2010: An Otway Odyssey

Great day, very long in saddle for 9hrs (MTR- more training required) Great course- loved it & have already forgotten the pain in my bones! I was also annoyed @ the rubbish strewn through pristine wilderness- BAD advertising if you were a sponsored rider who litters- I know 1 energy drink I won't be buying.
Would be great to see a bit more stuff for the kiddies & families @ the footy ground who wait patiently for my sorry legs to bring me in.
Will be back next year!

DuncanFG

Likes Dirt
I promised myself that if I actually witnessed something illegal and that the rider then got a podium position, that I would approach Rapid Ascent and tell them. Last year this is exactly what happened, and I didn't tell anyone and I regret it.
Same here Norm, I've regretted not dobbing people in before and told myself not to let people off next time. This year a rider in front of me was tossing bottles, I told him off but was ignored, it made it a bit awkward that I know the guy but I stuck to my guns and dobbed him in.
I think people really need to contact the organisers when this happens. It won't stop until these people have some repercussions from their actions.

Gone Riding

Likes Dirt
Awesome event, bring on OO 2011!

Let's get the only negative over with: I agree, littering is disgraceful no matter who you are. And 'bending' or 'cheating' the rules is not on... I agree people should be named and shamed. Us riders who compete against ourselves and never expect to get near a podium, should know that those who do finish quicker than us (podium or no podium) are at least doing it under the same conditions! Sorry to hear it goes on, but at least the 99% of people who do the right thing know their result is 100% legit, even if it is 3 hours slower ;)

Now, that aside, the 2010 OO was awesome! Personally I knocked about an hour and a half off my 2008 time thanks to the dryer track, got my nutrition and hydration sorted and best of all kept the cramps at bay which has always been my biggest enemy... makes the whole experience a lot more enjoyable! The general vibe of the event and encouragement from volunteers is much appreciated and great to be a part of. It's also great chatting with the hundred odd strangers you ride with along the course!

As a rider, it would be great if there was some kind of unwritten (or written!) rule for those OO double track steep climbs: If you're walking the steep climbs, stick to the left... If you're riding the steep climbs stick to the right and give people plenty of warning you are coming. It would be great to conquer those hills pedalling, but is simply not possible unless you are at the front of the pack, due to the traffic.

My only suggestion to RA to improve the race facilities would be to provide some kind of shaded area along the finishing fence. Given the huge gap in times between competitors, we ended up waiting in the sun (somewhat dehydrated and well over the heat) to cheer our mates on as they came thru in the following hours... it's not a whinge, just would be a great improvement to an awesome event! And maybe a small one of those spray tents we often have at our 40+ degree music festivals here in Adelaide :) No wasted water if it's done on the oval lawn.

Cheers to RA and everyone out there for the great ride... See you all next year!

Last edited:

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Great day, very long in saddle for 9hrs (MTR- more training required) Great course- loved it & have already forgotten the pain in my bones! I was also annoyed @ the rubbish strewn through pristine wilderness- BAD advertising if you were a sponsored rider who litters- I know 1 energy drink I won't be buying.
Would be great to see a bit more stuff for the kiddies & families @ the footy ground who wait patiently for my sorry legs to bring me in.
Will be back next year!
The clean-up crew did a wonderful job. Went out last night, if you know the trails, J2, Super Loop, Marriner's, Foxtail.

Didn't spot a single water bottle, only two TORQ gel wrappers and one SPD plastic pedal cover. There should be no complaints from riders or anyone about the clean-up process by Rapid Ascent, although there does appear to be a much cherished Leatherman out there somewhere? (If you see it Sam at Rapid Ascent would love to hear from you)

Regards

Roland

Beej1

I was one of the tail-end riders through to Forrest (bailed at about 75km), so I was there behind the rest of you 6 - 700 odd riders who finished, and I reckon I saw a gel wrapper at least every 100m on average.

I had read about it in previous years but having never attempted this race (or many races period) I've never actually seen such littering in reality. I was pretty shocked to say the least. I've heard people say it's the elite folk who do it (which fits with the aforementioned empty feedbag and bottle I also saw), and I'm sure they say it's not them but the weekend warrior or elite wannabe's behind them. Regardless, whoever the fuck it is, you're a bunch of lazy-fuck arse-clowns ... seriously. Just stick it your pocket or something ... it's not that difficult.

