The hardtail riding thread

Daneel

Likes Dirt
I've still got my KHE Mac2 Folding tyres on my bike from the first page (24" black NS Sub) and they still stick like the proverbial on velcro - wouldn't look at anything else unless someone had good proof they were better.

Oh, and no flats in almost two years of ownership - still on the original tubes -maxxis welter weights. Pump them up good and hard if you run them - 60psi!

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's soft... DTH - 80psi, and it's still not hard enough (yeh I'm a hack haha)

I havn't found a grippier tyre for street then the DTH, and they are super grippy on dirt (which I found surprising) they have NO grip at monster/wooden ramps, when they are even slightly dusty/wet (but does any tyre) also one of the fastest 26" tyres i'v found, I wish they were rated to 100 psi tho!
I'll bother to fix my flat on Friday and go for a pedal, I think I was just unlucky to get two flats in one night

I'v run crossmarks, they went allright, alittle sketchy on street/park.
Also not a big fan of table tops, for street.
Both great dirt only tyres.

All the other tyres i'v tried were poo, I havnt ridden KHE on my bike but one of my mates had them, light, fast, about as grippy as an oiled banana peel on a vinyl floor

does anyone do a 26" tyre that takes 100psi or more? Don't say hookworm haha.

Daneel

Likes Dirt
I think the mac2's will go up to around 90.. The air compressor at the service station only does up to 60 psi otherwise I'd be running maybe 65-70. :p

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeh I thought they were a fairly high pressure tyre, but do they come in 26"

Nah they're too slippery anyway

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why do you want to get up to 100 rohan? I run 40-60 on my mtb and only a little more on my bmx. The landings get too harsh otherwise.

i run 110 on my bmx and 95 on the mtb (theyre only rated for 85, but men dont read instructions). perfect :) if i run less than 80 it feels flat, and i love the feeling of your bike just rolling forever

Last edited:

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty cool story rob

I have seen a few tyres blow out from over inflation, so Mayb I am scared haha

Freedom tomoro arvo?

not without a brake and on bmx. feels awkward as hell on anything but street... and im waiting for a package that should come in the afternoon but i could do a morning ride at chatswood or st ives or something (maybe cc but id probs just take photos there, not riding trails without a brake)

and seeing as your in mexico now can you get me a burrito? :p

Last edited:

Daneel

Likes Dirt
Yeh I thought they were a fairly high pressure tyre, but do they come in 26"

Nah they're too slippery anyway
Sure do. Although I don't like them up too high - they get bouncy and skittish.. I just run them at a comfortable pressure - hard enough not to pinch, soft enough to grip and absorb.

do you ride mostly dirt, street or park?

for dirt i would usually run lower pressure, but for park i like my tyres rock hard

i also run them that high because its fun to watch your bike bounce to shoulder height when bailing

Last edited:

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i also run them that high because its fun to watch your bike bounce to shoulder height when bailing
Ever had it bounce up and hit you? Not fun haha

Fair enough daneel, I might look at trying them next, where abouts on the north shore do you ride?

Haha and no rob, get your own burritos, it's Mexico because it's below the boarder... And mexicans can't play footy for crap ;)

Daneel

Likes Dirt
I live up near Hornsby, but happy to travel anywhere north of the city really.. My usual park is Thornleigh skatepark, but I like Manly and Chatswood too. We should go for a ride sometime so we can laugh at my poor skills :p

Whereabouts are your usual haunts?

Daneel

Likes Dirt
Sorry for the double post.. Edit doesn't seem to work from apple iDevices..

SSFreeride: Come and have a try on my bike and see what you think of the tyres.. I've been pretty happy with them, so I'm surprised to hear someone say they haven't lived up to expectations.

Manly/chatswood/other skatepark next weekend maybe guys? I can't make it this weekend - out riding my other bike >.<

I'll hit you up on PM.

i occasionally ride thornleigh, mostly st ives and a little bit of riding at chatswood. im up for a ride most of the time so send me a PM with a time and i should make it.

rohan: no, but ive had my bike bounce up and hit a scooter kid in the head. that was extremely fun :) thats what you get for riding right behind me when im going up a quarter

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had my bmx bounce a good 3m in the air and come down front wheel/fork first onto a ledge which cracked my headtube. Beat that.

dont think i want to :/ what frame was it?

found a very good technique for getting out of the riding rut ive been in. now trying something new every time i go ride no excuses :) got a few nollie 180s today and screwed up my hip trying truckdrivers. didnt know my leg could go around full 180 and not dislocate. starting to think that may have been a bad idea :confused:

Last edited:

Suburban rider

Likes Dirt
Hey guys
what seat and post combos do you guys use?
i'm looking for the lightest set up out there running 27.2mm post, as i'm about to buy something but i want the lightest i can get my hands on.
any answers would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers
Tom

if you want a straight up light setup, id say the octane one nylon post cut to like 100mm and get a stripped pivotal seat (if you are really crazy about weight, you can then swap the bolt for a Ti M10 x 1.5). if you want a 1 peice look at the gusset integral, its the only 1pc seat/post i know of. but you can always buy a bmx size 1pc and use a shim

light and comfortable, thats a different story.

Last edited: