2010 Angry Doctor

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
I actually dont understand this logic to a certain degree.

Nothing AROC did on the weekend did any damage to the trails as the event was never held, mother nature did all of that.

I agree the repairs to the trails will take eons but are the trails "legal"? My understanding is that these trails have appeared over time & with the massive increase in poularity in MTB the locals have embraced them due to the economic benifites they bring. They are different to those as say Mt Stromlo as if the National Parks, Council, whover is responsible fop the land may bulldose them without notice.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
The answer to your questions and info about how aroc set up this race is in my posts 68 & 70 on page 7 (maybe a different page for some of you) of this thread.

Last edited:

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
Did the MTB trails follow the motorcycle trails which came first? Maybe we should thank the motorbike riders who probably rode there illegally. Obviously there must be some sort of co-operation going on with Forests NSW and the local MTBA associated bike clubs??
The answer to questions is in my posts 68 & 70 on page 7 (maybe a different page for some of you) of this thread.

Last edited:

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
You are wrongish. The motorbikes did do much of the groundwork, which we are thankful for. Some of the tracks are now approved by state forests (most of the Maulbrooks stufff), signposted etc. The local cycling club now has a MTB arm, and there are working bees etc to get trails up to scratch - along with individual efforts (big props to rstwosix, and heaps of others). Some trails aren't formally approved, and over time, some will be and some wont - its a massive area. As long as the motorbikers keep riding out there, many of the trails will remain, just as informal tracks. State forests cant close them down (not feasible), but they will remove structures.
Yes, this is correct. Thanks for the props too. The Eurobodalla Cyclists Club has a signed agreement with Forests NSW which allows us to build, use and maintain trails in an area off Maulbrooks Rd. We have a marked 14km loop which aroc include most of in their 100km race each year. For more details see my posts 68 & 70 on page 7 (maybe a different page for some of you) of this thread.

Last edited:

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
Don't worry Mikey, the people who like me who don't care about the money are thinking about the people on the south coast.

Is life returning back to some kind of normal yet? It was pretty bad on Sunday when we left. Worst storm conditions I have ever seen on the coast.

My parents were lucky, they missed the wind down at Pambula.
Yes, we got power back in Broulee early Sunday night. The trails are a real mess. Gonna take a long time to fix.

Last edited:

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Hi All,
I didnt do my doe at the Doctor(but i did at the CP), and I rode most of the course 2 weeks ago at MOGO- but i feel for everyone....BUT, I live at Ulladulla and our mtb tracks are all gone as well..BUT more so our town got smashed....and now it is pissing down with rain so all those with patchy roofs(or no roof at all) and no windows, etc are enduring more......
BUT keep up the moaning it makes for good reading............
Yeh we tried to ride at Ulladulla on the way home and them trails were trashed, we started moving stuff for about 300metres then gave up, definitely some work to do. A mate was staying at his in laws at Mollymook I think, and their next door neighbour lost the roof to their house.

Spiza

Squid
Yup, I have the two mags that were given out & I value my heartbeat too much to drink Redbull.

I have used the Tathra enduro ad though, I think I might enter that one.
Did anyone else here do CP, reach into their show bag pull out a box of Epsom Salts and think WTF is this SH!T doing in here?:confused: Seriously, what were they thinking!
I pulled out my timing chip, number plate and cable ties and threw the bag straight into the bin:rolleyes:

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Did anyone else here do CP, reach into their show bag pull out a box of Epsom Salts and think WTF is this SH!T doing in here?:confused: Seriously, what were they thinking!
An Epsom Salts bath can help soothe tire muscles - Combination of the extra buoyancy and magnesium being absorbed through the skin reducing inflammation.

Missing the point

Many of the posts here that defend AROC seemed to have missed the point. No one is blaming AROC for the weather and I am sure everyone agrees that the Angry Doctor and Irate Intern events could not have gone ahead last weekend given the decimation of the tracks. The majority of people also accept that they will not get a refund given that the T&C stated that no refund would be provided if the race was cancelled and could not be re-scheduled. No one is complaining simply because they didn’t get to do the race or because have been deprived of the pleasure of riding Mogo’s trails.

