I phone 4

wombat

Lives in a hole
Isn't that concept generally referred to (in non-AppleSpeak) as "Skype"?
Yeap, but what I find interesting is the fact that it's a top bill feature on a 'phone', but it's not possible to actually use the feature over the 'phone' network.

And before anyone says it, I know that it's as much a computer as a phone, I'm just wondering why they couldn't offer a more compressed stream that would work over a 3G connection?

niki125

Likes Dirt
The impression I got from the keynote is that when the mobile networks catch up to the standard that is required by apple they will enable the face time feature over the network. To me apple don't like doing anything till its up to their standard, multitasking for example. Either that or its a clever way to release features that have been out for a while and call them new. Depends how much of a cynic you are. I can't wait to get mine when I come back from OS.

kozlik9

Likes Dirt
Just got my 3Gs today. I was considering waiting to get the 4 but the dude was like there is an Update that will let the 3Gs do everything the 4 can (besides of coarse the video chat and the flash yadayadayada) . Also i prefer the look of the 3Gs.

Bodin

GMBC
Just got my 3Gs today. I was considering waiting to get the 4 but the dude was like there is an Update that will let the 3Gs do everything the 4 can (besides of coarse the video chat and the flash yadayadayada) . Also i prefer the look of the 3Gs.
You have gotten a good phone. I've had no problems with my 3GS.

Sent from my iPhone ;)

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
wait, facetime, is jut video calling?

after reading the quick marketing speil..
"people have been dreaming about video calling for decades. iPhone 4 makes it a reality. With just a tap, you can wave hello to your kids, share a smile from across the globe or watch your best friend laugh at your stories"

i was making video calls on my ericcson on "3" about 4ish years ago...

"iPhone 4 has two cameras: one on the front, which focuses on you. And one on the back, which focuses on everything else. FaceTime lets you switch back and forth between them at any time during a video call. All you have to do is tap a button."

WOW TWOOO CAMERA's OMGGGGGGGG

once again, ive had 4 phones over the last 4 years, all have had 2 cameras, all have had a camera a flash, the last two have taken HD video....

ive got nothing against iphone's, im going to buy one (been waiting for them to release one with a camera flash)...
Their marketing team is freaking awsome.. i dont understand, how they can succesfully advertise such shit features..

and thats not sarcasim, dead serious, there will be people rushing to the shop to buy an iphone, cause it has "facetime"..which is just video calls, which have been around for half a decade..

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
and thats not sarcasim, dead serious, there will be people rushing to the shop to buy an iphone, cause it has "facetime"..which is just video calls, which have been around for half a decade..
Which is currently used by...not many people.

Apple is making video calling accessible, which is really what they're good at- bringing technology to the masses and making it easy to use. Expect to see a whole lot more of it now, and other manufacturers start stepping up their video calling features.

sawtell

Apple is making video calling accessible, which is really what they're good at- bringing technology to the masses and making it easy to use. Expect to see a whole lot more of it now, and other manufacturers start stepping up their video calling features.

ah yeah, whoops must have forgot how it was so hard to do before, on my past 2 nokia's..

Select number, press down, hit call .... . video call starts. opposed to normal call, where you dont press down!

video calling's current down fall isnt the fact that phones cant do it, its the fact that you have to be in 3g, or wi-fi zone to use it.

ahh and the fact that video calling, 90% of the time is a waste of time!

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ive got nothing against iphone's, im going to buy one (been waiting for them to release one with a camera flash)...
Their marketing team is freaking awsome.. i dont understand, how they can succesfully advertise such shit features..

Agree with you there, my last two phones have been able to video call and my current phone has a HD video camera with an 8MP camera.

How many people actually use the video call function on the phones? I never have personally and I no one I know has ever tried to video call me either.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Conversation I had with my mate on the weekend.
Mate: I wonder when new iPhone comes in Aus?
Me: Dunno...why? (was actually even unaware that a new one was being launched)
Mate: Because I want the new one.
Me: Ah yeah cool...why?
Mate:.....silence. New ones are heaps better.

I laughed a little. He has a perfectly good iPhone already.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
"...and, we're bringing video calling to the world... it's going to change the way we communicate, forever."

"[lists new features] this is going to change everything, all over again."

Having said that, there's probably a degree of truth in their implication of the impact it will have on the market; not because the tech or ideas are new, but because their implementation and usability could well lead to much more widespread. Although the idea of video calling that doesn't actually work over a phone network is interesting...
Agrred wombat. Apple have never been the 'invention' company, they're the usability company. Bringing portable media, smartphones and now video calling to the mass market.

EDIT: And come on guys, it was the keynote address about a new product. Obviously it's going to put it on a pillar and worship it - what else is a keynote address for?

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have had 3 phones with video calling... never once have i thought about using it. If I want to talk to someone on the phone, i call them using the telephone feature that has been around... for a litte while now.

It's true that apple are good at revolutionising markets by introducing products we already had in our pockets... but hell, if it works!! I'll buy one when my iphone dies. And I hate this piece of shit... but it's a toy, I like toys

sawtell

If i was apple, id sell up, and become an advertising/marketing company. its really what they are good at! :p

mrcurlyhead

Likes Dirt

but apples way of video calling is bullshit you can only video call through wifi because im going to carry a router with me everwhere to video call ayy? haha

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Don't know if it's been posted before but iOS4 in Australia is available for download now. I've given the upgrade through iTunes a kick in the guts on my 3Gs. Looking forward to a smooth and bug-free upgrade.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Conversation I had with my mate on the weekend.
Mate: I wonder when new iPhone comes in Aus?
Me: Dunno...why? (was actually even unaware that a new one was being launched)
Mate: Because I want the new one.
Me: Ah yeah cool...why?
Mate:.....silence. New ones are heaps better.

I laughed a little. He has a perfectly good iPhone already.
Relevant.