The Single Speed Thread

Boxer

Likes Dirt
Here is my new bike, I finished putting to together today and took it on it's maiden ride. It's my first Single Speed and my first 29er so was a learning experiance.

Frame: Specialized Carve SS
Forks: Rock Shox RCT3
Wheels: Stans ZTR Crest
Tyres : Schwalbe Racing Ralph
Cranks : Shimano XT
Brakes: Shimano XT
Bars: Easton EC70 Carbon
Seat Post: Easton EC70 Carbon
Seat: Fizik Tundra
thought id finally get around to posting up my specialized stumpjumper SS.
its running Rockshox rebas RL 80mm travel, stylo cranks, slx brakes, thomson stem and seatpost, a set of giant wheels and a set of carbon PRO bars. currently running 34/19 gearing. weighs in right on 10kg in an XL.
View attachment 262491
Where do you guys find your bikes/frames??

Been looking for a couple of months for bikes just like these and come up with squat

disappearin

Likes Dirt

Been looking for a couple of months for bikes just like these and come up with squat
I got mine as a frame and built it up. I was having trouble finding one, i made a ton of phone calls and found nothing. Ended up giving drift bikes a call in Newcastle. They went above and beyond to chase one up for me. Had it in my hands a few days later. Highly impressed with them.
What size are you after?

Boxer

Likes Dirt
Large,

Steveob has the perfect frame for me in the For sale section, but his frame price is my entire budget for a bike :( ($1500 or so)

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Large,

Stevob has the perfect frame for me in the For sale section, but his frame price is my entire budget for a bike :( ($1500 or so)
The Stumpy hardtails are beautiful frames for sure, and the 2013 carbon SS is top shelf (hence the price - call your Speccy dealer for a quote). Specialized don't make a SS Stumpy in aluminium any more. Disappearin's frame is gorgeous. I always wanted one of those.

If you're looking to build up a nice light bike for a lot less, look at the Specialized Carve SS.

edit...I see you've looked for a Carve already. The black and white frames are 2012, and were sold as frame only. The 2013 is all black and is sold as complete bikes only. But you probably already knew that...;)

Last edited:

Boxer

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys,

I am on the cusp of Med/Large (I have one of each currently in my geared bikes) And thought maybe a Large is the go, but would look at a Med if it came up.

Steveob - yes aware of the Carve offerings, no frames in my size left eventhough advertisers still list them on bikeexchange. Only XL left.

The black 2013's are basically all gone too, and to be honest I am not sure I am up to a fully rigid bike just yet, maybe down the track, so there's another $600 or so for a 80mm fork I'd want to add to it, making it a $2200 bike.

I'll keep looking on here, gumtree, ebay etc

scubasully

Likes Bikes
Creswick 3 hour this weekend?

Hey guys anyone having a ride this weekend
For the first race of the inter winter series at Creswick?
I love my single speed but have no idea how if the course has much climbing ? Does anyone know if it's a good course for the SS, also suggestions on gearing would be sweet
I raced the you yangs 6 hour on a 32:18 but that was a pretty
Flat course
Thanks any suggestions would be awesome

mr626

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

For those of you that have used one of the DMR kits to convert a bike to SS, did you use a SS chain, or a 'normal' chain?

I've ordered the DMR kit to convert an old mongoose hard tail. From my reading, this kit is designed to use a normal chain- people that try using a SS chain find that they don't run through the tensioner properly due to the extra width.

Plus, given I'm on a tight budget the plan is to reuse one of the exisiting front chain rings (in combination with the rear cog that comes with the DMR kit).

Hopefully I'll be okay using a non SS chain with this combo?

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all,

For those of you that have used one of the DMR kits to convert a bike to SS, did you use a SS chain, or a 'normal' chain?

I've ordered the DMR kit to convert an old mongoose hard tail. From my reading, this kit is designed to use a normal chain- people that try using a SS chain find that they don't run through the tensioner properly due to the extra width.

Plus, given I'm on a tight budget the plan is to reuse one of the exisiting front chain rings (in combination with the rear cog that comes with the DMR kit).

I tried an SS chain with the DMR conversion kit and the roller bit was a tiny bit too small. The bike would still pedal ok but the chain just rubbed on the roller and would probably tear it if I kept riding it this way. It was a pretty chunky chain so so I am not sure if you can get a SS specific chain that is slightly thiner. I also tried a 28t widget up front as I wanted an SS that could climb like a mountain goat and I bent the widget with the SS chain.

Before all this I did the tight arse conversion of an old 9 speed chain and a pretty worn middle ring with the DMC kit and it worked fine, although my days were probably numbered on when the chain would skip.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Hi all,

I haven't used one of the DMR tensioners but would not expect a 1/8" single speed chain (i.e. track chain) to fit but I would equally expect a 3/8" single speed chain to work fine. You don't want/need a 1/8" chain for a mountain bike.

Last edited:

wombat

Lives in a hole
I've got a dmr sts on the old trials bike, and the roller wouldn't fit a kmc 710, slot is too marrow. So I pulled the roller off and threw on a shimano jockey wheel, sans bushing. Lighter, quieter and takes the wider chain happily.

mr626

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the replies all. As it happens the Rockadile I'm building up didn't come with a chain, so I had to order one regardless.

Went with a KMC Z82. Cheap and cheerful, but should be okay.

Twisted&Broken

Likes Bikes

Hi Boxer

I looked on bike exchange and then jumped on the phone and called Specialized dealers until I found a frame.

I wanted to go with the frame and build it up as I think I got a better spec than the factory built bike and wanted suspension forks. In the end it probable cost the same as getting the complete bike and adding the forks.

mr626

Likes Bikes
After much youtube-watching, reading, swearing and cursing my single speed is complete.

It's nowhere near as nice as most bikes in this thread, but that's okay. Was mainly done as a learning experience. The main thing that I learnt was that I hate cassette lock rings :Cry:

New parts:

-Vitus stem
-DMR Single speed kit
-KMC Z82 chain

Recycled from other random bikes:

Crankset, pedals, rims, tyres, grips, Eaton EA30 bars

The fork is rubbish, but I don't know how rubbish yet- will know after I take it for a ride tonight. I wasn't able to mount the DMR tensioner exactly as designed, but it seems to be okay as is.

The plan is to ride it for a while, then sell/give it away to make room for a new project.

Last edited:

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's nowhere near as nice as most bikes in this thread, but that's okay. Was mainly done as a learning experience. The main thing that I learnt was that I hate cassette lock rings :Cry:
Yeah but I bet it is more sick!!! :whoo:

Hitting the trail on a crappy bike reminds you just how good it is to feel trail again.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very nice Jim. That will be a blast on your local trails! Or anywhere for that matter. Congrats!
Thanks Steve! I'll be riding this exclusively during the cool months (when not on roadie) and will race it too. I rode the last few laps at Forrest in SS mode and it was fun... plus I wasn't much slower! :)