Forrest 6 Hour - June 5 2011

Timmy!!!

Likes Dirt
Just a little something that got put together on the weekend to give you an idea of the course and how sweet it is.

[video=youtube;92GBu-teLyU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92GBu-teLyU&feature=player_embedded[/video]
Yep.

That's the course I remember. Yar fucking hoo!

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
We've got a keen U17 looking to make up a team in either juniors or seniors.

Can ride pairs or triples for 6 hours

If you know of any juniors in particular that would like to make a team please PM me

Roland

Nath8

Likes Dirt
I did it rigid 29er SS last year and loved it. There is only one spot where you go, shit these are bad brake ruts. lots of fun.

Here is a comparision that I did last year between my 29er ss rigid and my geared dualie
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...-Geared-26er-v-SS-Rigid-29er&highlight=karate
Nice comparison. I've only been riding the rigid SS since January and I'm really enjoying it. So simple. I'm coming off a XTC 29er and I'm not missing it at all!!! The Kona Unit is just nicer to ride.
As for rough/technical tracks I've ridden it on, Upper Beaconsfield was a challenge, Buxton was good fun and Wombat was a blast. Lysty is my usual riding area and rigid works well there.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Just a little something that got put together on the weekend to give you an idea of the course and how sweet it is.

[video=youtube;92GBu-teLyU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92GBu-teLyU&feature=player_embedded[/video]
NOW 125% DOWN HILL!!!:cool:

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Norm or Roland,

Is there nothing that can be done to reduce the number of teams and increase the solo entries? Seems logical to me to increase solo to about 150 entrants.

My apologies if this has already been answered somewhere.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Norm or Roland,

Is there nothing that can be done to reduce the number of teams and increase the solo entries? Seems logical to me to increase solo to about 150 entrants.

My apologies if this has already been answered somewhere.
G'Day Steve,

When we originally discussed the event centre under the power lines and the length of course we wanted to run with DSE, the number 300 was agreed to be the upper limit. This year we have pushed that number closer to 400 to allow as many people as possible to enter.

The increase is as a direct result of reducing the number of solo riders on course. I think it was Russ Baker who came up with the "metres per rider" number. Imagine a three lane freeway with very little traffic, and the same freeway in gridlock during peak hour.

Which would you prefer to drive on?

Race courses are the same, if you put too many riders on at once you end up with everyone having to constantly slow down due to "traffic"

Basically in a six hour race, you want every rider to have a fun day. This includes the solo's who lap all day, up to the teams of four out for a day of fun.

The two ways you can increase race numbers is by extending the length of the course to keep within the "metres per rider", or to reduce solo riders and increase teams.

Option 1: Increase course length from 10km up to 15km to fit more riders. No problem for the solo, but the team of four find that one rider spends all day at the six hour and quite possibly only gets to ride one lap. Not a lot of fun for that rider. (We have a lot of downhill, but the extra 5km would involve a lot more going up, slowing lap times)

Option 2: Decrease solo, increase teams. No problem for the solo, and the team of four, with shortened laps, get to ride three or perhaps four laps during the day. Much more fun for all, while also maintaining the sustainability of the trail network.

The negative is that some people miss out, the positive for the club is that it allows us to attract more sponsors and provide better prizes / prizemoney and event centre for every competitor.

For those outside Forrest MTB & Cycling Club, we don't charge members to attend a race for 11 months and 29 days per year, the only race club members pay for is the Forrest 6Hour, so proceeds from the 6Hour are used to run the club for the remainder of the year, (including our trail maintenance program currently being rolled out).

Rotorburners' may or may not agree - but that's the way we do it.

Hope this helps and happy to answer any other questions

Regards

Roland
Forrest MTB & Cycling Club Secretary

Last edited:

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
In addition of Rolands email... it's ver rare to find any 6 hour event anywhere in Australia that has more than about 300 entrants.

The reason is simple... the more riders on track = the longer the course you have = the longer the lap = less laps per team member... simple equation.

Hence why the big number events are always either 24 hour = longer lap times don't matter or point to point = spread the competitors out more.

Sorry if you've missed out, but trust me you will have a good time in a team.... and there are still about 100 places left in team entries.

Cheers

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the concise answers fellas. It just seemed strange to me that solo sold out within 24hrs, and yet the teams are, two weeks later, barely over half filled. Supply and demand point of view here. I understand the reasons for your decisions now.

I didn't miss out, but I have a few friends who did. I have been trying to convince them to enter as a team.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Appreciate your support Steve... just one thing though. In terms of "only half sold" in the teams... let's just put that into perspective. We've sold more than 280 entries in approx 16 days.
That's more than 15 people entering each day. Not bad for a little feral club like ours I would suggest? The event is still 50 days away... therefore based on those numbers we should expect to sell out of team entries within the next 2 weeks.

Cheers.

We do have plans for another event down the track that will cater for much more solo riders... stay tuned for the "Forrest Feral Fiddy"

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think you're selling yourself short with the feral comment Norm. I trust you'll be selling club memberships at the 6hr this year? If so, I'm keen to buy one and contribute.

Forrest Feral Fiddy sounds interesting. Fiddy mile or K?

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Membership

I think you're selling yourself short with the feral comment Norm. I trust you'll be selling club memberships at the 6hr this year? If so, I'm keen to buy one and contribute.

Forrest Feral Fiddy sounds interesting. Fiddy mile or K?
Yep, happy to sign people up wherever.

Cash or Cheque only I'm afraid

Roland

serowe

Likes Dirt
Track Densities have been in place in a number of sports for many many years - motor sport would probably be the one most are familiar with (usually expressed in terms of grid capacity or grid limits). Some tracks (Bathurst notably) is limited not by the length of the track and number of vehicles but by pit garage availability. This ois also an issue at many MTB venues as well - it's no good having 300+ competitors when you only have space for 50.

If anyone has watched any HPV events at Maryborough in VIC or Murray Bridge in SA you will have seen two examples of a good and bad 'track density' in play - Maryborough, on a 1.4km track, allows a maximum of 85 vehicles or about 16.5 metres per vehicle. Murray Bridge, at their worst, allowed on a 2.3 km track or 10 metres per vehicle. Doesn't sound much, but it meant very few gaps in traffic with very little space available for passing and plenty of bumps and grinds taking place. MB with an extended track still only allow 12.8 metres per vehicle.

I was surprised, when Tim first got into MTB events, that this wasn't implemented back then as it not only has issues for passing and general riding, but also safety implications. Think of a crowded track being like the start of an event - and being like that on every lap...

HeavyHauler

Cannon Fodder
Trail difficulty ?

Hi all,
Just wondering if someone could let me know how difficult this track is for someone that is just getting into MTB from a Road background. My main concern is the technical aspect of the trail that is being used as on the website it showed part of it is on an advanced section of trail.

thanks.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's a couple of log rollovers, one technical rock to get over (1:25 in the vid) which beginners tend to have trouble with, some bumpy braking zones, a few short steep drops with some ruts, some off camber corners with rocks and plenty of berms. The rest is sweeping, flowing, fast singletrack and a little bit of fireroad. There's one section where the grass trees are very close to the track and can cause problems if you hit them (they don't move very much).

This video gives you some idea.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wish I was doing it again, that's a very good vid of the course !

I'll be in East Timor thinking of you all:(

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Entries almost sold out

G'Day All,

As of 10.20am Friday morning there are only SIX places left.

It's now or never for 2011

Regards

Roland