea of the length and height gain on the main climbs? Ta. Paul.

Le Matelot

Thank Russ.
Makes sense.
So I'm guessing CORC is going to have some education to do for its big events.
Will ACT Fire Brigade have some details of specifications?
Last year, they had a document titled "ACT Guidelines for use of Gas Heaters in Tents". Not having any joy googling it, so will see if I can get a link from them.

There was some difference between obligations for facilities provided by an organiser vs BYO tent and heater, but in the solo pit row, BYO tents would but up against Organiser provided tents, so we have to be "tougher" in there.

Le Matelot

New (overseas) Qualifying Event

The 124 Davos in Switzerland is the latest official qualifier for the 2010 24 Hours of Adrenalin World Solo Championships in Canberra, Australia this October. The organizers will be providing the top male and female rider with a paid entry into the WSC.

Although I can think of a few notable Swiss riders who have seen what Stromlo can offer, judging by the photos on the website, the rest of them might be in for a surprise :D

macboy

Likes Dirt
Day and night laps?

Do the Worlds have the day and night lap formula? I noticed in the link that the Scott 24hr used two laps. The Kona was awesome because with 3 seperate loops.. If the Jet Black hadn't been shortened I would have been bored stupid on that track.

Le Matelot

Do the Worlds have the day and night lap formula?
Not previously.

I noticed in the link that the Scott 24hr used two laps. The Kona was awesome because with 3 seperate loops...
The final course plan won't be decided until the WSC Organiser does the pre-race inspection in a couple of months.

The basic concept now, is to think of the 2007 and 2008 Scott Hourglass course design (with the Red and the Blue laps) and have the Solos doing the Red lap, and the teams doing the Blue lap.

This reduces congestion on-course, and gives the solos a clear field of play, un-hindered (or un-helped) by team riders.

Last edited:

ebuk

Likes Dirt
Not specifically related to worlds but......... Is there likely to be a solo category for the 'Scott' part of the 24 hour for riders that haven't qualified or for riders like me who really can't be farked ponying up $400 just to make up the numbers?

Le Matelot

Not specifically related to worlds but......... Is there likely to be a solo category for the 'Scott' part of the 24 hour for riders that haven't qualified or for riders like me who really can't be farked ponying up $400 just to make up the numbers?
WSC have done this in the past but not much in the way off success. They call it the Regional Solo category. In 2009 they had 104 riders in the world Solo Champ but only 1 rider in the Regional Solos.

IF it were to be done in Australia, then those solo riders would ride a different course to the World Solos, and not be located in the solo pit row. But - we don't have plans to run it at this stage.