2010: An Otway Odyssey

felixmtb

Likes Dirt
Can anyone confirm if RA actually checked the first aid kits? From what I saw they were needed by quite a few individuals. It seemed that there were alot of accidents. Is this cos it was harder technically or endurance wise than other racer or just cos their are alot of less skilled rider competing.
I was checked as i came in, i think they checked top 5 finishers (as said before) of the race and the top 5 finishers of each category (i think...) and any other checks were completely random.

Gone Riding

Likes Dirt
I didn't actually observe any checking of kits this year, but I have been checked the previous 2 years. And the one person I saw on the side of the track (broken shoulder / collarbone somewhere before the 40km mark, big branch down across track) had his arm in a sling - so someone must have had a kit.
I was coming around the fireroad just before the downhill turn off before that log. I saw several bikes ripping down, and then heard a yell, a thud and then silence. I knew it wouldn't be good for the rider. He was lying on the track and had obviously mistimed or not seen the log. He was a good 5m from his bike. I checked to see if he was OK - he told me that he thought he had done his collar bone. A few riders had also stopped and one kind soul offered to stay with him. I advised that he better get his arm in a sling and that I would get help from the marshalls. After memorising his number (493) - I was eventually able to notify the track officials of his location along Noonday Track.
I just want to say thanks to the guy that had his arm in the sling and the guy that obviously stopped to help him because I could hear someone yelling something for about 2 minutes before getting to that section (I actually thought it was noise from the 38km drink station). Without their warning I think a lot of others would have ended up the same because it was so dusty, even when I was going slow and keeping my eyes peeled it was hard to see the log across the track until the last minute... hope the shoulder/collarbone makes a full recovery mate!

krizbike

Likes Dirt
Question to all: how ride-able are the first 30k hills do you guys reckon. I would start riding then see others walking or be blocked so stop and walk, walking at 3-4kphs probably ride at 3-4kphs, so? What's the best tactic?
Personally I found that 95% of the climbs were rideable. The only issue was picking a good line and not having to stop if another rider came off in front of you, or there were too many walkers. There was one climb where I was having trouble keeping the front wheel down and eventually I lost too much momentum, gave in and got off to walk.
When I was riding, I was definitely passing plenty of people walking, so usually riding is faster than walking. If a hill is so steep that you are in bottom gear and barely making it, then you would probably be walking pretty slowly too.
It also depends on your muscles; when walking you are really stretching out and then compressing your calf muscles as you power up a hill. When riding you are using your quads and hip extensors more (which are much larger muscles).
I have to ride up a pretty steep hill every day after work, so I get a bit of practice at it, and will do my best to avoid walking any part of a course. I walked The Sledgehammer though. :eek:

Chris

HUTCHY77

Likes Bikes
Most of us were probabley lucky to avoid going over the bars at that log.
How did everyone else find the rest of the course. My favourite bit would have to be the forest loop(i thhink this is what it's called) the last loop before you head into forest 67km. the sling shot was a blast!
how did everyone find the ruts on the last bit of downhill track before the sledgehammer. i found it tuff to ride. multiple lines and very steep:p

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Most of us were probabley lucky to avoid going over the bars at that log.
I heard riders yelling log or something like that, did my usual bunny hop over it, I'm surprised people crashed on it as I was on full alert for anything considering what we had already ridden.

My favourite bit would have to be the forest loop(i thhink this is what it's called) the last loop before you head into forest 67km
yeah agree, how was the 3 -4 mini jumps in a row, relentless riding, I was getting so much that I was almost wanted a break.

how did everyone find the ruts on the last bit of downhill track before the sledgehammer
I have a pretty new yeti 575, tell you what that thing handled the downhills so well, was dropping into sections where other riders were stopped contemplating the line. Was quite nice being on the edge of killing myself on those downhills.

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
I heard riders yelling log or something like that, did my usual bunny hop over it, I'm surprised people crashed on it as I was on full alert for anything considering what we had already ridden.

I have a pretty new yeti 575, tell you what that thing handled the downhills so well, was dropping into sections where other riders were stopped contemplating the line. Was quite nice being on the edge of killing myself on those downhills.
I discussed that log with a few mates and it was fully agreed that they log was dangerous and should have been removed. The sheer speed that alot of riders were doing that section, coupled with alot of duts and at the bottom of a downhill section meant that it was an accident waiting to happen. It definately should have been removed before the race.

