The Single Speed Thread

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
Any Single speeders entering the Granite Grind coming up (Feb 24). I'm making the trophies for the event, yours will be worth grinding for... :)

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Any Single speeders entering the Granite Grind coming up (Feb 24). I'm making the trophies for the event, yours will be worth grinding for... :)
OCD - dont push it mate then if I enter I will be the only SSer and get the price of an XXL carbon Hardball...........yippie

Bundy boy

Likes Dirt
Just put my entry in, thats the good news. The bad news is it has been a couple on months since my last time on a mtb single speed, but who cares about that us single speeders dont race for trophys we ride for the after race drinks :)

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Anybody hitting Mt Major tomorrow?
Could be a good thing for those thinking of doing the Vic SS series later in the year.
Thinking the combo of 32/20 should be ok.
Bloody legs hurting just thinking about it.
Cheers
MH

Toughy

Likes Bikes
Whinge Slida

For too long have delayed sharing pics of the SS built up a few months back, so here's the Whinge Slida in all its glory.

Slida.jpg

Made a few changes from the original setup so it now has a different wheels, bar and stem.

100_0463.jpg

Just wish I could be out riding it instead of sitting at home with a busted shoulder.

mb63

Likes Bikes
My newie

Building my Decade single speed, learnt 2 things out over the last few years they are that I rarely if ever use the 9 gears I have now and, I'm such a fat bastard that I need to pedal a bit to get fit so here I am.

Figured this forum was a good place to get ideas and criticism, or maybe just a little encouragement.

Anyway here it is, any ideas on gearing would be appreciated, new to the whole pedalling thing so be kind, there are a few hilly areas around but it's not too steep.

About the build so far, Kinesis Decade Versa, Velocity VXC wheelset with Kenda 8 tyres, Marta SL brakes - new 180mm rotors on the way,Tora 302 forks (not too fussed but going rigid yet is maybe a step too far, Crank Bros bars, going to be 50mm stem and 175mm cranks. Sticking with my Fizik seat fetish and will decide on stem soon, waiting on my horizontal dropouts to arrive and then will finish and post it here.

Attachments

huskies

Squid
Tathra Enduro single speed gearing.

Doing the 100km on the single speed this year and would like to hear what gearing people are using for this race.
I did the 50km with a 32x18 last year and found that to be ok.

Thanks

joshhat98

Likes Bikes
Could i please get some help with my problem?

Hello,

I recently broke my Hanger on my Apollo Vigilante, it was running single speed with a Tensioner, but now i can't run it.

1. Can i run single speed on Vertical Dropouts?
2. What's problems am I going to in-counter?

All that said, I tried it today. Problem was the chain, When i had it with 89 Links it would fall off as soon as I pedal and with 88 Links it is to short. Yes.. I counted the links

I'm going to take a bet on that it's still the original 8 speed chain on the bike (bought it used). Do i need a SS chain, or is something else wrong? I found a SRAM PC1 chain will this work? (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=22771)

It's a 16 tooth rear cog and a 32 tooth front chainwheel. Is this a good ratio for riding to school..

On a side note, has any one used 'Schwalbe Crazy Bob Sport Tyres'? (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=24632)

Thanks in advance for your help.

creaky

XMAS Plumper

Hello,

I recently broke my Hanger on my Apollo Vigilante, it was running single speed with a Tensioner, but now i can't run it.

All that said, I tried it today. Problem was the chain, When i had it with 89 Links it would fall off as soon as I pedal and with 88 Links it is to short. Yes.. I counted the links

I'm going to take a bet on that it's still the original 8 speed chain on the bike (bought it used). Do i need a SS chain, or is something else wrong? I found a SRAM PC1 chain will this work? (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=22771)

It's a 16 tooth rear cog and a 32 tooth front chainwheel. Is this a good ratio for riding to school..

