The hardtail riding thread

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Turns out there was a little pump track 100m up the road from where I was staying in Northbridge. Rode castle cove a few times but was too drunk and partying to make it to the 4x track or red hill. But ill be back!

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Turns out there was a little pump track 100m up the road from where I was staying in Northbridge. Rode castle cove a few times but was too drunk and partying to make it to the 4x track or red hill. But ill be back!
I was going to say, there's a cool little pumptrack at northbridge, the grove is shite now, freedom is gone, redhill and castle cove are fairly unloved, but there's plenty to ride! Had a little ride at chatswood the other evening... Love that park!

Anyway, come visit me in christchurch! I have a guest room (and hopefully a car) now!

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any Melbourne homies get amped on riding hard tails these days?

Dirt jumps, BMX tracks, sperm berms, DS or pump tracks?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Any Melbourne homies get amped on riding hard tails these days?

Dirt jumps, BMX tracks, sperm berms, DS or pump tracks?
Always seems to be bmx hoods at Kensington whenever I take the kids down to smash their teeth out on the dirt jumps.

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
Thinking of getting some Maxxis Flyweight tubes for my dirt jumper to bring down the weight a bit: any thoughts? I normally run about 60 - 80 psi in my tyres (Kenda SB8s) and consider myself to be a pretty smooth rider (although I do case jumps some times), so hopefully pinch flats wouldn't be a problem.

mlucko

Likes Dirt
I've run them before...
It really depends where and what you ride most.. For example my old trails had a fair amount of glass around from local yobbos smashing stubbie bottles everywhere and heaps of thorns and the local skatepark also had heaps of glass especially in summer all the local derros smash bottles there so I'd take a broom to it just to ride... Needless to say I did still get a lot of punctures even with high pressures (80psi+).
I didn't think the weight saving was great enough to warrant all the punctures i had, so I switched back to regular tubes and am getting far less flats...

I might just be one case though, I'm sure there are others who would sing praise to them...
hope this helps :)

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
I've run them before...
It really depends where and what you ride most.. For example my old trails had a fair amount of glass around from local yobbos smashing stubbie bottles everywhere and heaps of thorns and the local skatepark also had heaps of glass especially in summer all the local derros smash bottles there so I'd take a broom to it just to ride... Needless to say I did still get a lot of punctures even with high pressures (80psi+).
I didn't think the weight saving was great enough to warrant all the punctures i had, so I switched back to regular tubes and am getting far less flats...

I might just be one case though, I'm sure there are others who would sing praise to them...
hope this helps :)
Yeah, so I do mostly dirt jumping but there is a bit of commuting involved to get to the trails (and possibly thorns/glass). Sounds like it might be too much of a hassle so might give it a miss or look into the thicker walled 'Welter weights'. Thanks for that mate.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Yeah, so I do mostly dirt jumping but there is a bit of commuting involved to get to the trails (and possibly thorns/glass). Sounds like it might be too much of a hassle so might give it a miss or look into the thicker walled 'Welter weights'. Thanks for that mate.
I've been running the same set of welter weights in my dj for coming up on 3 years. Including commuting with broken glass and trail riding over rocks and whatever else.