2010: An Otway Odyssey

krizbike

Likes Dirt
I was standing in the feed zone when a woman asked one of the riders where his other bottles were....his answer "for the amount of money I paid for entry, the organisers can go and pick them up". I nearly fell over backwards when I heard it!
nice attitude... Should've told him to go back to road riding. ;-)
(and yes, I do road riding and racing, so I'm allowed to pay roadies out!)

Chris

HillBilly

Likes Bikes
nice attitude... Should've told him to go back to road riding. ;-)
(and yes, I do road riding and racing, so I'm allowed to pay roadies out!)

Chris
What's being a Roadie got to do with an attitude like that??? Sounds more like a spoiled brat to me...

Beej1

I hear what you're saying, but in fairness to the guys with the mic, I did hear quite a few references and finish line chats with those riders who came in around the 9-10 hour mark, paying respect to them and the supreme effort it takes to be on course that long, etc... not like those soft riders who finish in 4.5 hours ;) Maybe I was delirious but it didn't seem totally one sided to me at the time?
Like I said, I was out on the trails most of the day so it's just their word I was going on. They did mention one Joe Average chat (or Jill Average I think it was) in particular which involved an awkward moment where MC dude paid out on her appaearance (covered in dust) at the finish line, which didn't draw any laughs from the individual. I think this might've been the moment they decided he was a douche and perhaps that tainted the evening's conversation about him.

The idea of writing entrant numbers or names on gel wrappers is pretty good. It would slow things down at the finish line considerably, but I would suggest that as part of registration, you decide how many sachets you're going to carry and it gets recorded. At the finish line, each rider must present their wrappers and any leftovers (both with numbers) to make sure the totals marry up. This will prevent anyone who hates racer X from writing racer X's number on some gels racer X is sponsored by, and dropping them randomly on course to frame them. Not foolproof, but perhaps a deterrent. If a gel wrapper gets brought in that belongs to you, and you were short upon finishing, then you get a choice of X minutes adder to your time, or a fine from the police. Either way, your name gets listed in a litterers list for all to see. Perhaps the rider who brings in the wrappers gets X minutes taken off their time as reward (but if you get busted framing as mentioned, you get the penatly).

krizbike

Likes Dirt
What's being a Roadie got to do with an attitude like that??? Sounds more like a spoiled brat to me...
Roadie = Spoiled brat. :rolleyes:
Wasn't being serious (hence the smiley afterwards). It's just the image that is sometimes associated with roadies.

krizbike

Likes Dirt
I hear what you're saying, but in fairness to the guys with the mic, I did hear quite a few references and finish line chats with those riders who came in around the 9-10 hour mark, paying respect to them and the supreme effort it takes to be on course that long, etc... not like those soft riders who finish in 4.5 hours ;) Maybe I was delirious but it didn't seem totally one sided to me at the time?
+2
When I got in, they had a long chat to a kid on a BMX who came in with me, and than had a chat to a guy on a dirt jump bike who came in after me. They spoke to some familiy riders (mother and daughter), and lots of other randoms. ok, they didn't name every rider, but they certainly picked out anyone interesting as they came in and had a chat.

Chris

MTB_KAT

Likes Dirt
The current world champion (24hr) has posted in this thread a couple of times already.

Most of them are great guys, some are tools. But you can say that about any group of people.
The winner of the 100 has also posted in this thread

velocidad

Likes Dirt
I thought all three of the commentary team did a great job at OO - as did my wife and daughter interviewed after finishing together in the pioneer race, they were stoked with that quick chat :cool:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I finished in 9:42 and I was very pleased to still see some people there clapping me over the line. No interveiw but I am the quiet type anyway.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I finished in 9:42 and I was very pleased to still see some people there clapping me over the line. No interveiw but I am the quiet type anyway.
Not too sure if they changed the times/ format, but last year I came in at 10:15 and there was nothing but tumble weeds and devoted mates/ partners/ wives. This year came in at 9:30 and there were a stack more people and I think the end of some presentations (too busy passing out on the ground to listen). Agree, it was a real lift to get a bit of clap across the line...... followed by a beer..........

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
I did a 100 miler in the USA and their rule was no Gel packets period. They gave you a gel bottle and you filled it up at the start of the race and mid way through. No problems then, well unless you lose the bottle which i somehow did on the rockiest trail i have ever seen. Just need to worry about the bar wrappers. I have to confess that it seems I lost a couple of wrapper on course probably on a big stack. So for Karma I will be out picking up rubbish next ride.