The main criticisms are about the way AROC managed the events and the way they have responded since on their website. All of AROC’s actions and responses to date point to:

1. A failure to properly assess and prepare for easily foreseeable risks.
2. A failure to have an appropriate contingency plan in place for the occurrence of adverse weather conditions that were forecast a week in advance and are not uncommon at any time of year on the south coast.
3. An attempt to change the T&C in the hope that no one would notice, presumably to lower the level their obligations to their customers.
4. A complete lack of common sense and disregard for the safety of all involved (and a complete lack of forethought about what riders actually want), as demonstrated in their attempts to cobble together an alternative event on the day. If the alternative 20km loop race had actually started and someone had been injured/killed by a falling tree then they would really be in very deep s#@t.

Anyone who actually competed in the final 8km debacle has real grounds for complaint, particularly anyone who was injured. There was no planning or risk assessment undertaken for that event. It also beared no resemblance to what you signed up for. It would therefore be very easy to argue that the indemnity form you signed was not valid. The indemnity form that you signed was for the Angry Doctor/Irate Intern/Nasty Nurse, not the alternative powerline event. Running a makeshift event with no risk assessment and planning and including two sections along side a 100km/hr highway without police permission and without traffic controls and signage must border on criminal negligence? Even the act of encouraging people to stay and ride in such conditions is dubious.

The response provided on their website demonstrates a complete lack of awareness of the potential consequences of their decisions. They seem to be trying to justify their actions claiming that everything was beyond their control and just a run of bad luck. Only the weather was beyond their control. Everything else - including risk and contingency planning, communication and decision-making - was all well within their control and part of their responsibility as ‘professional’ event organisers.

Their offer of a 10% discount and priority entry for next years race is no compensation. To actually benefit from this refund, you have to pay AROC more money! You must be kidding.

Yes, I knew the forecast for the weekend but chose to drive down anyway on the off chance that it wouldn’t be as bad as predicted. In doing this, however, I expected that AROC would make sensible, professional decisions about event cancellation if the forecast wind storm eventuated.

Then there is the poor communication. When I awoke to atrocious conditions on Sunday morning I had to make several phone calls to event operations managers to get an update on race status. When someone eventually answered the phone I was told that the start had been “postponed” but the event would “still be going ahead that day” and that an announcement would be made at 9am. Like many of the competitors who waited on the windy Mogo oval for AROC’s 9am announcement, I was optimistically acting on two assumptions:

1. That AROC had already looked at the course and decided that the race was still going ahead, perhaps in a slightly modified or shorted format. [At this stage we hadn’t been told about the extent of damage to the course. If we had, it would have been clear that any race rescheduled that day would bear no resemblance to what we all signed up and paid for and we probably wouldn’t have hung around.]
2. That if I made the decision to pull out of the race myself, before the 9am announcement, then there would be absolutely no way I could expect any form of refund. If, however it was AROC who made the decision to cancel, then at least there may be some grounds to expect some form of refund, even if only token.

I therefore waited for the 9am announcement. When they then announced that we would now need to wait around until 10.30 on the off chance that there may be a 20km loop course ready for us to ride at 12.30pm, I handed in my timing chip. Given what finally eventuated (the ill conceived and dangerous 8km powerline debacle) I clearly made the right choice.

Flabbergasted!

Their offer of a 10% discount and priority entry for next years race is no compensation. To actually benefit from this refund, you have to pay AROC more money! You must be kidding.
hey AROC
can i just have my $14 sent to me?
i won't be back and why should i pay another $140 (+ XXX if you decide to increase the cost again - which would make sense after this years shit fight)

WTF? > yeah, i'll give you another $126 dollars [$140 - my AMAZING 10% discount] in the off chance i may race. you would have to be a total idiot to pay another $140 again before knowing that weekends weather. if you are that idiot go give the money to charity instead

bet the T & C's will remain as no refunds. me, i'll stick with the event companies that will man/women up and reschedule accordingly