The Fixie Thread

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You may be confusing me with g-fish? (he probably does wear close to size 19 shoes and he is incredibility dirty)
You're wrong there, i wear size 11.

So what, i/lorday/lemontimes/many other people in this thread ride a bike that was found in a skip. I've spent <$400 on my bike, the frame deserves much better than being beaten around as a fixie. But I first got a fixie because it looked like fun, i'd been riding mtb/bmx for three years it was simply something new to try out.

I don't care if your roadie magazine tells you that i'm too tall for my bike, it doesn't affect you, nor me - because i'm comfortable on it and MOST IMPORTANTLY: i'm having fun, which is why we ride, isn't it?

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep definately wasn't me. But the colour does look super good, I'm stoked with it.

Nearly died on two occasions yesterda. Once when moving my backpack and forgot I had to keep pedalling and again hopping up a gutter, both instances were borderline catastrophic. I love this!

Oh and were can I pick up a cheap BMX stem to fit the 25.4 bars? eBay it or online shop?

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
BMX Stems are 22.2mm, not 25.4mm. 25.4mm is still a road / mtb size.
Yeah, but a BMX style stem to accomodate for the bigger clamping area, It doesn't have to specificly be BMX stem just something similar. I was thinking something like an NS stem but they're a bit pricey..

Also I put SPDs on, they're so much better to use instead of straps. Thinking of chaning the ratio too. How does a 52-18 ratio go? I have some cool looking cranks off an old roadie 165mm with a 52t ring riveted on. I had a look and it should be a little harder than my ratio of 42-15 at the moment.

syphon_the_python

Likes Dirt
I've been doing some longer rides on my Surly...managed a mountainous 75km last saturday. Hoping to do a (masochistic) century soon. Uphills are great, but extended descents I find exhausting with a 65 inch gear. Does anyone else ride fixed over long distances?

I'm considering a brooks saddle for comfort on long rides. Are they as comfortable as they're purported to be? They're $89 on Wiggle...

Also, what's the technique for hopping a fixie in cleats? Just pull up and let the pedals spin in the air?

Lorday

Eats Squid
I've been doing some longer rides on my Surly...managed a mountainous 75km last saturday. Hoping to do a (masochistic) century soon. Uphills are great, but extended descents I find exhausting with a 65 inch gear. Does anyone else ride fixed over long distances?

I'm considering a brooks saddle for comfort on long rides. Are they as comfortable as they're purported to be? They're $89 on Wiggle...

Also, what's the technique for hopping a fixie in cleats? Just pull up and let the pedals spin in the air?
Still can't fixie hop.
Longest fixed ride i've done is 50kms or there about. Was brakeless as well. Don't ride long distances anymore on the fixie, i've got an SS roadie for that.

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Made a few changes.

Some blizzards in 23c and a proline stem with 80mm. Also chopped the steerer and running the stem negative rise. Feeling really good at the moment.

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Frame & Fork : 1960's era Morrison Ten of Hastings NZ (Handmade, completely lugged except dropouts) Hi-Ten Steel
Bars&Stem : Sugino (unlabled---research told me this)
Seat&Post : Fizik Arione (Small Tear/scuff and slight crack) and Chrome post
Wheelset : Quando Deep V with Machined B/Surface, Fixed/Free hubs
Cranks : Lasco cranks with 48t Messenger Chainring & Shimano BB
Pedals : Odessey Twisted clear & SkinGrowsBack Pedal straps
Tires : Front and rear detonators, black, brand new (front only shown)
Chain : KMC
Brakes (incase!) : CX no name levers, no name calipers, only running front.

Pm me if your interested!

matkustaja

Likes Bikes
Does anyone have an old frame they want to get rid of?

I want to build a bike for cheap it'll be sprayed matt black most likely just something stealthy for commuting :)

HLC

Likes Dirt
Hey all.

Ive just moved from sydney to perth.

seen a shit-ton of fixies in the city. any decent rides to go on? i live just near burswood and pedal into the city every weekend.

I ride a bitsa. its hopeless. gonna buy a new frame soon and build up something decent.

basically its a raw finish old 27" frame, deep vee knockoffs with pink maxis detonators, bare metal bullhorn handlebars with a dropbar brake lever attached.

anyone seen me, shout out. would be cool to catch up with some lads and go for a ride.