Congrats to Steve, who after losing 3 of his 4 chainring bolts on his Rigid SS continued on through the race (more than 50kms) and managed to get through without tearing the chainring off. Well done.

Can anyone confirm if RA actually checked the first aid kits? From what I saw they were needed by quite a few individuals. It seemed that there were alot of accidents. Is this cos it was harder technically or endurance wise than other racer or just cos their are alot of less skilled rider competing.

Last edited:

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I didn't actually observe any checking of kits this year, but I have been checked the previous 2 years. And the one person I saw on the side of the track (broken shoulder / collarbone somewhere before the 40km mark, big branch down across track) had his arm in a sling - so someone must have had a kit.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
great event, didn't go as well as I planned but we finished! - was our first time however, stomach problems in first 8ks (so couldn't eat for a while), still went on, and had a cracker of a ride on the downhills, mate and I rode it as a fun ride, just loved the single track.

Question to all: how ride-able are the first 30k hills do you guys reckon. I would start riding then see others walking or be blocked so stop and walk, walking at 3-4kphs probably ride at 3-4kphs, so? What's the best tactic?

Bit of a dismal lunch at Forrest, (where's Soul Kitchen??). I would like a supplied lunch so I could roll through and only have a short break, spent 25 minutes trying to decide on the least crappy food option.

Otherwise, anyone who finishes (or even starts) this event has my complete respect as an mtber, this is the Mount Everest of Mounting Biking ... well from a weekend warrior perspective that is ...

sonaid

Likes Bikes
"Can anyone confirm if RA actually checked the first aid kits? From what I saw they were needed by quite a few individuals. It seemed that there were alot of accidents. Is this cos it was harder technically or endurance wise than other racer or just cos their are alot of less skilled rider competing.[/QUOTE]"

They checked the top 5 finishers in the 50km event as I was checked and came in 4th overall with the 5th placed rider also being checked. Another one of our guys was randomly checked further down the field. They only asked to see the kit, she didn't open it and check everything off. So it does pay to have it with you just in case they ask.

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
I was checked before the race and told to share it if need be because not everyone remembered their kits....

(They wouldn't tell me who did either!)

Mark S

Likes Dirt
As previously mentioned, I finished in 10 1/2 hours. Not quite tumbleweeds at the reserve but the finish line clock was down and gone. All I was worried about was that my time was registered (it was) and I was not recorded as a DNF.

As soon as I crossed the line, someone (can't even recall whether they were male or female) pressed the beer ticket into my hand and said "hurry up, they're closing soon". That was a nice touch.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Congrats to Steve, who after losing 3 of his 4 chainring bolts on his Rigid SS continued on through the race (more than 50kms) and managed to get through without tearing the chainring off. Well done.
Thanks Lanky.:)

I just picked up a new set an hour ago. These won't be coming off.

jt_vic

Likes Bikes
I didn't actually observe any checking of kits this year, but I have been checked the previous 2 years. And the one person I saw on the side of the track (broken shoulder / collarbone somewhere before the 40km mark, big branch down across track) had his arm in a sling - so someone must have had a kit.
I had my kit checked prior to the start.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Who did pick up all the rubbish? Huge thanks to whoever did, because there sure was a lot. I saw so many Bidons (particularly Rockstar) that I thought they must have dedicated support people picking them up. Whilst that goes against the outside assistance rule, at least it would be environmentally ok.

And what do they do with all those Bidons, there must be hundreds!
There must have been a very full 4WD sweeping the course...

Hud

Likes Dirt
That was knarly. I was flying down the trail following riders -dust everywhere. Saw the branch at the last minute, locked both wheels then somehow flung the bike over it. A few others I talked to had the same experience.

Eval

Squid
That was knarly. I was flying down the trail following riders -dust everywhere. Saw the branch at the last minute, locked both wheels then somehow flung the bike over it. A few others I talked to had the same experience.
I was coming around the fireroad just before the downhill turn off before that log. I saw several bikes ripping down, and then heard a yell, a thud and then silence. I knew it wouldn't be good for the rider. He was lying on the track and had obviously mistimed or not seen the log. He was a good 5m from his bike. I checked to see if he was OK - he told me that he thought he had done his collar bone. A few riders had also stopped and one kind soul offered to stay with him. I advised that he better get his arm in a sling and that I would get help from the marshalls. After memorising his number (493) - I was eventually able to notify the track officials of his location along Noonday Track.

I DNFed...... at my first 100k event. After learning that riding a 100k event is a whole lot different to a 50ker, I'll be back for 2011. It was an awesome ride. Hats off to all that finished - particularly the guy on his cyclocross.

Eval.