On a side note, has any one used 'Schwalbe Crazy Bob Sport Tyres'? (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=24632)

Dude ... stop posting the same question in 4 threads ! Everyone will ignore you if you do that.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Firstly here's my SS Rig, the old Brodie Kinetic CroMo, snazzy black paintjob and new bits on it off a new bike I brought. Actually I'd purchased a 14T cog for the rear, not sure if it would have worked without a tensioner or half link or something as the current ratio is 34/16 and pretty spot on except that it's too flat where I live so was looking for a harder gear to be able to ride to work a bit faster. But I brought a new bike same day the cog was ready for pick up, oh well, the new geared bike saves me maybe 5min max...20min instead of 25. Probably first time I actually have a use for the big ring (with not doing much offroad riding...well if at all these days :( ) Anyway I am looking at selling the SS rig. ($350 sound reasonable? A lot of newish parts, some off the new bike I brought;Easton EA50 bar / stem, AlexRims ID19 rims on formula hubs, original Manitou SX fork, original Race Face Prodigy Cranks, FSA Chainring, Prologo Saddle, Gravity Light post, new clarks chain, old v brakes and tyres though.

Brodie.jpg

Hello,

32/16 is a pretty good ratio, if it's good for riding to school depends how hilly it is where you live. I live in a flat place now and have 34/16 on my bike, which is pretty good unless I'm in a rush to get somewhere. The reason I run that ratio though is because it's what works so that the chain isn't loose etc, but this doesn't mean the chain won't stretch over time and then become a bit loose. When I had an STP I ran 32/16, I lived in a hillier place and it seemed like a good ratio (it was also the "magic ratio" for that bike, no tensioner or half link required).

Your option is to look at changing your ratio, or get a half link chain (or one that takes a half link to make it just the right length). But what sort of chain you can run can depend what sort of cog is in the back, for example I've got a DaBomb ss kit on the back of my current bike (above) and that wouldn't suit a 9spd chain, but the clarks SS chain I brought fits fine both in regards to the rear cog and the front chaining. I can't really advise you in regards to chains, it still confuses me at times!

That's about all I can say, maybe do a search into "magic ratios" see if changing the front chainring to a 34T or the rear cog to something bigger / smaller would work better.

Twisted&Broken

Likes Bikes
Here is my new bike, I finished putting to together today and took it on it's maiden ride. It's my first Single Speed and my first 29er so was a learning experiance.

Frame: Specialized Carve SS
Forks: Rock Shox RCT3
Wheels: Stans ZTR Crest
Tyres : Schwalbe Racing Ralph
Cranks : Shimano XT
Brakes: Shimano XT
Bars: Easton EC70 Carbon
Seat Post: Easton EC70 Carbon
Seat: Fizik Tundra

Attachments

mr626

Likes Bikes
In about a weeks time I take delivery of a 2009 GT Peace 9R SS. Can't wait!

It's my first 29er, my first SS and my first 'proper' MTB. Maybe not the safest 'newbie' choice, but I got it at a good price so worst case and I hate it I can always sell I guess.

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Any SSers out there want to hit up the Golden Triangle Epic course this Sunday?
The Bendigo MTB club are holding a course familiarisation day this Sunday.
I`m going to take the Karate Monkey a spin as it is feeling neglected since the new puppy arrived in the shed.
Cheers.
MH

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In about a weeks time I take delivery of a 2009 GT Peace 9R SS. Can't wait!

It's my first 29er, my first SS and my first 'proper' MTB. Maybe not the safest 'newbie' choice, but I got it at a good price so worst case and I hate it I can always sell I guess.
Cool, I always wanted one but I could not track one down in my size. It's a shame they do not make them anymore. I think it is the perfect bike for a newbie as there is less stuff to stuff around with :thumb:

mr626

Likes Bikes
Cool, I always wanted one but I could not track one down in my size. It's a shame they do not make them anymore. I think it is the perfect bike for a newbie as there is less stuff to stuff around with :thumb:
I just got lucky I think. Found one at the right price, in great condition and in my size.

I love the simplicity of it. Very weird riding such a quiet bike too- the only noise is the road-noise made by the tyres. If you ever need a MTB to sneak up behind someone on, this is the one!

disappearin

Likes Dirt
thought id finally get around to posting up my specialized stumpjumper SS.
its running Rockshox rebas RL 80mm travel, stylo cranks, slx brakes, thomson stem and seatpost, a set of giant wheels and a set of carbon PRO bars. currently running 34/19 gearing. weighs in right on 10kg in an XL.
stumpjumper ss (small).jpg