Forrest 6 Hour - June 5 2011

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
Did it solo last year, a cold and wet ride, but such good fun. I missed sign up this year, forgot to set it on my calendar. I hope everyone has a good time, maybe I can volunteer or take pictures. :)

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Did it solo last year, a cold and wet ride, but such good fun. I missed sign up this year, forgot to set it on my calendar. I hope everyone has a good time, maybe I can volunteer or take pictures. :)
More than happy for you to come down and volunteer

P.M. me if interested

Roland

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
The club had 12 people out again yesterday working on the course.

Primarily putting down limestone and clearing drains.

While we can't guarantee dry conditions, it won't be a drive-train-destroying-mud-fest.

See you all next Sunday

Roland

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I see the forecast this week in Forrest suggests a bit of rain. Might be time to put on the Rocket Ron tyres me thinks....

btothec

Likes Dirt
he doesnt like mud! he ate too much of it at Bendigo and it hurt him :(
Meh it's a Mountain Bike it's supposed to get dirty and muddy. There's a nice piece of rail trail you can ride the Pivot up and down if you don't want to get it muddy :p or maybe a road bike and laps of Beach Rd would be more your thing :p

riderideride

Likes Dirt
Meh it's a Mountain Bike it's supposed to get dirty and muddy. There's a nice piece of rail trail you can ride the Pivot up and down if you don't want to get it muddy :p or maybe a road bike and laps of Beach Rd would be more your thing :p
hmmm dont think you can talk....your Pivot is always in pieces :p maybe if you showed it as much love as I show mine it would be nicer to you ;)

gadget1

Likes Dirt
hope you didn't slash the grasstrees on casper black. that's what gives it its character, like night riding during the day. love casper, just don't tell anyone...

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
hope you didn't slash the grasstrees on casper black. that's what gives it its character, like night riding during the day. love casper, just don't tell anyone...
Slash is a very strong word. I would call it a small prune, primarily on the side facing the trail, allowing the trail to be ridden as built.

Unfortunately what you often find is that riders are "scared" by grass trees and try to ride around them, resulting in trail widening and eliminating the lines built into the trail.

For those who enjoy riding "through" grass trees, this unfortunately means we may not enjoy the trail quite so much. The pruning is not permanent and grass trees will grow back better than ever.

"some of the riders most of the time - never all of the riders all of the time"

Roland

Mullo54

Cannon Fodder
Course Change

Anyone have any idea how long the solo loop is after the course change? Looks a little lengthy. If I'm coming up to the finish at 5hr 50min I don't think I'll be doing another one!

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone have any idea how long the solo loop is after the course change? Looks a little lengthy. If I'm coming up to the finish at 5hr 50min I don't think I'll be doing another one!
If I had to guess I'd say about between 13 & 14km now. Someone set this straight please.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
The new solo course should have an average lap of less than 60mins. For a solo rider, the length of the lap isn't as important as it is for a team rider.

Trust me though... the solo course is anything BUT tiresome. It truly is almost entirely downhill.

btothec

Likes Dirt
Trust me though... the solo course is anything BUT tiresome. It truly is almost entirely downhill.
I'll agree with Norm on this. I've done a few laps of the solo course already and it's a pretty good. Plenty of areas to eat/drink/stretch. The laps I've done on it were at a very cruisey pace and were around the 50 minute mark.

Here is a little bit of garmin data from one of my laps. This version of the lap uses a section of fire road that I did by mistake. Actual course length by my reckoning will be around 11 km.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/87688578