On the whole I found the event extremely challenging, and hope to try again next year with better prep and actually complete it. My only gripe this year relates to a riding buddy who was coming through the oval after 87km and was faced with a haphazardly tied off route, kind of indicating "We want to pack up, please don't go out on the final loop." No marshall there to explain, no sign, no announcement and no supposed sweeper before that. Just a rope tied across his lane preventing him from riding over the timing point. He went around and rode over it anyway and decided to stop there from fatigue, but it would've been good to cater for those of us who don't finish the race in under 10 hours. The wives/girlfriends/parents who were hanging around for us all commented later that night that "the stupid muppet on the microphone did nothing but talk about Johnny Whizzbang or some other supposedly well-known rider all freakin day - what about the average Joe finishing the race? I want to hear about them." I can't comment as I was in the saddle all day, but it sounded familiar: the 2 Scott 24hrs I've done it seemed that guy on the mike spent 95% of the time bromancing the 5% of riders who's names are supposed to mean something. At events like this, I personally couldn't give a stuff about them, I want to hear about the 95% of people who are there for fun, and for the challenge. I'd one day like to finish a race like this early enough to watch others come across the line, but not if it means I have to listen to that other kinda crap ad-nauseum.

EDIT: One last thing: highlight of day (other than flying down descents) was pulling into Forrest at the same time the 15km riders were getting ready to start. As I rode past I thought I'd never seen so many little groms with smiles from ear to ear in my life. Priceless.

Last edited:

MrsH

Likes Dirt
Lost/Want your Number Plate back?

We picked up a number plate which came off a bike on the post-race shuttle..

If you are/know rider 1050 Sam Reinhardt and want it posted out let me know..

(jic you are like us and hang them on the shed wall :D)

ditchart

Likes Bikes
Agreed Nuc,
The first couple of bottles I saw, I thought you poor bastard, you've dropped your bottle. It wasn't until later I realised they were all empty and thrown away.

Commentator was just annoying. The majority of the crowd were there for Joe Average and not to cheer the pointy end home. Would have been nice to hear peoples names as they crossed they finish line no matter where they come.

My 10 year old son did the 15kay, left his Mum for dead and has his number plate proudly on his wall.

Uhu, I don't think anyone is critical of RA, just the lazy riders who drop it in the first place.

I've just come back from the local bike shop and the talk down there was OO.

Gone Riding

Likes Dirt
The wives/girlfriends/parents who were hanging around for us all commented later that night that "the stupid muppet on the microphone did nothing but talk about Johnny Whizzbang or some other supposedly well-known rider all freakin day - what about the average Joe finishing the race? I want to hear about them." I can't comment as I was in the saddle all day, but it sounded familiar: the 2 Scott 24hrs I've done it seemed that guy on the mike spent 95% of the time bromancing the 5% of riders who's names are supposed to mean something. At events like this, I personally couldn't give a stuff about them, I want to hear about the 95% of people who are there for fun, and for the challenge. I'd one day like to finish a race like this early enough to watch others come across the line, but not if it means I have to listen to that other kinda crap ad-nauseum.
I hear what you're saying, but in fairness to the guys with the mic, I did hear quite a few references and finish line chats with those riders who came in around the 9-10 hour mark, paying respect to them and the supreme effort it takes to be on course that long, etc... not like those soft riders who finish in 4.5 hours ;) Maybe I was delirious but it didn't seem totally one sided to me at the time?

felixmtb

Likes Dirt
I hear what you're saying, but in fairness to the guys with the mic, I did hear quite a few references and finish line chats with those riders who came in around the 9-10 hour mark, paying respect to them and the supreme effort it takes to be on course that long, etc... not like those soft riders who finish in 4.5 hours ;) Maybe I was delirious but it didn't seem totally one sided to me at the time?
+1.
Also, Tim Sheedy was great to listen to when you need some cheering up after a long hard slog up sledgehammer and all those other mean hills!

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
Agreed Nuc,
The first couple of bottles I saw, I thought you poor bastard, you've dropped your bottle. It wasn't until later I realised they were all empty and thrown away.
I got all excited when I saw Gordo's bottle about 2km into the last stage as I missed my drink, I stopped to take advantage of his loss to realise it was empty :(

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Disclaimer: I didn't actually *see* anyone get fed outside the feedzones, or chucking bottles, or chucking gel wrappers. And generally I treat information sourced on the web as approximately as reliable as believing the drunken scrawling on the wall of a public toilet.

However.

It sounds like a bit of this was happening. If you witnessed it, and are aggreived by it, I would suggest contact with the rider(s) sponsors would be a better approach than contacting the team or the rider directly. If Brand X was to hear that you would categorically not be purchasing their product, due to the behavior of their sponsored atheletes, it may bring to bear pressure that may discourage that behavior in a very direct manner.

As for the race - had a ball. Was toasted by the finish and swearing never to enter again. By lunch Sunday (and over a beer) plans were already afoot for the next one. Training plans are in place - something about dragging tractor tyres up steep hills repeatedly.

