The Fixie Thread

Lorday

Eats Squid
What smiiish said.
Cages and straps and shes off with either a nice flat/riser bar or drops which aren't at a retarded angle. Tape the bartards up though.

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
got the frame,forks, cranks for free:)
its a viner was raced by my mates mum a long time ago.. will be painting it the same orange with black lugs.
Personly I'd leave the paint as is. Gives it a bit of attitude. Coupled with some nice parts, which it seems to be, it'd look lovely.

In other news I had a crash a month or so back that turned my front wheel to a potato chip, and my forks to twisties.
And my question is, do they make velocity aeroheads with non machined sidewalls?
As i'll most likely just get a velocity pre-built wheel through work. And some nice chrome Soma track forks.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Finally finished.

It's a bastardised bike, born from an old 27" 10 speed I stripped and resprayed the frame myself with Aussie Export. It's got massive clearances, but it's colour co-ordinated. The crankset is half Shimano/half Sugino and it's got old Club Roost pedals ready to tear your shin apart. Wheels were $150 delivered w/ tyres from eBay. Running 52-16 at the moment, chainline is a bit f***ed, so I'm working on the BB axle. Runs very smooth, loving it. Fork was an original, needed to file it open a bit to fit the 9.5mm axle of the wheels. Very happy- yeah, it's got brakes and no toe straps. Needs a few little things- new seat bolt and maybe a seat post that fits, but otherwise, it's all good for commuting to Uni.

Last edited:

HLC

Likes Dirt
Finally finished.

It's a bastardised bike, born from an old 27" 10 speed I stripped and resprayed the frame myself with Aussie Export. It's got massive clearances, but it's colour co-ordinated. The crankset is half Shimano/half Sugino and it's got old Club Roost pedals ready to tear your shin apart. Wheels were $150 delivered w/ tyres from eBay. Running 52-16 at the moment, chainline is a bit f***ed, so I'm working on the BB axle. Runs very smooth, loving it. Fork was an original, needed to file it open a bit to fit the 9.5mm axle of the wheels. Very happy- yeah, it's got brakes and no toe straps. Needs a few little things- new seat bolt and maybe a seat post that fits, but otherwise, it's all good for commuting to Uni.

looks good for a bastardised conversion!! Mines a hack job too for thrashing around

how do you find the Zuzi wheels. im looking for a second cheap wheelset option for my VISP build. I cant justify the price hike when my current 'stars' wheels are copping a shitload of abuse with no real issues so far.

Although with the front forks, i swapped the axle out of old 27" wheels into the front. that was a f*cked up job. But i might have a crack at filing it like you to put the original axle back in since i dont need the quick release anymore... not real keen to do so though. any tips???

HLC

Likes Dirt
got the frame,forks, cranks for free:)
its a viner was raced by my mates mum a long time ago.. will be painting it the same orange with black lugs.
looks awesome mate. leave the paint, its badass.

quick q, whered you get the eighth inch wheelset, and $$$ if you dont mind?

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^ How perfect for my following post.

Thinking of selling my fixie. As much fun as it is there are bikes that do what it does better.

SS roadie/geared roadie does long rides better.
And a light DJ bike or a short XC bike shreds around the city/dodges cars better.
Ladies cruiser is far more hip (and comfortable!) for coffee shop crawls.

I probably won't end up selling as the bike owes me about $400 so I couldn't get the most for it anyway.

If anyone is really interested this is what it looks like: PM me.

Comes with a red selle turbo saddle, better brakes and - drops if that's your thing.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fixed gear goes mainstream. Everyone sells their bikes. :rolleyes:
haha, i'll admit I got a fixie because everyone else had one and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It was fun, but other bikes could be funner.. or a longboard.

Lorday

Eats Squid
@Nat -Not looking for a go fast fixie (or I'd invest in a mash/geekhouse).

I broke one fixie and sold the other as I needed it for a different purpose.

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was in the Giant shop in town today and got quoted $$700 for this, original price $799.
It's a 2010 model, do you lot reckon it's worth it?

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
about 10 fucking cents, stop posting in this thread
Shut the fuck up man! He was asking a completely reasonable question and you're just being an unessecary dickhead. I've seen a lot of shitheadedness recently on farkin, but far out, that was probably the worst comment i've seen.

@ brokenbones: I would probably pass on the giant, the parts are all generic giant and the frameset is nothing special. It looks good out of the box though, and it'll get you from a to b. I'd just look elsewhere. A KHS Flite, Fuji Track, Surly steamroller and SE lager come in under the $1000 mark and are all good bikes in their own right - not just good value.

konasaurus

Likes Dirt
Oh well my days on this forum were numbered, so without arguing or making another post of simple shitheadedness I bid you farewell it was fun (a few years ago).

oh and g-fish nice europa

Last edited:

chuck_

Likes Dirt
@ brokenbones: i would also look at the felt brougham or the avanti solo flat. they are the best value for money and about the 799 price range and look pimp

struggles

Likes Dirt
@ brokenbones: i would also look at the felt brougham or the avanti solo flat. they are the best value for money and about the 799 price range and look pimp
If the Brougham is as good as my 2 year old Dispatch, It would be a great buy.

I ride mine between 20-40kms most days and have only just had to true the rear wheel on Wednesday.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Now I know this is probably a stupid question, but what is with the cards/paper things in the spokes on fixies?
I don't get it. Is it a tribute to something? Somewhere to keep your mail?
Please explain...

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Now I know this is probably a stupid question, but what is with the cards/paper things in the spokes on fixies?
I don't get it. Is it a tribute to something? Somewhere to keep your mail?
Please explain...
Pulls the babes, +4 street cred and sometimes they are cards from alleycat races. At least in Brisbane anyway.

Mail goes in the messenger bag.

Purt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They're spoke cards, you get them from entering races.

Although some people think they're so good and just put random bits of cardboard in there.

edit - My bad, didn't see the next page...