The last DH single track section was agony on a rigid bike. That was the only time I wanted suspension.

There werent many hills that geared riders were able to do that I wasn't. That said I wont be using 33x18 next year. That was just silly.

HUTCHY77

Likes Bikes
I agree with needing a break from some of the awesome single track. hard to pace yourself when your smashing pedals to try and have crack at the next jump.
good to hear the yeti ran well. i did my first race on my new stump jumper and loved it. have used a epic the last two years. pulled up alot better in the back and neck. it would be good to hear what other bikes were used and some feedback on performance

Gone Riding

Likes Dirt
Question to all: how ride-able are the first 30k hills do you guys reckon. I would start riding then see others walking or be blocked so stop and walk, walking at 3-4kphs probably ride at 3-4kphs, so? What's the best tactic?...
Personally I found that 95% of the climbs were rideable. The only issue was picking a good line and not having to stop if another rider came off in front of you, or there were too many walkers. There was one climb where I was having trouble keeping the front wheel down and eventually I lost too much momentum, gave in and got off to walk.
When I was riding, I was definitely passing plenty of people walking, so usually riding is faster than walking. If a hill is so steep that you are in bottom gear and barely making it, then you would probably be walking pretty slowly too.
It also depends on your muscles; when walking you are really stretching out and then compressing your calf muscles as you power up a hill. When riding you are using your quads and hip extensors more (which are much larger muscles).
I have to ride up a pretty steep hill every day after work, so I get a bit of practice at it, and will do my best to avoid walking any part of a course. I walked The Sledgehammer though. :eek:
Chris
I mentioned this in this thread earlier... personally I love riding the steep hills and train a lot on hills so was a bit pissed that they were mostly congested. I understand how they get congested but was thinking the following... It would be great if there was some kind of unwritten (or written!) rule for those OO double track steep climbs: If you're walking the steep climbs, stick to the left... If you're riding the steep climbs stick to the right and give people plenty of warning you are coming. It would be great to conquer those hills pedaling, but is simply not possible unless you are at the front of the pack, due to the traffic. Surely this is a pretty simple solution that means those that wanna walk can walk, and those that wanna ride can ride!

As for what's more efficient and faster, for me personally I think all but 1 would be better pedaling. The Sledgehammer is technically rideable but my legs didn't want a bar of it towards the last 50m :(

Gone Riding

Likes Dirt
I agree with needing a break from some of the awesome single track. hard to pace yourself when your smashing pedals to try and have crack at the next jump.
good to hear the yeti ran well. i did my first race on my new stump jumper and loved it. have used a epic the last two years. pulled up alot better in the back and neck. it would be good to hear what other bikes were used and some feedback on performance
Rode my Anthem XLtd for the 100kms and was stoked with it, all except for the last rutted singletrack that keeps getting mentioned - the arms were buggered by that stage so the 100mm travel and more forward geometry was hard going under brakes, but I wouldn't have changed a thing. Spoke to a mate who rode it on a Trance and he found that last section fine thanks to the slightly more forgiving geometry and travel.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Who did pick up all the rubbish? Huge thanks to whoever did, because there sure was a lot. I saw so many Bidons (particularly Rockstar) that I thought they must have dedicated support people picking them up. Whilst that goes against the outside assistance rule, at least it would be environmentally ok.

And what do they do with all those Bidons, there must be hundreds!
There must have been a very full 4WD sweeping the course...
Part of the permit arrangement with DSE, and this goes for all users, is they remove all litter / waste created. We have to include this in our plans, even for club races.

In the end RA has responsibility for the clean-up, by all accounts, was done very well.

Guessing the bottles end up in a skip, then moved to a tip somewhere

Regards

Roland

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're walking the steep climbs, stick to the left... If you're riding the steep climbs stick to the right
AGREE, reckon riders know this! When walking I was conscious of keeping left and every now and then looked back for a climbing rider.

Funny thing there's some strange psychology at play here, you're walking which for me is a no, no. However you have to accept in the context of 100k ride, it's not such a big deal (of course would rather ride it), so you accept defeat and keep left.