Thanks to RA - thanks to Forrest MTB Club - thanks to the locals - thanks to Apollo Bay.

jt_vic

Likes Bikes
Here's a promise for you, next year at the OO, I will have a camera with me and I will photograph any potential cheaters and then I will shame them here...? how's that sound?
But Norm, won't you be riding in the vets in the OO next year? I'll be bloody vintage by then myself!

SB

Likes Dirt
Last saturday was the first Mtb event for me, I rode the 50k in 4.22, which I was happy with.
Cramps set in at about 30ks and rotated trough every leg muscle which slowed me down big time.
Looking forward to next years event with some different ideas on improving my time. Number 1 will be to NOT ride a 16kg Freeride bike no matter how well it rails corners! Number 2 will be to train more and drink less beer..
I have started training already with a ride up Wild Dog to Tanybryn and back to Apollo Bay and I'm on the lookout for a more suitable bike.
Thanks to RA and all the vollys who made this day work, Cheers..

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
solution to the rubbish

Like most things in life almost everyone is really great and only a few riders drop gell packetts etc. I have ridden around the you yangs after a big race and only found 5 or 6 gell packets however after one race at the you yangs last year , I picked up heaps of gell packetts and a couple of the other race crew also picked up heaps too. there was only one brand that i found and just so people know i am not pointing the finger, it was NOT torque. So we got talking and felt it was most likely the same rider.
how do you stop it.
this is the solution we "may" trail at the next Geelong event.
Each rider will have to write their race number on their gells and drink bottle,

These could be checked at the start line.
what do you folks think????

Hud

Likes Dirt
Like most things in life almost everyone is really great and only a few riders drop gell packetts etc. I have ridden around the you yangs after a big race and only found 5 or 6 gell packets however after one race at the you yangs last year , I picked up heaps of gell packetts and a couple of the other race crew also picked up heaps too. there was only one brand that i found and just so people know i am not pointing the finger, it was NOT torque. So we got talking and felt it was most likely the same rider.
how do you stop it.
Each rider will have to write their race number on their gells and drink bottle,

Sounds ok, but the Rockstar racing team are the folks who offended here (I also noted a number of empty bottles) and didn't someone say they even saw the riders name on one bottle? So they have been named and shamed, but will anything else happen? If no action is taken here then there may not be any point in doing what you suggest mmatrix. Too bad someone didn't collect the bottles and present them to Rockstars while they were on the podium - with a loud explanation.
BTW, do any of the 'pros' get on Rotorburn or are they 'elite' in more than one aspect?

PS. A big thanks to the marshals on course, special mention to the lady at the start of Marriners Run. Standing in dry scrub with no shade was a marathon effort in itself!

HillBilly

Likes Bikes
how do you stop it.

I like your idea! A bit like the first aid kit random check - a person found carrying a drink bottle or gel wrapper without their name or race number written on it will incur a penalty.

The reality of course is that you can genuinely accidently drop a gel wrapper or bidon and not know it - whether or not you get penalised would have to be at the discretion of the race promoter - them's the breaks. It would surely act as a deterrent to the blatant discarding of rubbish as experienced on Saturday.

I'd be happy to put the idea to some promoters...

HillBilly

29er

Likes Bikes
The shorty was the first mtb event that I have entered. About 10 kms in I wished that I had trained harder and lost a few more kg's. I finished in 3hr52mins. The last 10 kms were really hard as my legs were burning.

Thanks to all the riders who offered encouragement along the way or who pulled off the track and called me through to pass them.

HillBilly

Likes Bikes
Sounds ok, but the Rockstar racing team are the folks who offended here (I also noted a number of empty bottles) and didn't someone say they even saw the riders name on one bottle? So they have been named and shamed, but will anything else happen? If no action is taken here then there may not be any point in doing what you suggest mmatrix. Too bad someone didn't collect the bottles and present them to Rockstars while they were on the podium - with a loud explanation.
BTW, do any of the 'pros' get on Rotorburn or are they 'elite' in more than one aspect?

PS. A big thanks to the marshals on course, special mention to the lady at the start of Marriners Run. Standing in dry scrub with no shade was a marathon effort in itself!
I can assure you Hud, the Rockstar guys will hear of this. I'd be very surprised if we see branded bottles discarded again...

HillBilly

dadsgirl

Likes Bikes
I was standing in the feed zone when a woman asked one of the riders where his other bottles were....his answer "for the amount of money I paid for entry, the organisers can go and pick them up". I nearly fell over backwards when I heard it!

QZ13

Likes Dirt
The current world champion (24hr) has posted in this thread a couple of times already.

Most of them are great guys, some are tools. But you can say that about any group of people.