However there are riders (walkers) ... well a bit like climate change deniers, who won't budge and think, well if i'm walking this rides simply unride-able so they somehow create a block on climb. Only if you yell out do they snap out of denial and let you through. On the other hand it's all part of the ride so stay::cool:

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think it should be a mandatory part of the pre-race riders briefing. At all races. It's common sense to most, but not all, especially those who are not so familiar with the surface these races take place on.:p

Flying haggis

Likes Bikes
I agree with the keep left on the climbs if your walking. Once you get off your bike to walk you should be giving priority to anyone who rides up behind you.

I know most do this but some people seem to intentionally get in your road or refuse to move, it's not in the spirit of mountain biking at all. Nobody really likes getting overtaken but it's all part of it.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I see RA have emailed out the post race survey.

If you've got first hand, legitimate comments to make about other teams / riders behavior, this is probably the place to make it.

Beej1

Eval said:
I DNFed...... at my first 100k event. After learning that riding a 100k event is a whole lot different to a 50ker, I'll be back for 2011. It was an awesome ride. Hats off to all that finished - particularly the guy on his cyclocross.
Yeah me too on my first go, and me too on being more prepared for next year. You must've been pretty far ahead of me though, as the ambos who came to get that guy stopped at the top of the track turnoff and asked me if I'd seen a guy down. I said "No, but if may have happened behind me" and he said "It was about an hour ago" ... poor bugger. Must've thought nobody was coming.

As for the steep hills, I'd be interested to find out (don't know if it'd be possible) what percentage of riders ride them as opposed to walk them. I would've guessed more walkers. While I'd like to be able to ride them (and think I could, if I only had to do one or two in the race), I wonder if it would make more sense to have less of them. Or at least, a more rideable alternative, so more time could be spent actually riding by more riders. I'm not saying less vertical meters, just less of a steep gradient. Sure, it would be less challenging, but I hardly think it would ruin the race.

I get the feeling everyone who can ride them would say "No, get fitter and better at it ya slackarse!" and yeah, that's the plan, but I don't think it will change the number of folk walking them each year, and my point is to make it better for ALL participants, rather than just the guns.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
As for the steep hills, I'd be interested to find out (don't know if it'd be possible) what percentage of riders ride them as opposed to walk them. I would've guessed more walkers. While I'd like to be able to ride them (and think I could, if I only had to do one or two in the race), I wonder if it would make more sense to have less of them. Or at least, a more rideable alternative, so more time could be spent actually riding by more riders. I'm not saying less vertical meters, just less of a steep gradient. Sure, it would be less challenging, but I hardly think it would ruin the race.
I tend to agree. Not too strongly though. I feel I could have ridden more, but I was worried about blowing up too early. This was only my second MTB event and I am wrapped to have finished it. I'll be back next year.

krizbike

Likes Dirt
I tend to agree. Not too strongly though. I feel I could have ridden more, but I was worried about blowing up too early. This was only my second MTB event and I am wrapped to have finished it. I'll be back next year.
OO has the reputation as one of the hardest (if not the hardest) rides around. I doubt RA would want to make it easier. I do see your point (and I certainly felt it at stages!), but I think you have to consider this race to be up super high on the difficulty scale, so it's not going to be 100% rideable for any but the strongest riders.

Chris

Gone Riding

Likes Dirt
Keep te steeps!

Yeah me too on my first go, and me too on being more prepared for next year. You must've been pretty far ahead of me though, as the ambos who came to get that guy stopped at the top of the track turnoff and asked me if I'd seen a guy down. I said "No, but if may have happened behind me" and he said "It was about an hour ago" ... poor bugger. Must've thought nobody was coming.

I get the feeling everyone who can ride them would say "No, get fitter and better at it ya slackarse!" and yeah, that's the plan, but I don't think it will change the number of folk walking them each year, and my point is to make it better for ALL participants, rather than just the guns.
I understand where you are coming from - it's bloody hard! - but I would be very disappointed to see any of the steeps removed... isn't that all just part of the challenge and the awesome terrain of the OO and the incentive to train harder for next year and make that next climb, or shave a half hour off your best time!? It helps create 'stages' within the race as well - you know you're legs are gonna hurt in the first 40km's, but then you get some sweet downhills for a while, followed by sweet singletrack for ages, etc - I think it helps break the 100km's up.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Definitely, I walked all the steeps last year in the 50, and feel so good I rode most this year in the 100.

Next year I'll ride them all...well I can aim for it anyway.